You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I ordered Manhunt...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
merely human

Default I ordered Manhunt...

...and it should arrive this Tuesday or Wednesday.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Homer of Kittens

WHY? The game is sick

Firefox rules
Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
merely human

I know. But I read that the gameplay is pretty solid. And....and it was only $10 at EB, and I'm desperate to play a new game on Xbox.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #4
merely human

I also ordered Project Gotham Racing 2, and Links 2004 (big R is a golf slut and this is the only way I'll get him to game, he liked the demo).

Should I order Thief III? They have it for $18.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #5
Homer of Kittens

Well it is a stealth kind of game, where you hide in the shadows (like splinter cell). But killing people as a hobby of a sick madman? By stabbing them with a glass shard or suffocating them with a plastic bag? Even in Rockstar's standards, that game was over the top. I've played the Grand theft auto games, and they are nowhere close to this game in pure graphics violence.

Firefox rules
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Should I order Thief III? They have it for $18.
I have that game for PC, but haven't really played much past the training level in the beginning (just to make sure it worked on my computer). It seemed like a medieval Splinter Cell, sorta. Eventually I'll actually play when its time comes from the stack of games ahead of it.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Well it is a stealth kind of game, where you hide in the shadows (like splinter cell). But killing people as a hobby of a sick madman? By stabbing them with a glass shard or suffocating them with a plastic bag? Even in Rockstar's standards, that game was over the top. I've played the Grand theft auto games, and they are nowhere close to this game in pure graphics violence.
Yeah, I know. I read a bunch of reviews and watched gameplay footage..... . Erm, we'll see how long I last.

BTW, where do you live? I'd like to come over and, um.....talk about it with you when I'm done playing. You don't mind if I bring my lucky baseball bat and chainsaw, do you?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
Homer of Kittens

Thief 3 is an awesome game. Definitely go for it

Firefox rules
Old 07-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I have that game for PC, but haven't really played much past the training level in the beginning (just to make sure it worked on my computer). It seemed like a medieval Splinter Cell, sorta. Eventually I'll actually play when its time comes from the stack of games ahead of it.
I've only played the demo (on my sister's computer). It's very pretty looking, but there were some crappy things, like some NPCs looked downright ugly and blocky. I would've gotten the PC version but I can't upgrade my system for another few months at least. I guess I could treat it exactly like you said, a medieval Splinter Cell, sorta. I'll just play it through in 3rd person.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah, I know. I read a bunch of reviews and watched gameplay footage..... . Erm, we'll see how long I last.

BTW, where do you live? I'd like to come over and, um.....talk about it with you when I'm done playing. You don't mind if I bring my lucky baseball bat and chainsaw, do you?
Errrmmm... Hancock/New Paltz NY. Just ask for Ron Jeremy.

Firefox rules
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
Epinionated.

Call yourself a gamer? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED A THIEF GAME.

BUY THIEF 3. I have it, but for some reason it doesn't like my PC - annoying, as it's an incredible game. It's actually got one of the best sections in gaming (apparently) - an incredibly frightening level called The Cradle.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
merely human

Bitch, I've played the very first Thief.

Okay, okay! I'll order it in a couple weeks.

BTW, the games I ordered are cheap becaus they're all pre-owned.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:25 AM   #13
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

"Like a medieval Splinter Cell."
Oh that hurts my soul :/ Splinter Cell is a modern Thief clone, and a pretty weak one too, and don't you forget it :/
Old 07-08-2005, 03:02 AM   #14

Quote:
But I read that the gameplay is pretty solid.
Yeah, like suffocating people with plastic bags.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #15
Epinionated.

Since I've played that game, I can't stop myself from doing that...

...then I played TMOS, and now I'm better. Although now I keep trying to enter locked doors in a peculiar manner and talking to dodgy looking thugs on streetcorners.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Since I've played that game, I can't stop myself from doing that...
I don't care whether or not Manhunt makes people do that, nor whether you consider it to have better "gameplay" and more "creative" design than some other games.

I know for sure that I don't consider having players suffocating people with plastic bags an entertaining activity, no matter how brillant it is implemented.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 07-08-2005 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 AM   #17

You know, if in Manhunt you played a good guy thrown in this sinister game, I'm pretty sure the violence would be justified by some of the same people who complaints about the moral issues.

What if you played an undercover cop, and the main objective was to bring an end to this sick gameshow, and to make sure the cover isn't blown you have to act as a coldblooded killer and actually WIN the game.

This would be justification enough for some people. Not that I'm for this kind of games...
Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I know for sure that I don't consider having players suffocating people with plastic bags an entertaining activity, no matter how brillant it is implemented.
I hope I never find out, but I kind of doubt that being suffocated with a plastic bag is worse than being shot in the gut...
Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #19
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I don't care whether or not Manhunt makes people do that, nor whether you consider it to have better "gameplay" and more "creative" design than some other games.

I'm not being serious.

... *rustles bag*

Although I do understand what you mean. That said, I do believe there needs to be stronger regulation both in and outside the industry. The interactive entertainment media is still immature, and until some developers learn to grow up and take some responsibility rather than hiding behind naivety, it's always going to take a backwater to other media in terms of public interest.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Errrmmm... Hancock/New Paltz NY. Just ask for Ron Jeremy.
Yes, come over. And bring some nachos demmit.