You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Worst Game Ending ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Psychonaut

Default Worst Game Ending ever

So what has been the most annoying disappointing game ending you can remember?

*WARNING SPOILERS*

For me it was a game called Grysor. It was a sideways shooter similar to the likes of Metal Skug.

I played in an an mates Amstrad CPC 464 and it was fantastic. Played it to death defeating an alien hoard.

Came to the final boss which I think was a giant heart and after hours and hours of trying I finally killed it.

What was my reward for finishing it.

A single static screen that said something like "Congratulations on defeating the alien invasion, but sorry the planet blew up you are dead"

I was like WTF
Old 07-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Psychonaut

Or there was Doom II which was physically impossible to complete without a cheat code

Damn respawning monsters.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
A single static screen that said something like "Congratulations on defeating the alien invasion, but sorry the planet blew up you are dead"

I was like WTF
Man, I wish more games were like that. That's awesome.

I hated the Crystal Key's ending. Similar to that ending exept the world didn't blow up.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #4

Still Life springs to mind

Old 07-04-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

The ending of "Torin's Passage" - the story had great potential, but that "ending" was awful. I think they rushed it, but had planned something better.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Shadowrun:
"We will meet again in Shadowrun II!"... Uh? Wheeeeeeen?????

And all the games that end in "Congratulations." after beating the final boss.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #7
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Black Mirror rushed with the ending...

The Sanitarium ending wasent much fun either.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
Black Mirror rushed with the ending...

The Sanitarium ending wasent much fun either.
Not as much as "Torin's Passage" - that one can't really be called an ending at all.

I think the ending of "The Black Mirror" was very fitting...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
Dungeon Master

I agree on both counts with Jaz. And Sanitarium, too, had great, memorable ending. Could you explain (in spoiler tags), why it was such a letdown for you, Isak?
Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
SamNMax

I really like Sanitarium's ending, too.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
Banned User

Tomb Raider.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #12

Well, many games in the Amiga years had for epilogue, a single graphic screen and some text. Ivanhoe I can remember
Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Or there was Doom II which was physically impossible to complete without a cheat code

Damn respawning monsters.
I can clear that level pretty easily now. I'm a Doom nut, though.

And my vote goes to Ghosts 'n Goblins, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, etc. EVIL.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Something similar happened in Disposable Hero, a sidescrolling shoot'em'up on the Amiga (great game, rock hard, but fun to play with cheats on as there were so many fun/gross/imaginative details and some incredibly memorable boss monsters). After you'd shot the final alien boss to pieces, you'd get an animation of the player character exiting his spaceship in front of a group of enthusiastic onlookers. Then he got into a fancy-looking sports car and drove away, but not far, as one of the onlookers blew up his car with a bazooka. Then the guy smiled and winked at the camera.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Pretty much all the games I have played have disappointing endings - there were the few exceptions like TLJ, Faust - 7 Games of the Soul, VTM:Redemption, Anachronox and Deus Ex, but I have been disappointed by a lot of ag's, especially Black Mirror, Legacy - Dark Shadows, Post Mortem, DarkFall:The Journal, GK3 - its a pretty long list

I think the main reason for this is that so much effort has been put into storyline and gameplay that the developers end up rushing the game to meet deadlines and ending up leaving out that special something that makes the game complete

Last edited by Manhunter71; 07-04-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Something similar happened in Disposable Hero, a sidescrolling shoot'em'up on the Amiga (great game, rock hard, but fun to play with cheats on as there were so many fun/gross/imaginative details and some incredibly memorable boss monsters). After you'd shot the final alien boss to pieces, you'd get an animation of the player character exiting his spaceship in front of a group of enthusiastic onlookers. Then he got into a fancy-looking sports car and drove away, but not far, as one of the onlookers blew up his car with a bazooka. Then the guy smiled and winked at the camera.
Hence the name of the game.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #17
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Pretty much all the games I have played have disappointing endings - there were the few exceptions like TLJ, Faust - 7 Games of the Soul, VTM:Redemption, Anachronox and Deus Ex, but I have been disappointed by a lot of ag's, especially Black Mirror, Legacy - Dark Shadows, Post Mortem, DarkFall:The Journal, GK3 - its a pretty long list

I think the main reason for this is that so much effort has been put into storyline and gameplay that the developers end up rushing the game to meet deadlines and ending up leaving out that special something that makes the game complete
Wow. Once again, somebody mentions one of my most favourite endings (GK3 this time) as disappointing. Sure, it was sad, but therein lies its uniqueness. And I find the idea that it was an effect of a rushed design very hard to believe (unlike perhaps in case of Black Mirror's. Although, as I said, I like it, I agree that BM story could have been told a bit more fluently.).

On the other hand, the plot of Faust, which started okay, drowned in its own overambition IMO. I don't like, and don't understand, the finale to this day. Or one-two closing chapters, really.

Come to think of it, most of bad endings I can think of now come from the games where I really didn't care about the story in the first place, so they were not really disappointing per se. Except of course "see you in the sequel - which never happened" type (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tex Murphy: Overseer), but this is different kind of disappointment.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
Homer of Kittens

Monkey Island 2. Especially that the beggining of Curse of MK had nothing to do with MI2's ending

Firefox rules
Old 07-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
SamNMax

It's a damn cliffhanger. It was a good ending. MI3's beggining sucked.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #20
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
It's a damn cliffhanger. It was a good ending. MI3's beggining sucked.
It would have been if Ron Gilbert came back to finish it, but seeing how the series shifted direction, it really did not make any sense to me.

Firefox rules