You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Neverwinter Nights... anyone played it? Should I buy it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 05:01 PM   #1
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq
Default Neverwinter Nights... anyone played it? Should I buy it?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone has purchased and played Neverwinter Nights and/or the expansion pack Shadows of Undrentide?

I'm into roleplaying games too. I know this isn't like the older Black Isle Baldur's Gate engine games and I also heard that Chapter One starts out rather slow and boring but picks up in Chapter 2.

Can you guys just throw some random comments on the game out there? Worth buying the new Neverwinter Gold Edition with both games in it?

Any tips? Good graphics? What would you compare it to?

I've been waiting to buy this for some time but I've held off.... help!
Old 11-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
delusions of adequacy

Single player is decent if you like mages or fighter types. Not so crash hot for stealthy rogues. The default game restricts you to one party member/hireling. You can safely grab player made patches that increase this Thats the game's strength there are so many great player made mods, adventures, the lot and they're usually tiny downloads (56k joy).

If playing online is your thing it does that too, I've never given that side much of a go as I don't have long term access to a machine that can run the game.

If you're a Drizzt/dark elf fanboi, then it can't hurt to get NWN, theres plenty of dark elf action in the original, and the upcoming expansion for the game takes place in Menzo--i forget how to spell it--ezan (Drizzt's home town in the Underdark).

In Short NWN has gameplay in spades, even if you don't absolutlely love the moduels that ship with it, its a simple matter of downloading and trying the hundreads of thousands players have written, or writing your own (Toolset love!).

Graphically it'll take a lot of power to get good frame rate, but even then its not really a graphically stunning game. Great spell effects, awesome animations (a good sword fight is a joy to watch) but the models are a little blocky.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Bwa? Were all the drow hiding in my version of NWN? Can't say I remember them playing much of a part in it... Oh, and Drizzt's home city is Menzoberranzan iirc (been awhile since I read Salvatore). And yeah, although questing and the plot are weaker than most Black Isle games (yeah, I realise Black Isle didn't make this, but they're associated) the gameplay more than makes up for this. So basically, if you're a roleplaying fan, this game is well worth a look. The expansion pack was nifty too.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:18 AM   #4
gaybrush threepwoody

The drow are in the new upcoming expansion The Hordes of the Underdark.

I think I'll give it a whirl AGA! Gonna buy the gold edition.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #5
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

If you plan to play it online, or use the editor, get it. the single player element is not up to much.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 11-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I disagree with you muchly, James. I've never played it multiplayer or used an add-on modules (except the offical Shadows of Undrentide one) and I still loved it...
Old 11-12-2003, 01:44 PM   #7
Banned User

I was a D&D player for some 15 years. I played exclusively RPGs on the platorm systems I had (of course, Shadowgate was the only adventure game back then). I played various D&D/TSR, Final Fantasy, and Ultima PC RPG's for a long time.

NWN is the all-time best RPG (aside from pen, paper, gridboard and figurines) I have ever encountered... assuming your computer is up to the speed/graphic requirements. While the single-player game isn't as well-written as Planescape: Torment (not by a long shot) it more than makes up for that lack in flexibility of gameplay and graphics, despite sharing the same 3/4 overhead view. And the wealth of (free!) mods available only add to that flexibility.

As with the original pen-and-paper version of D&D, the quality of multi-player play is utterly dependent on the quality of the DM(s). There are great worlds and crappy ones... hack-and-slash worlds and thoughtful worlds and worlds dedicated to role-playing. One great advantage is that unlike most online MMRPG's, there is no subscription fee to play NWN online. The in-game server search can hook you up into a campaign and have you playing (free!) in 60 seconds.

I hope this quick overview was helpful.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

sounds fun to me! Why do a lot of people say Chapter one is not very fun? Does the game start slow? and then pick up?

Have you played the expansion?

Hordes of the Underdark looks so good which is why I'm thinking about finally getting this game.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
Banned User

Sorry, I can't give you any info about the official expansion set. Even buying NWN was an aberration for me, as I have drifted away from the RPG universe. However, NWN was an aberration that kept me entertained for several months during a long dark period for adventure games.

Chapter One starts out a little slow because not everyone who has ever played an RPG has played by D&D rules, and the scenario is designed to make sure that even the newbies to the TSR universe don't get left behind out of the starting gate.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:25 PM   #10

The game is actually pretty good, but you will get tired of it after you beat it. I mean after u play it once you know whats gonna happen when u play it twice, and you already know where all the monsters are gonna pop up. If they added a random dungeon or even random monster encounter thing it woulda been better than it is. But for a d&d game its probably the best you can get, on par with baldurs gate.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:04 AM   #11
Ooh, Betty!

I'm a big fan of RPGS, Icewind Dale being my favourite, but I really didn't like NWN. I haven't played it online because when I got it I had a pretty poor internet connection. I know graphics don't make a game, but they didn't feel right. I could never get the camera where I wanted it. I got fed up of my sidekick running off and killing people. It was ok once I'd got into it, but not instantly good as IWD. Play IWD if you haven't already, its a lot more fun.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:32 AM   #12
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
sounds fun to me! Why do a lot of people say Chapter one is not very fun? Does the game start slow? and then pick up?

Have you played the expansion?

Hordes of the Underdark looks so good which is why I'm thinking about finally getting this game.
Wasn't Shadows Of Undertide just released? How can this one be out?
Old 11-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #13
gaybrush threepwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Wasn't Shadows Of Undertide just released? How can this one be out?
Horders of the Underdark comes out in the next few months. It's got new graphics and effects.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:23 AM   #14
delusions of adequacy

Old 11-16-2003, 11:42 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Don't know how she's expected to walk with that pointy thing between her legs.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:58 AM   #16
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I find that advertisement more creepy than sexy

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #17
gaybrush threepwoody

OH my god! What a hot ad! That's gorgeous! WOW! Where are the screenshots though?