You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Lucasarts is making a new adventure game...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Headbanger

Default Lucasarts is making a new adventure game...

...developed inhouse and set to be released 2007 if you are to believe their press release. Their new and yet unnamed Indiana Jones game is suppose to be an "unforgettable story-driven adventure".

If anything of this are even close to being accurate I'm in heaven. Here comes the bad news for me though. They are developing it for next generation consoles only. But if the game is what they claim it to be I might even consider buying a console.

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/101.html
Old 05-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I'll bet that it'll be an action Indy game though. Though I'd love to be wrong and have it be more like Fate of Atlantis.

Not that there's anything wrong with action games with a really good story to them. Not at all. Nope. Those are the best kind, I think. I'll just be going now.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
gin soaked boy

The word adventure has many meanings so don't hold your breath. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the kind of adventure this website is about.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Old Git

Given the press release talks about consoles, physics and AI I'd be very surprised if it's what I call an adventure. I'm guessing action with a few simple puzzles thrown in.

Andy.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattyaj
Given the press release talks about consoles, physics and AI I'd be very surprised if it's what I call an adventure. I'm guessing action with a few simple puzzles thrown in.

Andy.
Agreed.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 05-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

It's not an adventure game.

Christ.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #7
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattyaj
Given the press release talks about consoles, physics and AI I'd be very surprised if it's what I call an adventure.

20 years of adventuring and still going nowhere, he? Just kidding. As long as it's not just another Lara rip-off.. Oh, wait. Will it be developed by one of their incredibly talented in-house teams? ...
Old 05-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Lucasarts will never make another Adventure game because they are stupid poopyheads.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-20-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
Irritant F0rum Beasty

That whole press release is just standard Lucasarts bullshit. I hate the way they brag about how their new breed of generic action titles are making them so much money. Why cant people just stop givin them money?!?

Ah well, going to see Revenge of the Sith tomorrow.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-20-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Pixelhunter

Thanks for the link!

To LucasArts: I believe it when I see it, and I certainly won't buy a console only to play a LucasArts game, no matter how much adventure it pretends to include.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:15 AM   #11
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasarts
Our teams are truly embracing the incredible power of these systems, not only with amazing graphics but also, more importantly, with unforgettable story-driven adventures starring fascinating characters like Indiana Jones.

In 2007, the strength of the upcoming systems presents players with incredibly realistic, detailed environments that will span the globe. They’ll experience an interactive story unlike any that’s ever unfolded before them, as well as a noticeable evolution in physics and artificial intelligence.
I understand that people don't really think Lucasarts are going to make an adventuregame after canceling their recent efforts. But I wasn't really expecting this lousy feedback. There is absolutely nothing in the press release that hints at this game being anything like todays actiongames (which people seems to think). It says it will be a story-driven adventuregame so that's all we know for now. Isn't that enough to make you optimistic about this game at least until we know more? You don't even have a screenshot to complain about yet. And what is this topic doing in the general game-section?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:24 AM   #12
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
consoles, physics and AI
Of course those three things would completely ruin an adventure. When I think of all the times when I've been talking to someone in an adventure and thought "I'm glad that I don't have to worry about my responses in this dialogue", when I've been solving a puzzle involving physical things and thought "Wouldn't it be ultra crappy if I were to solve this puzzle using real world physics instead of a sequence.", and somedays when I think of how the adventure genre is suffering I pray to god they never break into the console market, because all those extra people that would give them money would be just awful.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 AM   #13

Doesn't really sound that tempting in my opinion. If I wanted to whip zombie skeletons, I would go and see my... nevermind. I have promised Lucasarts not to buy their products after the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police (which probably had poor AI and phycics anyway ).
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
pain is love

Wow, another Indy "adventure" by Lucass. I think I'll pass...

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #15
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
That whole press release is just standard Lucasarts bullshit. I hate the way they brag about how their new breed of generic action titles are making them so much money. Why cant people just stop givin them money?!?

Ah well, going to see Revenge of the Sith tomorrow.
because parents will buy their kids anything with 'Star Wars' on it... they also buy Manhunt and then complain about the violence.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #16
Cheeky Little Monkey

Send a message via AIM to vansau Send a message via MSN to vansau Send a message via Yahoo to vansau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I understand that people don't really think Lucasarts are going to make an adventuregame after canceling their recent efforts. But I wasn't really expecting this lousy feedback. There is absolutely nothing in the press release that hints at this game being anything like todays actiongames (which people seems to think). It says it will be a story-driven adventuregame so that's all we know for now. Isn't that enough to make you optimistic about this game at least until we know more? You don't even have a screenshot to complain about yet. And what is this topic doing in the general game-section?
No, no it's not. LucasArts hasn't developed a good in-house game in years. The closest thing they've had to good in recent history was Gladius which a) wasn't an adventure and b) had dialogue that made Paris Hilton's wit seem devastating and brilliant. Besides, after cancelling Sam and Max 2 (which just about every gaming site and magazine was salivating over) because they were afraid it wouldn't sell well, it's pretty obvious they aren't ever going to put out another straight-up adventure game under the current management... especially not an adventure game based on a license that hasn't made them much money in recent years (let's compare: Star Wars $ >>>>> Indiana Jones $).

One other thing: how thick is your skull that you actually believe what companies are willing to say in their press releases?
Old 05-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #17
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansau
No, no it's not. LucasArts hasn't developed a good in-house game in years. The closest thing they've had to good in recent history was Gladius which a) wasn't an adventure and b) had dialogue that made Paris Hilton's wit seem devastating and brilliant. Besides, after cancelling Sam and Max 2 (which just about every gaming site and magazine was salivating over) because they were afraid it wouldn't sell well, it's pretty obvious they aren't ever going to put out another straight-up adventure game under the current management... especially not an adventure game based on a license that hasn't made them much money in recent years (let's compare: Star Wars $ >>>>> Indiana Jones $).

One other thing: how thick is your skull that you actually believe what companies are willing to say in their press releases?
I have no idea exactly who works at Lucasarts now so to say that this game will suck because it's made in-house is dumb IMO.

Do you really believe that you know the exact reasons for cancelling Sam and Max 2? The reason for making a new Indiana Jones-game is that there is a new movie coming up. Indiana Jones is a little more well known then Sam and Max wouldn't you agree?

If I were to predict what this game will be like in the end then I somewhat agree with you. Maybe this won't be a "straight-up adventuregame" exactly like Grim Fandango or EMI. But I do believe that it will have elements of an adventuregame. If they write a press release like this they should at least have the desire to make the game like they describe it. But we will eventually see how the game turns out. If it doesn't get cancelled that is.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
If they write a press release like this they should at least have the desire to make the game like they describe it. But we will eventually see how the game turns out. If it doesn't get cancelled that is.
The keyword 'adventure' tends to be quite misplaced in press releases such as this. And, unless LEC is planning on "revolutionizing" the adventure genre, I think they would pick better words than "noticeable evolution in physics and artificial intelligence".

They call it adventure. I call it uninteresting.

Edit: Oops! I am already hating the game
Old 05-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #19
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Best thread EVERLKLKAJSGDASDUQWJNBD!!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #20
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Meh. We'll see, 2007 is still a long way ahead.