You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Woah! Revolution mock-up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
How am I not myself?

Default Woah! Revolution mock-up

There is a video floating around on the net that a hardcore Nintendo fan mocked up to show what has been said about the "revolution". A lot of it seems a bit airy-fairy but even if just the head visor turns out to be real then I know for certain that I'll be getting this console.

Last edited by Glenn Epic; 05-16-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

That's the Revolution. A black box. Compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's new console is bland and boring.

Quote:
Nintendo is the last of the "Big Three" to reveal its next-gen plans. Microsoft took the lid off its future console, the Xbox 360, last week, and Sony unveiled the PlayStation 3 yesterday at its pre-E3 conference.

The Revolution design didn't follow suit with its curvaceous competitors, the concave Xbox 360 and convex PlayStation 3. In fact, its simple rectangular design can be easily mistaken for a modem at first glance. However, like its competitors, the unit can stand vertically or lay supine. The black console can fit snugly in a grey stand, where it is pitched upward at a slight angle for vertical positioning, or be removed and laid flat (and look eerily similar to Apple's Powerbook batteries).

Revolution's enigmatic controllers were not revealed, but they will be wireless. Rumors have been awash that the controllers will be unlike any before, possibly losing buttons in favor of touch screens or incorporating some sort of gyroscopic functions.

By Nintendo's own admission, according to USA Today, the system is two to three times as powerful as its current-generation console, the GameCube. Sony's PlayStation 3, announced yesterday, is reportedly dozens of times powerful than its predecessor, the PlayStation 2.

However, Nintendo told the newspaper "It's not all about having 'turbo power', It's about what you do with it." What Nintendo plans to do with it is still under wraps--the publisher has not yet announced any games for the system.

Eschewing its previous business ideas, Revolution will be online-friendly, and support a broadband gaming service similar to that of Microsoft's Xbox Live. Its most significant contribution to online gaming will be the ability to download games, and not just simple puzzlers or platformers from the NES days. GameCube titles will be downloadable, though it's not clear whether the games will be saved to a storage devices or memory cards.

For those who would rather just pop in their hard copy of Mario Sunshine, Nintendo offers a simple solution: backward compatibility. As indicated before, Revolution, like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be able to play all the games from the current-generation GameCube, as well as DVDs through its blue-LED-illuminated front-loading media drive.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

It reminds me of the PS2, I like the smallness.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Looks a lot better than the other two.
Good that there's further info coming in the next hours, the Nintendo press conference thing is on right now.

Seems the same guy who introduced DS, is also introducing Revo.

Damn this stream is crappy:
mms://media.gccafe.com/stream/
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

As long as the controller isn't a boomerang. *cough*PS3*cough* I'll be getting it.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 AM   #6

I have inside information about the revolutionarry controller:

It will be a 2.5-meter scull. Great for boat games.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #7
Burning

Nintendo had nothing to show in the presentation regarding Revolution. There was nothing new. The console they showed was a prototype, final one will be differenct. I think they just talked about it, because they had to because of two other consoles, otherwise currently they are not even sure about the final specs of the system.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
Epinionated.

I like it. Jesus some of you are miserable gits.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
The Reggienator

9:18 am: Iwata takes stage. Introduces Revolution. Holds up the tiny, Mac Mini-sized unit. Crowd cheers. Says it's the smallest console Nintendo has ever manufactured. Says the final machine will be even smaller than the concept unit he's holding. Can stand horizontally or vertically. Revolution will play 12cm (DVD) discs (and GameCube software, too). Added attachment can be used to play movies and other DVD content. Machine has 512 MB of onboard flash memory for data storage.

9:20 am: "When you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say 'wow!'" "Our competitors have detailed the power of their core processor and display. But the advantages of our technology will also have no bearing on gameplay. I know, this is one of those mysterious comments," he says. Says wifi will be built into every Nintendo product so controller, TV, console, and internet can interact. Nintendo intends to develop a device that's functional and appealing to every member in the household -- whether gamers or not. All controllers will be wireless. Also, the controllers will be very unique "in ways we will share with you... later." Already working on several wifi games for launch. Smash Bros. will be launch game -- wifi.

9:24 am: For Revolution, "Miyamoto is challenging his teams to create something new." His new creation will debut with Revolution. Big franchises will of course be there -- including new versions of Mario and Zelda. Short Metroid Prime 3 clip showing Samus standing in front of her redesigned spaceship. "We expect strong third-party support in both hemisphere." For example, Square Enix is already working on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle for Revolution.

9:27 am: Iwata: Convinced game development on Revolution will be easier and far less costly than for other machines. "Big idea can prevail over big budget." Revolution is a solution to help maximize creative freedom. Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made. "Revolution shares a vision with DS. The machine is just a tool for software."
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
[IMG]That's the Revolution. A black box. Compared to Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo's new console is bland and boring.
It all depends on taste, I guess. But out of the three, I'd say the X-Box looks the worst. Personally, I prefer the Revolution.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #11

What a boring press conference... What is the revolution, anyway? What's the fuss? Where's the info? All they did was to establish the 'success' of their previous formats. I hope we get to see more of Revolution during E3. This presentation was poor. Anyway, I'm still holding faith in Nintendo.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #12

I have to say I love the idea of being able to play all the old Nintendo games on it. If I get any of the new consoles it'll probably be this one...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to feisar

Im really excited about the revolution

I think it looks great. Stylish and not an over the top tacky cheap looking overdesigned wierdo convcave monster like the xbox360. I like the design more than the gamecube too, the finished article will probably look even better.

The best thing though is the NES, SNES and N64 downloads and GC compatibility. It means I can get rid of all my other nintendo consoles and games and have it all in one box. The download thing is a masterstroke too. It sidesteps the whole issue of the poor retail support they have in Europe because you wont have to go shopping to buy games anymore. Also it wont matter if nintendo dont get as much third party support with all the back catalogue games. Its great for someone like me that missed a generation with them (I never had a N64 at the time & when the NES & SNES were around I was a kid and hardly had any games).

I cant wait to see how it turns out and they could turn it into a games version of i-tunes. They could even have homebrew and low budget games for download, indie games could be made cheaply with old nintendo console dev kits and the companies would get a much larger share of the royalites than having manafacturing/retail/publisher/distribution etc..

And they havent even shown off the main innovation or the controller ..
Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I have to say I love the idea of being able to play all the old Nintendo games on it. If I get any of the new consoles it'll probably be this one...
Each one's got something the other hasn't. Although this one has oodles of charm the others don't purely on this basis!

Plus I hear it's going to be teeny.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I really don't understand why people keep going on about how these "next-next gen consoles look"
Surely that's the least important part? What matters to me is what's inside these plastic boxes, and the range of new games!!

I mean, the PS2 and the XBox both looked f*****g ugly to me, but that didn't stop me buying a PS2.

Who cares if the Nintendo consoles looks boring, or if the 360 looks more stylish than the PS3?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #16
El Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I really don't understand why people keep going on about how these "next-next gen consoles look"
Surely that's the least important part? What matters to me is what's inside these plastic boxes, and the range of new games!!

I mean, the PS2 and the XBox both looked f*****g ugly to me, but that didn't stop me buying a PS2.

Who cares if the Nintendo consoles looks boring, or if the 360 looks more stylish than the PS3?
Well, in Nintendo's case, it's almost all we have to base anything on. Aside from the fact that Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Bros. and FF:Crystal Chronicles is coming to the console, along with downloadable oldies, the only thing that's been shown is the console's looks.

Oh, and welcome back Feisar!! It's so refreshing, and awesome, to see your good ol' face again. I still remember that Wipeout avatar.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #17
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

It looks like my DSL modem

But looks doesn't matter, it's all about the games.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 AM   #18
El Luchador

Old 05-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #19
The Reggienator

The red one looks awesome. I want one.