You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General So I just got Jade Empire....wot now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
merely human

Default So I just got Jade Empire....wot now?

THIS is how adventure games should be experienced (but without action and fighting, of course).

Soo, it just arrived, and I played just a little bit of it and will continue later tonight. I selected the Scholar Ling girl and named her after me, Inquisitive Beiddie (I figured my real name's exotic enough to fit in with this mystical world). She is a beautiful young woman, graceful, humble, and on the good path of the Open Palm. She has an innate curiosity about those she meets and wants to know about them, as she loves acquiring knowledge while wanting to help others as best she can. Her thirst for seeking wisdom will eventually lead her away from the school and off to find her destiny.

She is starting out strongest in Chi (magic), but I'll be improving her Focus (combat). I'm still at the school exploring for now.

Firstly, the gameworld looks beautiful in a dreamlike way. Good use of bloom and lighting. The motion capture is excellent, I was almost hypnotized watching a couple of students doing their daily tai chi regimen under a pagoda. I loved how the gameworld looks and feels so alive with nature. The skies are dynamic but subtle, nice to know that the clouds do move even when they appear not to. The combat is AMAZING, with the mo-cap, and it seems quite easy to pick up and learn and the controls feel fluid and intuitive. And yeah, it's not dumb, either - you really do need a lot of strategy.

Overall, I just KNOW in my belly that I will vanish heart and soul into this game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Dungeon Master

Admit it, you've created this thread only to use "So I just got X... what now" phrase once again!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
merely human

It's the way of the Open Trend.

But there are at least couple others here who have the game or are getting, so we can discuss.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Dungeon Master

And I will gladly read about it.

And cry in the pillow.

Unless the game is ported to PC.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

This game is XBox only isn't it?

That is so not fair!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
merely human

What?! An Xbox console is only $150 (USD). Go out on a limb for once and buy yourself one (use your plastic so you won't feel so bereft), then get Knights Of The Old Republic, KoTOR II, and Jade Empire (oh, and Beyond Good & Evil). You won't regret. Otherwise, you ARE missing out on awesome shit beyond the adventure game genre.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What?! An Xbox console is only $150 (USD). Go out on a limb for once and buy yourself one (use your plastic so you won't feel so bereft), then get Knights Of The Old Republic, KoTOR II, and Jade Empire (oh, and Beyond Good & Evil). You won't regret. Otherwise, you ARE missing out on awesome shit beyond the adventure game genre.

I would love to do all those things if I had the money - my plastic is well used and I can't even afford the monthly repayments - I played Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 when it was first released, and am dying to play KOTOR 2 but I don't htink my PC will be able to handle it

I really really want to play Fable and Jade Empire but I guess I'll have to wait for them to be ported to PS2 or until I can afford to buy an XBox

At this moment in time I am tempted to wait until the release of XBox 2 or the PS3
Old 04-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by trepsie

Then mod your X-box with a chip, put in a larger hard drive, rent some games, and download them onto the hard drive. Now let the fun begin!
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 04-14-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #9

As an aside, I played a bit of Fable; quite interesting but since it'll be coming out on the PC, I've traded it in. I'm a pc-gamer first and foremost.

The graphics in Jade has been the best I've seen thus far (it puts Fable literally to shame).

The story has been shaping out nicely. It's not forced upon you in that you can choose to finish off your business before going headlong into your character's destiny. It was finally nice to kick Gao the Lesser's ass btw.

I'm now in the cave for my character's final lesson and test.

That's it for now.... later...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Oh man, this game needs to come to pc also, it's just not right this way...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
merely human

It's SOOOOOOOOOO much like an adventure game, what you've always wanted an adventure game to be but you never got your wish.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:06 AM   #12

Does anyone know if they're gonna port this game to PC like they did with KOTOR?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 AM   #13
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What?! An Xbox console is only $150 (USD). Go out on a limb for once and buy yourself one (use your plastic so you won't feel so bereft), then get Knights Of The Old Republic, KoTOR II, and Jade Empire
The only thing with KotOR 2 is that it's just way too easy...

And of course we will still have to wait to get Jade Empire... (Edit): Actually, I just happened to notice that it is in stores here now too... My friend had just happened to see it in a store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Does anyone know if they're gonna port this game to PC like they did with KOTOR?
They haven't announced it (I think), but they haven't denied it either.

Last edited by UPtimist; 04-16-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:28 AM   #14
Jen

I just started this morning and am having a grand time. I just got the healing herb for one of my fellow students and have next to go to claim the prize for fighting multiple enemies and then give Gao his comeuppance and then do the spirit cave. I am playing as Radiant Jen Li (who else?). I put two of my initial four points into health (I just hate getting killed!) and one each into chi and focus. I have gained some extra focus points since then from Smiling Mountain and from reading a complete set of library books.

Trep, what did you do with that lion shrine in Master Li's chamber? I destroyed the altar and got some coins, and only after that I found some lion statues in a chest. I wonder if those were for the altar and I missed out on something?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
merely human

Shit! I never got to help that one student get healed after Master Li dealt with that one Lotus Assassin on the boat. Guess next time I play I'll remember to do it.

As for the Lion Shrine, I collected all 3 coloured lion statues. There is a tomb by the waterfall just outside the school. I dropped a coin in the tomb as an offering, picked up the lion piece, and brought it back to the shrine at Master Li's. The lion piece plays a crucial piece in solving that puzzle, which involves blending 2 colours to make a 3rd colour.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #16
Jen

Dang! I am tempted to start over now I did the coin in the statue and have all three colored lion statues but no altar
Old 04-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #17
merely human

It's a very easy puzzle. I hope the game offers more puzzles like it.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #18

^^^ I totally missed that puzzle....but I did collect the three statues only to lose it...... but I don't remember under what circumstances... Anyway, I've already met and added to my group Sagacious (can't remember his name) and have once and for all dealt with Gao the Lesser....
Old 04-16-2005, 06:52 PM   #19
merely human

Too bad you missed it. You would have gained a gem.

I'm currently exploring Tien's Landing looking for a wind map. Many optional subquests, and discovering the history and atmosphere of this fishing town is great fun. The world is beautiful.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
Jen

I just got to chapter 2 I did end up restarting, and I think the only thing I missed this time through was rescuing Fen in the swamp. I did get light side, er, open hand points for agreeing to keep an eye out for her, though. Maybe that was the whole thing and there was no Fen 'tall.

Toad Demon is my favorite attack. It served me well against all of those hordes who destroyed the village.

The cutscenes are breathtaking, aren't they?