You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Worst game ever made- Can you top this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Worst game ever made- Can you top this?

I was going through gamespot to see what was the worst game ever made. This one is hillarious: Big Rigs: Over the Top Racing

The Rig is coasting in the clouds

From Gamespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
The basic idea in the actual game is that you pick one from four vaguely different trucks and then one from five vaguely different levels. You then compete against another truck in a simple checkpoint race. That's it. However, Big Rigs can't even get this basic concept right. The supposedly computer-controlled truck you're supposed to be racing against in the game never actually moves. It's right there next to you at the beginning of a race, but it has no purpose in the game. This is to say, actually, that none of the game's races have a purpose because there's no competition and no time limit. You win every single time. So unless you especially like seeing a winning-screen over and over again that reads "You're Winner!", there is absolutely no point in playing Big Rigs.
hahaha that's funny, you always win because the other truck never moves.

Also
Quote:
Big Rigs' controls essentially involve hitting the arrow keys of the keyboard in the desired direction and nothing more. here are no physics here. You accelerate much too quickly to even be minutely realistic (especially when going in reverse, which lets you go from around 0 to 60mph in about five seconds, continue accelerating infinitely faster, and stop on a dime the second you let up on the keyboard), you can travel over the most rugged of terrain without any problems (including nearly vertical mountains), and you can turn in ways that cause you to jerk around in some pretty ridiculous manners.
And worse of all
Quote:
ou see, you can clip your truck right through every object on a race course in Big Rigs, from the biggest of houses and walls, right down to the smallest of lampposts. Furthermore, bridges evidently don't actually exist, despite the fact that you can see them--driving over any of them results in you sinking right through them. It is also quite possible to simply drive right off of the literal end of a level when playing.
So when you drive into a wall, you drive "THROUGH IT" and when you drive over a bridge, you fall down.

Can you top that ?

Firefox rules
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
DAVE

What's sad is the game is probably sold at the same price as other good games and someone will buy it :|
Old 04-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
i'm with... <thud>

i didn't think it was that bad
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

If you want hilarious bad game reviews.....

Muscle Car 2
http://pc.ign.com/articles/361/361558p1.html

Air Raid: This is not a Drill
http://pc.ign.com/articles/426/426844p1.html

Perfect Ace
http://pc.ign.com/articles/430/430920p1.html

Jazz and Faust
http://pc.ign.com/articles/363/363382p1.html

Although for my money, some of the the worst games I've ever played are TekWar (which I was given by my Uncle, the evil b@#$ard) and True Crime: Streets of LA.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
FlipFrame

I think we need to raise the bar here...low budget games are expected to be terrible when they are bad, but high profile games that tank are another thing, when you consider their uber budgets. No excuses! So with that said, my two votes are:
  • Driver3 (dear lord what shite)
  • Enter the Matrix (extra shite plz)

Runner Up:
  • Getaway (pick your version, 1 or 2...they STILL didn't get a clue with 2?!)
Old 04-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Quixotic

True Crime was pretty high budget, if I recall.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #7

I think I've posted this before, but one my favorites is this review for Survivor: The Interactive Game. "The only review you'll ever read that's actually more fun than the game itself!"

The game sounds pretty bad...
Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
True Crime was pretty high budget, if I recall.
Yes, ish, but I had to pick one and already offered up three, of which True Crime is passable compared to these, and I hated TC. At the VERY least, being objective, it was a competent if vapid production, unlike these games that were laden with bugs on top of everything.

Just for perspecitve, SOHO was given 25 million! to make Getaway! You should watch the making of video to see what a flipping money suck that shit was. Lets see, they were using PROSTHETICS on all the actors to then DIGITALLY SCAN them to derive geometry and textures that are then wittled down to PS2 quality making use of only 2% of the final data!!! Yea, junk.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Quixotic

Then you just want really high profile disasters? Well, there's the ever infamous Daikatana, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, maybe even the original Red Faction. Driver 2 was pretty bad, also.

Did you play True Crime on PC? Because I did, and it was utterly atrocious in all ways, shapes, and forms.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
Then you just want really high profile disasters? Well, there's the ever infamous Daikatana, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, maybe even the original Red Faction. Driver 2 was pretty bad, also.

Did you play True Crime on PC? Because I did, and it was utterly atrocious in all ways, shapes, and forms.

Sorry, but you'd be hardpressed to top the development and marketing of Driver 3 or Getaway...they still win.

Daikatana was high profile sure. As for PoPWW, I got no impression it was anywhere NEAR the level of flop that we're talking of here. Red Faction wasn't high profile, just visible and didn't actually suck.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #11
Quixotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Sorry, but you'd be hardpressed to top the development and marketing of Driver 3 or Getaway...they still win.
They might not have been financial disasters, but high profile blunders they were. Daikatana is a much higher regarded flop than Driver 3, although I suppose it has had a few years to settle into that cozy corner. Warrior Within has been pretty widely panned across the board, and Red Faction....just wasn't good.

And besides, this thread is about the worst game ever....period. It doesn't matter if the developers spent five dollars or five billion dollars on it, we're talking about high level of lame here. Driver 3 might be an unholy mess, but it's infinitely better than those games we mentioned above.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #12
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG

Daikatana was high profile sure. As for PoPWW, I got no impression it was anywhere NEAR the level of flop that we're talking of here. Red Faction wasn't high profile, just visible and didn't actually suck.
POP:WW as a game in and of itself may not be on that level, but it deserves special recognition for pissing all over an excellent franchise and a gorgeously crafted direct prequel (of course, it did it with EXTREME PISS!!! **** YEAH!!! THE PRINCE IS HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!).

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 04-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to imichaelj
Default Worst game ever

Thundra anyone? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Awful
At a Glance: Much like being in a terrible car accident which kills your parents and leaves you without use of your legs, you will never, ever forget playing "Thundra".

evolve - quit playing with yourself
"jesters do oft prove prophets." - william shakespeare
Old 04-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #14

Jackal's review of Cold Case Files was pretty much spot on. It was a horrendous game.

I'm also now looking at my fairly new copy of Jazz and Faust and shaking my head.......
Old 04-09-2005, 02:10 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Get over PoP:WW, guys.
Ahem.

I'd also like to stand up for Red Faction and Enter the Matrix. Yes, they're not particularly good games, but I defy anybody to not enjoy them at all - they're actually a bit of a laugh if you just plow through them on the easiest difficulty setting screaming 'I am invincible' or somesuch nonsense.

You haven't played bad games until you've played the Grr-rand Prix Racing (or some other nonsensical title), featuring Tony the Tiger that came with Frosties for a while. I was also annoyed by a game called Space Tripper (PomPom Software) - I'm all in favour of indie games, but why did this abomination get 92% in a UK magazine when you have to be supremely god-like AND incredibly lucky to reach the end of the FIRST LEVEL??? I'm hardly have the greatest coordination, but I'm not THAT bad.

Meanwhile, and calming back down, Agapito's Crazy Adventure has to take my award for worst commercial adventure game (at least it can be finished in about an hour), with Detective (how predictable) for the worst piece of IF I've ever played - though the Myst3K version is brilliant!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #16
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28

So when you drive into a wall, you drive "THROUGH IT" and when you drive over a bridge, you fall down.

Can you top that ?

I'm sad to say that even the game my brother and I developed for a class he was in isn't quite as bad as this one. It was about a human pilot being given control of a UFO, and shooting down Earth planes, in exchange for his life when the aliens finally take over.

It involved a side scrolling screen on which a set number of airplanes was fixed, not moving, not shooting . The explanation for the non-shooting part was that the pilots knew that suicide runs were the only way to destroy the UFO. How they hoped to accomplish that by just hovering in the air, however, I guess we'll never know!

The objective of the game was to avoid colliding with the airplanes, and destroying them all with your laser. As that one and only level of the game progressed, it became less and less challenging, because the background would loop ad infinitum, until you shot down every plane, down to the last one. So, the longer you play, the less planes there are to fight!

The game had two game over animations. If you collided with an airplane, you're treated to an Earth exploding animation. Because, you know, humanity continued resisting, and aliens had to destroy it.

If you managed to shoot down all the airplanes, you see your pilot coming to the alien leader to collect his reward, only to be viciously vaporized! Then you see Earth again, only this time it morphs into an alien face...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 04-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:15 AM   #17
Evil Webmaster

Big Rigs is one of the best games ever, top graphics, top gameplay and, above all, top sound! Two thumbs, way up! (TM)
So there you go
Old 04-10-2005, 10:27 AM   #18
kamikaze hummingbirds

ive never played it, but apparently the ET game was so crappy that they had to bury the unsold copies somewhere in the desert.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #19
Epinionated.

PoP:WW ate my children.

Now tell me to get over it.

^some of the above may not be true
Old 04-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #20
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

There's only one game I hate, and it's Syphon Filter: Omega Strain. They done ****ed up with that one.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing