You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General First peek at Sony PSP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2003, 11:44 PM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default First peek at Sony PSP

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6078174.html

Looking futuristic, are we?
Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Eh...looks like a case of form over function to me. I don't think it's a good idea to have the d-pad and buttons slope down with the edges of the PSP, for one thing. They should all be on the same plane for ease of use. Also, in general, I think that buttons which protrude from the surface of the system are better than ones that are flush with the surface. Your fingers have something firm to press on in that case. Here, especially since the whole thing seems quite smooth (and as Gamespot predicts, "slippery"), I can imagine one's fingers not being exactly sure where each button is, especially during games that require quick reflexes.

I get the feeling it will change by the time of its release. In all likelihood, this was released more to say "Don't forget, we're still working on this thing!" than anything else. I assume it will be considerably better than the N-Gage, anyway.

I have to wonder who would actually watch movies on this thing, though. I mean, it uses a proprietary storage media format, which means you'd either have to buy movies new on that format, or you'd have to buy some sort of device that could burn to the UMD format. Seems kind of silly, to me. I certainly wouldn't PAY for a disc that could only play movies on a little tiny screen if I already owned the movie on DVD (and I wouldn't want to own a tiny version if I didn't already own the big version anyway!). I completely understand the point of a portable game system and a portable music device, but as far as movies go I think a portable system only makes sense if you can use media you already have (ie, DVDs).

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-05-2003, 12:45 AM   #3
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Bloody hell, how much are they going to sell this thing for? The specs make me think very expensive gadget...
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 AM   #4
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

In a GameSpot preview I read some time ago (I tried to find it but I have no idea how to search their features; I don't think it's possible) I saw an estimate of about $400. After the essential failure of the N-Gage I have a strong suspicion Sony will realize they have to make this thing pretty price competitive to have any sort of chance against Nintendo, which is probably why they declined to indicate a price with this new update.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 11-05-2003, 01:28 AM   #5
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Just imagine all the smudges the cover will get after a bit of playing. Mmm, not so shiny anymore, eh?

Looks very nice, but the button placement worries me. Yes, it's definitely only a prototype and I realize they will most likely change the final design, but still, putting the power button right below the directional pad does not seem very bright. I believe Sony had hinted at analog stick control ass well, yet it's nowhere to be seen. Maybe the directional pad is pressure-sensitive?

Judging from the specs this baby is going to have I wonder how they're going to offer it at an aggressive price?

I will definitely be getting one, though.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to feisar

nicer than the n-gage

although the image is of a rejected prototype so it wont actually look like that.

..i think sony just released it to create a bit of hype and show the kind of thing they are aiming for..
Old 11-05-2003, 04:40 AM   #7

The movie thing depends on if the movies, if only playable on the PSP, is cheaper than regular movies. Which they should in that case be.
Handheld devices like these I feel are more for travels, or places where you don't have a console or dvd-player around anyway.
So if I owned this thing, I could pay for a movie. But I'll probably never buy it, at least before they sell the actual device for a reasonable price.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:00 AM   #8

is this also called PSPecial or is it just PlasyStationPortable.