You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Fable to come to the PC :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #21
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Like Ron Gilbert Jeremy has pointed out before in the grumpy gamer...
Oh man, that guy is awesome!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #22
delusions of adequacy

Is that what you mean by talking about Direct X on the 'Xbox Next' ?

You list games support as a big reason for the low sales of macintosh, however if MS do support Direct X development on the powerPC platform it could be good news for Macintosh owning (or interested) gamers. Given that the latest Apple machines use a near identical IBM powerpc chip to that expected in the xbox successor not to mention Apple's strong relationship with ATI who're doing the GPU for the xbox successor.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #23

Quote:
I think the biggest reason for porting all the XBOX games is that Microsoft does not want to drop the PC as a gaming machine. There is even an article on gamespot in the GDC about the future Microsoft sees for PC gaming:
The article talked about online games, that's a big reason for the grow of PC market. As I have known, online RPGs have saved the dying game market here in China. Online games attracted lots of people that had never played computer games before and greatly expanded the market. One of my classmate said that if Microsoft released XBOX offically and provided the XBOX Live service in China, he would buy one at once.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk

Is that what you mean by talking about Direct X on the 'Xbox Next' ?

You list games support as a big reason for the low sales of macintosh, however if MS do support Direct X development on the powerPC platform it could be good news for Macintosh owning (or interested) gamers. Given that the latest Apple machines use a near identical IBM powerpc chip to that expected in the xbox successor not to mention Apple's strong relationship with ATI who're doing the GPU for the xbox successor.
I highly doubt that supporting Direct X development on XBOX next will boost the game market for the macintosh. The market for the Mac is already too small for game companies to invest in and Apple is not going out of their way to make their platform a gaming platform. If something, it will make it easier to build games that are both PC and XBOX compatible. Also a key difference between Apple and Microsoft is that MS has a whole studio who still go out of their way to produce A-class games for windows. Age of Empires 3, and Dungeon Siege 2 are 2 Ace games scheduled to come out exclusively on windows.

Firefox rules
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars

But, we both love (maybe loved?) the Dreamcast, so there's some common ground there.
My words was not polite to you and the US game developers. I apologize here. I'm still playing my Dreamcast now, about once a week. I'm a super fan of scrolling shooters besides the adventure genre.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #26
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poroksy
It appears that the great RPGs in XBOX would come to PC one by one, Sudeki, Fable and the upcoming Jade Empire. How wise am I to choose PS2 instead of XBOX last year!
Why limit yourself to one machine?

P.S Xbox rules!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
Why limit yourself to one machine?

P.S Xbox rules!!!
I'm still a student. There's little time left for me to play, so one machine is enough. Besides, a Xbox would cost me 1,500 RMB which means a lot to me. I'd rather spending these money buying books. But Xbox2 might be my choice for the next-gen console. Seems Xbox is really successful in North America.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 PM   #28
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
The market for the Mac is already too small for game companies to invest in and Apple is not going out of their way to make their platform a gaming platform. If something, it will make it easier to build games that are both PC and XBOX compatible.
You're pointing to the same evidence I am, yet missing my point.

If a developer can make their game run on any platform, thanks to direct X running on any platform, why would they ignore any market no matter the size? (of which I think you're being a little naive anyway). If you could increase your games sales for little to no extra development cost you're hardly likely to turn your nose up.

The next generation Xbox, at its guts has the same (well very similar) hardware as current generation high end Apple Macs. Its significantly different to existing PC architecture. Currently OpenGL is the common API supported on Apple Hardware, Direct X isn't supported. This is not something Apple can fix (DX is a property of Microsoft) and is the reason cross platform development is quite low (but not non existent). It has nothing to do with Apple not making their platform more appealing to game developers. There's only so much they can do with the most common API owned by a rival.

Getting Direct X onto the macintosh platform is the dream (Zzzzz - pipe dream maybe). If MS have it up and running on apple hardware (Xbox 2), Its only a licensing issue away from showing up in Mac OS X. If it doesn't happen legally, there's always the hope that clever, but morally questionable programmers could come up with an Xbox 2 emulator for the macintosh, and wouldn't it run well given that the hardware is so similar
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poroksy
I'm still a student. There's little time left for me to play, so one machine is enough. Besides, a Xbox would cost me 1,500 RMB which means a lot to me. I'd rather spending these money buying books. But Xbox2 might be my choice for the next-gen console. Seems Xbox is really successful in North America.
The Xbox2/neXtbox/whatever is going to be a powerful machine (the thing has 3x 3,0Ghz PowerPC CPU's with 1mb cache plus a next-gen ATi 500Mhz GPU, and 256mb ram whereas the xbox has 64mb Wish my PC was powered by that kind of madness, then again, not long after the next Xbox, it probably will). Wish I had a PS2 as well, so I could play ICO and Shenmue, but I only buy one console at a time Perhaps the PS3 will be backwards compatible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
If a developer can make their game run on any platform, thanks to direct X running on any platform, why would they ignore any market no matter the size? (of which I think you're being a little naive anyway). If you could increase your games sales for little to no extra development cost you're hardly likely to turn your nose up.
[...]
Getting Direct X onto the macintosh platform is the dream (Zzzzz - pipe dream maybe). If MS have it up and running on apple hardware (Xbox 2), Its only a licensing issue away from showing up in Mac OS X. If it doesn't happen legally, there's always the hope that clever, but morally questionable programmers could come up with an Xbox 2 emulator for the macintosh, and wouldn't it run well given that the hardware is so similar
Exactly, and while they haven't announced yet which PowerPC processors will be used, it's in fact extremely likely that hackers will be able to conjure up a working version of MacOSX on the Xbox2 soon after release. I'm serious! They're ingenious little bastards

This is very curious indeed, but the only explanation seems to lie in that MS wants an even bigger cut of the market, which'll probably work if they get DirectX working for Mac and release some decent titles utilizing it. Ofcourse if you look in even broader terms, you could see Microsoft actually wanting to make a Windows compatible with Macs You never know with these people, they might be filantropistic, but they're even more monopolistic.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #30
DAVE

Speaking of Lionhead, does any of you know about Black & White 2? I liked the first one, but the village management as a good god was just impossible and sucked. I hope they change that in the second.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #31
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Wish I had a PS2 as well, so I could play ICO and Shenmue, but I only buy one console at a time Perhaps the PS3 will be backwards compatible?
You can play shenmue...at least the second one. If you're talking about the first, then no, no you can't.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
...filantropistic...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #33
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Woah. Are you serious? Link me fool!
If you just search on "Molyneux Apology", you'll find a bunch of stuff, but I think this is the actual posting, if someone else hasn't already linked ya.

http://www.got-next.com/board/showthread.php?t=1007
Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #34
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
If you just search on "Molyneux Apology", you'll find a bunch of stuff, but I think this is the actual posting, if someone else hasn't already linked ya.

http://www.got-next.com/board/showthread.php?t=1007
I already found it fool! Look up a bunch of posts! Fool!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:20 AM   #35
After 2 years...

[childy voice] we're gonna have the dragon quest we're gonna have the dragon quest...[/]

and we will be able to have heroines also...

what i really loved on this game (it's nicely written tragic story of a family) will become deeper...

[oh...Jade empire is "not" gonna get a pc version...
at least of what Bioware said "Jade empire is created only on the Xbox's mechanisms"]
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 03-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #36
merely human

Yay!! More same sex marriages on the PC!! wooHOO!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 AM   #37
Doctor Watson

I get to play Fable! Yeah!

Oh wait! I forgot! I don't play computer games anymore!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #38
merely human

Will my hero in the PC Fable have nipples on his chest? He didn't in the Xbox version. I felt so ripped off.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #39
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
[oh...Jade empire is "not" gonna get a pc version...
at least of what Bioware said "Jade empire is created only on the Xbox's mechanisms"]
It'd be silly to release a PC demo if they're not going to port the game to PC...
Old 03-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #40
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Will my hero in the PC Fable have nipples on his chest? He didn't in the Xbox version. I felt so ripped off.
Imagine how he felt? Poor guy