You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
No justice. Only me.

Default WoW Servers?

Okay, so I finally took the plunge and ordered World of Warcraft from Amazon today. So begins my foray into the MMORPG genre. When I get it, I want to get right into it without having to worry about servers and such, so I wanted to get this out of the way beforehand and ask what servers all you other WoW players are on.

I know you can have multiple characters, and am I right in thinking they don't all have to be on the same server? So I'm going to make characters in those servers that have the most people I know in them. So let me know where you guys are.

(Caveat: The idea of PvP frightens me as a MMORPG newbie, so I'll be avoiding those servers for a while. Conversely, I want to join at least one RP server.)
Old 02-28-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
A Servicable Villain

Europeanly speaking, the situation is like this:
- All PvP-servers: jammed and crammed
- PvE-servers: balanced, some are crammed
- RP-servers: blissfully small population, rarely any lag
Since you like the idea of RP, I'd say that's a good choice. There's little chance of those servers ever overcrowding and thus breaking down. But this is, as stated, the European situation.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Your life as you know it has just ended

In the review they said that PvP in the world of warcraft can be frustrating as hell because of all the a**holes that play on the servers. You know that if you die in the game, you turn into a ghost and you gotta go find your body to resurrect. Well what some people do is they have a level of 60 or something, they kill you, and then they just wait near your corspe. Once your ghost finds its body, they will kill you again instantaneously and keep doing it, rendering the game unplayable. Be careful

Firefox rules
Old 02-28-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Your life as you know it has just ended
Meh. I have no life anyway thanks to computer games. At least this way I'll have some consistency with only one game.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 AM   #5

The PVP servers crowded? I don't think so. There are rarely any queues and when they appeared they never lasted longer than 5 minutes. I'm playing on Shattered Hand and the population is just right for me. There are players to be found everywhere, but never too much.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

The problem with the fiendish PvP players exists and the only thing you can do is either log off for some time until they get bored of camping near your body or call for help so that you outnumber them and scare them away.

As for the crowded servers, PvP ones are indeed more likely to get jammed but since you are about to start your adventure now, you have the option of choosing a Low populated one. It may get crowded sometime but until then, server maintenance is likely to get better. At least that's what they say..

Personally i play on Dunemaul PvP which started as Low about 15 days ago and has turned into Medium nowadays. I use a PSTN connection (mock me, i dare you) and i rarely get a lag that bothers my playing. Big, crowded cities like Ironforge tend to lag a lot more but out in the wilderness where most quests take place, the problem is almost impalpable or inexistent.

Hope you enjoy the game, dude. It really is the most addictive experience I ever encountered but i believe that on some level it deserves it. The name Taking Lives was registered by the movie company i guess or else they wouldn't have to resort to World of Warcraft

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #7
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texallos
Personally i play on Dunemaul PvP which started as Low about 15 days ago and has turned into Medium nowadays. I use a PSTN connection (mock me, i dare you) and i rarely get a lag that bothers my playing. Big, crowded cities like Ironforge tend to lag a lot more but out in the wilderness where most quests take place, the problem is almost impalpable or inexistent.
I've heard about the notorious Ironforge lag, especially around the auction houses, which is part of the reason I'm considering going with the horde for my first character. (Just part of it, though.)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
No justice. Only me.

Well, this game freaking rocks. It's also the sole reason I haven't been on in the last few days. I've got two characters on the Llane server right now, if anyone else happens to be on that one.

Right now I've got a lev. 15 dwarf rogue named Glodsson and a lev. 10 undead warlock named Colomar. Calavera was unfortunately already taken, and I just had to use a GF name for my undead character.

I'm afraid I've fallen victim to the disease that causes you to talk endlessly about your characters to anyone who will listen.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Well, this game freaking rocks. It's also the sole reason I haven't been on in the last few days. I've got two characters on the Llane server right now, if anyone else happens to be on that one.

Right now I've got a lev. 15 dwarf rogue named Glodsson and a lev. 10 undead warlock named Colomar. Calavera was unfortunately already taken, and I just had to use a GF name for my undead character.

I'm afraid I've fallen victim to the disease that causes you to talk endlessly about your characters to anyone who will listen.
The point is : Nobody will listen. :p