You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General OBSCURE has anyone played it.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #1

Default OBSCURE has anyone played it.

Just checking, does anyone think it's more of a action/adventure or is it an fps?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:49 AM   #2
Epinionated.

Action adventure or *says grudgingly* survival horror. Heard mixed things about it - possibly save your money for Cold Fear or pick up a Silent Hill on the cheap?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly3
Just checking, does anyone think it's more of a action/adventure or is it an fps?
I played the demo. I thought it was pretty good...not an adventure game...but a decent action/adventrue. The controls kinda suck though.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #4

It's a pretty good game, especially if you can get a friend to play with (it's got a great cooperative mode - don't know if you need a joypad for the PC-version, but I know it's possible). As a two-player game, it's superb.

It's not an adventure, though. There's some puzzles and lots of exploration (plus the story isn't too bad either), but you can't finish it without being pretty good at shooting things.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #5
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly3
Doesn't ring a bell. Sounds like a pretty obscure game.

mag
Old 01-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
merely human

The main selling feature of Obscure seems to be that it supports coop play, at least on the Xbox version. You and a buddy (and 2-3 A.I. friends) can kill beasties in a Buffy/teenage horror flick world, where each team member has his/her own exclusive talents to lend to the cause. Other than that it's probably more of a rental than a purchase. It's probably better to get for Xbox, cause the keyboard controls are awful. The PC demo was kinda lame.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
The main selling feature of Obscure seems to be that it supports coop play, at least on the Xbox version. You and a buddy (and 2-3 A.I. friends) can kill beasties in a Buffy/teenage horror flick world, where each team member has his/her own exclusive talents to lend to the cause. Other than that it's probably more of a rental than a purchase. It's probably better to get for Xbox, cause the keyboard controls are awful. The PC demo was kinda lame.
It's definitely not Buffy-like, it's not (primarily) about killing beasties (there's actually pretty few of them) and it definitely has more going for it than the coop option. It can be very scary, it forces you to play smart, and it's got a fairly decent story (good for a game). It's not to everyone's taste, but I had a great time playing through this (on the PS2) with my brother.

Oh, and you say it allows you to play with 2-3 A.I. characters - this is not the case, there can only be two active characters at a time (both of which can be player controlled).

It supports coop on all platforms (PC, PS2 & Xbox). You should perhaps try the demo before buying, if you're planning to play on a PC (though it's really not a good demo). I think it supports hand controllers (like a PS2-controller with an adaptor or something).
Old 01-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I bought the game for PS2 just before Xmas, and played it with hope for a few days. Unfortunately I soon became disinterested with it.

What started out as a teen survival horror/adventure romp soon descended into a "try and shoot the evil monsters whilst trying to ignore the annoying camera angles" gorefest!

When I first picked up this game in the shop it looked like it was going to be an entertaining and scary diversion from the more serious games I had recently been playing.
Boy was I disappointed - the game started off well although the objectives were a little "obscure". I ignored this, hoping the game would get better and I played for quite a while until.... I just became bored.

If you are looking for a game where you can run about, shoot monsters and solve dumb puzzles then this game is for you - I just found no atmosphere at all to what could have been a very scary game.
I mean, you are in a school with only 3 other friends to help you and when you have an objective to complete there are only 2 of you! This should have had me jumping out of my seat, as Project Zero(Fatal Frame) or Silent Hill did !
Old 01-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
Iconoclast

It isn't out in the US yet.

I'll probably buy it though, as I am dirty little horror game slut. I just can't help myself...
Old 01-30-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
...I am dirty little horror game slut. I just can't help myself...
STFU!! You're giving me a hard-on!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien