You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Games for a Gameboy Advance SP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #1
Freeware Co-ordinator

Default Games for a Gameboy Advance SP

My nephew's birthday is coming up and it has been suggested I get him a game for his new Gameboy Advance SP. I'm slightly hampered in this quest by having not a clue what is available for this machine, let alone if any of it's any good.

So can anyone make any suggestions. Suitable for a 9 year old boy and available (either in shops or online) in the UK please.

Thanks in advance.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
merely human

What kinds does he like?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
What kinds does he like?
On the playstation he had things like Gubble (sort of puzzly game) and Harry Potter one (puzzle/adventure?) and he also had Croc (3-D platformer) so he seems to like a bit of variety. Not seen him play any racing or fighting games though.

Cold Topic

Old 01-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
rio
Custom User Title

Wario Ware. I had a thread about this maybe a month ago (here ) in which Remo recommended it to me and the game is awesome. Its impossible not to like.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio
Wario Ware. I had a thread about this maybe a month ago (here ) in which Remo recommended it to me and the game is awesome. Its impossible not to like.
Thanks for the link. Is Wario Ware suitably for a 9 year old in terms of content/difficulty?

Cold Topic

Old 01-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Wario Ware is basically an assortment of over a 140 minigames which are easy to play but have incredible replay value. I'm sure a 9 year old can handle it, my 4 year old nephew tried it out one time and although he had obvious problems with timing his button presses he did manage to cope with a few of the minigames.

Bottom line, it is pure fun and full of absurdity.

EDIT: Uh, don't quote me on that 140 number, but it's somewhere close to that. Or was it 200? I forget. But it's my favourite GBA game.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #7
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

The GBA is a great machine. Pound for pound, it's one of the most worthwhile current systems you can pick up.

Royal Fool: Yes, I think it's 200. And I'd recommend Wario Ware to anyone.

And if you're interested in ensuring he gets his gaming history (I hate the thought of kids growing up without knowing their roots), you could pick up any of the Super Mario Advance titles, which are ports of the original Super Mario platformers for the NES and SNES. Since you mentioned a platformer among the games he has, those should be good in terms of difficulty. Super Mario World (which is labeled on the box as Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2) might be the most suitable as a modern introduction to the series, as it's technically the "newest".

Astro Boy: Omega Factor was also very well-received. I haven't played it so I can't give any personal experience, but it's definitely one of the highest-reviewed games on the GBA. It's a side-scrolling action game as well.

The GBA Metroid titles are excellent, but I'm not sure if I'd subject a 9-year-old to them unless he's a pretty pretty proficient gamer--at times they were so difficult that even a Metroid fan like me was put on hold for weeks.

If he likes Tony Hawk skating-type stuff, the GBA versions of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater are apparently quite good. I've never played them but the console series (pre-Underground) is one of the most consistently great series I've played.

If none of these seem appropriate or you need more, let me know. I can recommend other stuff.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-19-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
Game fanatic

Also, Mario & Lugi: Superstar Saga offers a very lengthy adventure with some parts puzzling, some parts fighting (still about using the wisest move at the right time). May be a bit too hard, perhaps, but I know nine-year-olds who would love it.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
Banned User

Get him Broken Sword. I got it, and it's pretty good considering the lengh of the game they fit onto one cart
Old 01-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #10
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Zelda: A Link to the Past (& Four Swords, for when he meets his buddies who own GBAs too)

A Link to The Past is, IMO, the best Zelda game and it's not too hard.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I'd recommend Wario Ware, Rayman, Chu Chu Rocket (if he likes puzzle games), Zelda: Link to the Past, or any games in the Sonic Advance (especially the first one), Mario Advance (especially Yoshi's Island) , or Tony Hawk series (I've only played the first one on GBA but theyre all well received) -- all three of those are great series of games on the GBA that are hard to miss -- ... And a billion other games. As Chris said, the GBA is a great system.

I would only get him Broken Sword if you know he likes adventure games. There is a lot of text to read, and the GBA version of Broken Sword (as far as I know) has some really odd puzzle bugs, where if you don't complete something in the right order you can't beat the game without starting over...

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I would only get him Broken Sword if you know he likes adventure games. There is a lot of text to read, and the GBA version of Broken Sword (as far as I know) has some really odd puzzle bugs, where if you don't complete something in the right order you can't beat the game without starting over...
Oh yeahhhhh?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #13
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Well that's just what i heard...

Yep, there it is.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 01-19-2005, 03:28 PM   #14

I recomend "WarioWare" as well as "Mario VS Donkey Kong". Two of my favorite Game boy games.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
Freeware Co-ordinator

Hey, is all this stuff suitable for 11,12,13,14,etc, etc year olds as well because, if so, I think I'm sorted for his birthdays for quite a while now.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments. I knew I'd find the help I needed here.

Cold Topic