You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Do you play on a conole or PC?

View Poll Results: which consoles/PC do you play
I play XBOX 27 35.53%
I play PS2 25 32.89%
I Play Gamecube 20 26.32%
I play PC 71 93.42%
I intrepidly cross the marvelous terrains, from one platform to another (please explain) 6 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #41
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Wow I'm surprised how people here are divided between the XBOX and PS2. Was there ever a time when two consoles shared the glory this much. As I remember, it's always been 1 console that was dominant for a while before it fizzes out.
There may be a lot of passionate Xbox owners, but I'm pretty sure the PS2 is still maintaining its dominance in terms of sales. Kind of like how a lot of people talk about how superior the Dreamcast was, but the system didn't do so well when you looked at the sales.

Then again, Sony's position may have changed since the last time I checked. But they were pretty well ahead of the pack. I doubt Microsoft could have gained on them that much.

mag
Old 01-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #42
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
My Xbox definitely isn't modded. And it will do the conversion regardless [...]
Oh. That "NSTC and modded" was supposed to be an "NTSC (unmodded) or PAL modded" Xbox!
Sorry for putting it in such a mistakable way! @self

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point about resolutions and monitors is (I'm not disagreeing, I just literally am not sure what you mean). I know that an X2VGA is only useful with a monitor; that's the point of the device.
Yeah, I should have been a bit more explanatory there too.

My point was: It's only really benefical on CRT monitors. Cause LCD displays traditionally convert any incoming resolution (say 1280x720 in case of an Xbox 720p HD game) into the native format of your LCD (say 1280x768) - thus will show a somwhat jaggy image.
But I think, there are LCDs on the market in the meantime, which support HDTV resolutions. (N.B.: Keywords are 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Another thing to watch out for is 4:3 vs. 16:9...)

Yeah, it's a bit complicated. And as a matter of fact, I haven't got any first-hand experiences with Xbox HD graphics. (Thus I tried to keep it short in my first post! )
But do some surfing on the web, and I'm sure you'll find some first-hand experiences/opinions regarding that problem.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:23 PM   #43
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Ah, ok. Understood now. Yeah, I see your point about the CRT monitor.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 PM   #44
furryyellowthing

Quote:
[...] X2VGA [...] The documentation says it works with LCD monitors too, though, except in the cases of a few very old models.
Yeah, it works. But in many cases it won't look good - which is the idea of the whole thing. (Except, if you don't have a TV-set for your Xbox at all.)
It's definitely an issue one should look into before getting the X2VGA, if you intend to hook it up with an LCD!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #45
furryyellowthing

Quote:
Yeah, I see your point about the CRT monitor.
Also, even with CRTs... the Xbox "1080i" resolution is 1920x1080 pixel interlaced (that's 2x960x1080 @60/2 fps) in a 16:9 ratio.
Not even all CRTs can properly display that. And if they do, it will be basically be skewed to a 4:3 ratio at first. So you'll have to f*%# with the settings for the geometry of your monitor then...

Then again, I don't even know if there's one game supporting 1080i...
Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 PM   #46
merely human

Sheesh, guys!! All I wanna know is WHERE CAN I GET ONE?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #47
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Trep: http://www.x2vga.com/

BoyToy: There are some games that support 1080i on the Xbox. These are Dragon's Lair 3D, Enter the Matrix, Atari Anthology (!?), MX Unleashed, and Syberia (hooray adventure games!). I'm sure there are a couple more. Those are just the ones I could find. But yeah, it's not very common.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #48
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
My computer is like my best friend when I play on it at home.
Hehe! My computer is my best friend! The PS2 is like a cousin who I get on with but only like to play with at weekends
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 AM   #49

Hardware is incidental. I prefer the games.

On Technoholism...
Old 02-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #50
Obligated Sinner

Send a message via AIM to Strawberry Gashes Send a message via MSN to Strawberry Gashes

I mainly play my Playstation 2. It has the widest variety of games, has nearly all of the great RPGs that I like, and has backwards compatibility with PSX games.

I love my Gamecube, but it's currently broken and I'll have to see about getting a new one.

I'm thinking about purchasing an XBox for my birthday in a month. No, I'm not buying it for its game line up. I'm buying it for its SNES rom functionality and XBox Live.

My PC..hm..I have quite a few good games for it, but I don't really use my PC for gaming much, sinces I'm afraid of using up too much memory with some of them, and I need a better video card to play Final Fantasy XI.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #51
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Gashes
I love my Gamecube, but it's currently broken and I'll have to see about getting a new one.
Wow, how'd that happen? Word on the street (i.e. I can in no way confirm this) is that the GameCube's the sturdiest of the three consoles.

Anyway, I would've expected the GameCube to do a lot worse in the polls. Hooray for the GameCube.