You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Geneforge 2 out for windows!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2003, 02:59 AM   #1
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar
Default Geneforge 2 out for windows!

One of the best RPG games I've played has got a follow up and is now available gor windows also (it has been available for mac for some time). Download the demo immediately! And buy the game!

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge2/index.html

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #2
BigRobot

Whenever I finish up the original, I'll be sure to pick this'n up. The previous game was simply fantastic and criminally underlooked. There are those out there who feel it was on par with the Fallout games, which no other modern-day RPG can touch in my opinion. I feel bad for those "self-proclaimed graphics whores" amongst us, as they're truly missing out on something great.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

I ried the trial version of Geneforge 1 way back... Remember that I liked it, but, I dunno.... I feel that there should be more RPGs like Planescape out there, that focuses a heck of a lot more on the role-playing of an RPG instead of the stats and figures.... (Or am I being stupid and Genefore DOES contain that?)
Old 10-17-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
I ried the trial version of Geneforge 1 way back... Remember that I liked it, but, I dunno.... I feel that there should be more RPGs like Planescape out there, that focuses a heck of a lot more on the role-playing of an RPG instead of the stats and figures.... (Or am I being stupid and Genefore DOES contain that?)
You are being stupid. The game contains A LOT of story. It has simply a really good story which is openended and loads of conversation to go through. You can take the decisions you want and live with the consequences. If you don't like fighting, there is almost always a way around the fighting (at least the worst of it). It is also about stats (it's an RPG after all), but that is not the main thing about the game.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-17-2003, 11:37 PM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Oh, goodie. So your stats affect more things than just your chance to hit something? And you can decide to be evil/good without the game nudging you to be one or the other?
Old 10-18-2003, 12:37 AM   #6
BigRobot

Quote:
Oh, goodie. So your stats affect more things than just your chance to hit something? And you can decide to be evil/good without the game nudging you to be one or the other?
Oh, yes. There's a "leadership" skill which affects dialogue choices, for one thing.

Also, there's three factions in the game; joining any of these (or none) significantly affects the game and its outcome. You can also choose to side with the bad guy(s) should you wish.

I also feel that the game's setting, a mixture of high-fantasy and sci-fi, is something worth mentioning, because I feel it's very inventive and unique.

Old 10-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #7
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Yes, you can be how good/evil you want. Some people went around and killed all serviles in all the villages. I do think it is possible to not kill any *people* too and finish the game.

And for Geneforge I would like to test to finish the game without using canisters, but that might be quite hard.

And to stats, yes leadership and luck affects what you can say to different people.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-18-2003, 02:22 AM   #8
Kosmonaut

Send a message via AIM to Phil25 Send a message via MSN to Phil25

Oh! Thanks for the news Rags, loved the first one. My only issue with that game was that the other two classes weren't really that needed since the focus of the game was on shaping, but it was a nice bonus. {runs off to download}
Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
Babbling as Usual

The engine looks vaguely familar...

Are these the guys who created the Exile games?

(Yes, I am too tired right now to search for the answer. It's almost 3 AM here.)
Old 09-12-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
The engine looks vaguely familar...

Are these the guys who created the Exile games?

(Yes, I am too tired right now to search for the answer. It's almost 3 AM here.)
Yes, the are. And I wouldn't mind, but they remade all of the Exile games as Avernum games. All of them. Originality out the window, and he'd only made one other game at the time :S...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-12-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I purchased this game through Real Arcade...
What?
Old 09-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Evil Incarnate

Have they asked Bullfrog permission to use that frog-model?