You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Video Games and Gender: a National Public Radio audio forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
merely human

Default Video Games and Gender: a National Public Radio audio forum

top: the women of E3. bottom: Heather, unlikely heroine of Silent Hill 3.

Quote:
Video Games and Gender
host: Gretchen Helfrich
panel:
Henry Jenkins: Professor of Literature and Comparative Media Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and author of From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender and Computer Games
Gerard Jones: Author of Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy Games, Superheroes, and Make Believe Violence
Jeanne Funk: Professor of Psychology at the University of Toledo in Ohio
rebroadcast

Listen to the Entire Program (runs just under 1 hour, stream it or d/l to hear later)
From Tomb Raider to The Sims to Black & White, how much cultural influence, confluence, societal tinging, and involvement do games and gaming have on gender? How much does it matter, and how concerned and involved should parents be on the games their kids play in regards to gender conditioning? Is the games industry neglecting females, and to what extent? How pervasive is the view that the games industry is a 'boys only' territory? Are games socially perceived as masculine? If so, is there a possibility of future games being more gender neutral as market demands or as gaming culture shifts and matures?

Listen to the audio forum and let's discuss!

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 10-12-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I'll have to listen later on... but I noticed one thing: The pictures don't display in Internet Explorer, but work perfectly in Opera.

(Reminds me of my Psychonauts wallpaper incident, lol... )

EDIT: Okay, that was very weird. Now they suddenly work, after I have viewed them once in Opera.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

My speakers don't work. Will they play it again? I never seem to catch anything interesting on NPR, though it is a station I listen to often.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #4
merely human

It's archived in their website, Kingz, so you can d/l and listen to it another way if needed.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-12-2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Adventure Gamer

This is an interesting issue, since this issue has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years.

Read this article, which posts some interesting facts you may not realize about people who play video games:
* 26% of game players are women 18 or older
* 21% of game players are boys 6 to 17.
* The average age of players has risen to 29.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techrev...er-stats_x.htm

--BPF
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM   #6
After 2 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfinsa
Read this article, which posts some interesting facts you may not realize about people who play video games:
* 26% of game players are women 18 or older
* 21% of game players are boys 6 to 17.
* The average age of players has risen to 29.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techrev...er-stats_x.htm

--BPF
tnxs for the link

-------

If you think about it, this was something it was gonna happen. The old(and first one) generation of gaming are getting older while the next ones are getting more and more into gaming...

As for gender war in videogames...

Quote:
How pervasive is the view that the games industry is a 'boys only' territory?
Did happen, but it's in the past

Quote:
Are games socially perceived as masculine?
NIAAAA...i don't think they did, i don't think they will

Quote:
If so, is there a possibility of future games being more gender neutral as market demands or as gaming culture shifts and matures?
They are already on their way...

----------------------------

and tnxs trep for the link...too bad i cannot download it now. I am at the university...later
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 10-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
merely human

Well, anyone else listen to this? I presume these forums are among the most intelligent and passionate group of gamers who would really wanna discuss this. Right?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #8
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

It's on my to-do list, so as long as you keep bumping the thread, I'll get to it in the next few days. Would've done it yesterday, 'cept for a West Wing marathon.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"