You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts news?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
peb
Colossal

Default Psychonauts news?

Anybody heard when this game is going to be ready? I haven't heard much news about it and the Double Fine page just seems to be a comedy page rather than contain info (although it's really good comedy). Gamespot has a December 2003 release date but I'm sure that's just a guess. This game is the main reason I'm getting an X-Box.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

It's pretty widely postulated by gamers and the press that the game will not come out until at least first quarter 04.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-12-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
It's pretty widely postulated by gamers and the press that the game will not come out until at least first quarter 04.
That had to be the quickest reply ever! Thanks. You don't have your computer to auto-reply to any thread titled "Psychonauts news?", do you?
Old 10-12-2003, 02:39 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Heh, no. I didn't even realize you'd just posted your thread actually I just click on the View New Posts button habitually whenever I'm at the computer doing other things.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Game's doing fine. There was a brief article at some magazine recently... there is a scan in the church, I am too lazy to go there and put a link here...
Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Game's doing fine. There was a brief article at some magazine recently... there is a scan in the church, I am too lazy to go there and put a link here...
Don't worry. I was able to find it myself. But in that article it said "late 2004". I hope that's just an incorrect guess.

I got a little worried when I watched that Discovery Channel special on the X-Box. They were showing the behind the scenes development of some other game whose name escapes me and Microsoft brought in some lackey to crack whips. It looked like they also fired some dude who had been part of the development up until then but they obviously weren't clear on that. Anyway, I just wonder if Tim and his crew are having to put up with incessant demands from Microsoft and that's the reason for the delays.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
Tactlessly understated

Far from it. I am not at liberty* to say anything but far from it.

* I could not be at liberty because a) I don't know shit, b) I am not supposed to know shit, c) because I am full of shit.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:19 PM   #8
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
Anybody heard when this game is going to be ready? I haven't heard much news about it and the Double Fine page just seems to be a comedy page rather than contain info (although it's really good comedy). Gamespot has a December 2003 release date but I'm sure that's just a guess. This game is the main reason I'm getting an X-Box.
Yes, it contains very little actual info on the game. But I think that's really their way of keeping the game secret. Still fun to read when they update.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Psychonauts is very much Holiday 2004 at this point, and I think that's the final not-slippable-anymore timeframe. As Gamespot now erroniously(sp?) notes, the game was slated for holiday 2003, but Microsoft gave them a year extension because they like the game, apparently. Or something like that. Maybe they just got the extension because the game isn't remotely done yet. Oh well. If I was Microsoft I'd like it.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Holiday 2004

Ah well... More time to save up for an Xbox, I suppose...

Old 10-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #11
Banned User

They must beat the Gamecube in price and go for ninety eight Americans!

Ohhh the sweat!

I was at Target buying a hat yesterday and the console was $170. Man is everyone going to be surprised when the Xbox distributors decided to take the advice from tapping my phoneline when I had that conversation with that guy about how I need to change the oil in my car three weeks earlier from today and I was all like "Man, Xbox should be ninety eight dollars, I bought a hat at Target!" and then he decided to reply with his usual asinine responses, I mean, you know how it is... life is taking your money and your buying a hat at Target and then next thing you know, you want to buy an Xbox and Psychonauts because you suffered major head trauma from being locked inside Target with a hat you were buying and Tim Schafer when you were nine years old, but instead you wanted Microsoft to change prices to ninety eight and fight Gamecube to the death because they are winning with the Sonic the Hedgehog remake where he is wearing a hat from Target because he needs to change the oil in his car three weeks earlier, even thought Tails is really named Miles Prower, and I told that friend on the phone that it really means "Miles per Hour, get it?! See they are Japanese and they are measuring names for namesake in inferior American units?!?! I cannot believe how topsy turvy this world has become three weeks earlier, maybe they will change the price to ninety eight dollars for an Xbox because I'm waiting for a chance to play psychonauts at a frugal quality because I still need to change the oil in my car and buy this hat from being locked inside a Target late at night without money with my father Tim Schafer!"
Old 10-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #12
Tactlessly understated

Wait ten years, they'll be cheap then.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil
blah blah blah
Man, you're super clever for some brains.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:43 AM   #14
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Psychonauts is very much Holiday 2004 at this point, and I think that's the final not-slippable-anymore timeframe. As Gamespot now erroniously(sp?) notes, the game was slated for holiday 2003, but Microsoft gave them a year extension because they like the game, apparently. Or something like that. Maybe they just got the extension because the game isn't remotely done yet. Oh well. If I was Microsoft I'd like it.
Holiday 2004.

I was going to get an X-Box this Christmas, but maybe I'll get a Gamecube instead since it's $80 cheaper and it actually has games that I like that I COULD BUY RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, Grim came out in 1998. So why does it take Schafer 6 years to make another game? This had better be the ultimate game ever.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
Holiday 2004.

I was going to get an X-Box this Christmas, but maybe I'll get a Gamecube instead since it's $80 cheaper and it actually has games that I like that I COULD BUY RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, Grim came out in 1998. So why does it take Schafer 6 years to make another game? This had better be the ultimate game ever.
Well, I'm not sure what he was doing from 1998-2000 (Jake?) but I'm fairly confident that work on Psychonauts didn't start until sometime mid 2000 (when Double Fine was founded). So, that gives Psychonauts a production time of around four years. Granted that is a bit longer than the normal 2-3 years, but I'm sure it will be well worth the wait.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:16 AM   #16
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosferatu
Well, I'm not sure what he was doing from 1998-2000 (Jake?)
WHAT!? Tim was doing Jake? This is VERY shocking. :eek:

--Erwin
Old 10-13-2003, 05:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
WHAT!? Tim was doing Jake? This is VERY shocking. :eek:

--Erwin
Hm... I had never thought of that. I suppose it is a possibility... :eek:

That would explain how he knows so much.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peb
That had to be the quickest reply ever!
You never met moos in his prime, did you?

And, hee, yeah, he could get all the juicy tidbits from Tim's pillow talk
Old 10-13-2003, 06:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
You never met moos in his prime, did you?
8-)
Old 10-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #20
:P ^^^ at tamz

Send a message via ICQ to twifkak Send a message via AIM to twifkak Send a message via MSN to twifkak Send a message via Yahoo to twifkak

Quote:
erroniously(sp?)
erroneously

I'd imagine the delay is a result of Tim et al being their normal procrastinating + perfectionist selves.

through a broadband ISP | i am back to steal your bandwidth

--Spammo-head, "Windbag"