You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Tomb Raider VII coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 05:29 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Tomb Raider VII coming?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07...s_6102962.html

Quote:
Tomb Raider VII coming summer 2005?

Creators of the Lara Croft comic book say the game heroine's next adventure is a year away; Eidos refuses to comment.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #2
No justice. Only me.

For chrissake Eidos, STOP IT with the Tomb Raider! You're only embarrassing yourselves!

Dammit, Lara Croft died three games ago, why the hell do they keep putting her corpse on display?
Old 07-20-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
For chrissake Eidos, STOP IT with the Tomb Raider! You're only embarrassing yourselves!

Dammit, Lara Croft died three games ago, why the hell do they keep putting her corpse on display?
sorry i thought she was resirected in game 4 or 5 didnt no she was still dead

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-20-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
Mostly absent

Quote:

Because they're idiots, that's why.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

It's still a very marketable brand name that's guaranteed X number of sales, so they're no idiots. Just creatively bankrupt, but hey - they're publishers, so we already knew that.

The Tomb Raiders aren't so much BAD (I haven't played AoD) as they are outdated. The first one broke new ground, and the sequels did nothing but rehash the exact same thing. They're like the adventure games of the action genre.

I'm actually curious to see what a new developer comes up with. And a little Spector sure wouldn't hurt.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #6
guybrush_guy

i loved the first one, it was a great game but it all went down hill from there. i remember playing one of the games for dreamcast. it was one of the most glichy games i have ever played

Old 07-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Woohoo! What an excellent opportunity to show this graph again. It proves that creative bankrupcy does in fact translate to bad sales in the long run.

It will take a great Tomb Raider game to bring the franchise back to life.

Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

No doubt the sales have been taking a beating. Still, by the time you factor in worldwide sales and console sales (can't tell if that graph includes that or not), it probably ends up managing to sell enough units to make a lot of (GOOD) games jealous.

I suspect the days of 2 million are long gone, though, even with a great game.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #9
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidos
Eidos expects to put 2 million copies of Angel of Darkness into circulation
That's a lot of Tomb Raider games that are going to be hanging around bargain bins for DECADES to come. I heard the game was so glitchy that I wouldn't take a copy for free. Well, no, I would. Then I'd sell it on E-bay to some poor sap who didn't research the game's reviews first.

EDIT: By the way, if sales are anything to go by, I'm not the only one who thinks Lara Croft should stay dead. There's a HUGE dropoff after The Last Revelation.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:16 AM   #10
merely human

The problem is that Lara has become the biggest prostitute to Eidos's pimp, and Eidos is not exactly about to let her be 'johned' around by anyone for fear of her losing her, um....'appeal'.* Considering this, I have low expectations in terms of quality for the next TR game. But naturally, the gullible fanwhores and ignorant parents of even more ignorant kiddies will buy it no matter how bad (or good?) the game will be.

* In other words, the more wealthy and successful a company becomes with its product, the more paranoid it gets about losing it all and hence it can't help but latch desperately onto an old, old, old........OLD idea. Interestingly enough, Ms. Croft's tits have managed to defy the gravity of age all these years.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I've actually played every Tomb Raider game there is, because a friend of mine bought them all.

I think only the first and the fourth were good games, all else was bad.

But anyway, I wonder if Warren Spector is developing that game as it was gossiped months ago?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #12
merely human

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation was my introduction to Ms. Croft, her generous mammary glands, and her world. I had a fantastic time. I tried to play TR3, but for some technical reason I wasn't able to leave the London levels. I played Tomb Raider: Chronicles, but the only really enjoyable level was the Ireland one, when she was still a wee little teeny bopper.

I would believe that Spector is involved with the next TR installment, but you know Eidos. They'll manage to fook it up one way or another.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
In other words, the more wealthy and successful a company becomes with its product, the more paranoid it gets about losing it all and hence it can't help but latch desperately onto an old, old, old........OLD idea.
Kudos, then, to Nintendo, for trying new things with their mascot character. Super Mario Sunshine may not have been the hit that Mario 64 was, but damn if it didn't give the character a new twist.

Granted, Mario is a very flexible character, so you can do almost anything with him. A character as flat (okay, pointed in a few places,) as Lara does NOT make a good company mascot. Plus, Mario tends to only have one or two games per console platform, (the ad nauseum Mario Parties notwithstanding,) so you never really get sick of him.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:16 AM   #14

I've only played TR1 and TRIV and they were fun, but i've heard the last was too glitchy but i think they tried something new. Maybe there is something new in the next one, but i really dont believe that release date.

One thing I dont understand is how can anybody say Lara Croft is a flat character.... right... she, alone, created the concept of video game star with personality.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #15
guybrush_guy

i remember playing one whole level ware you could walk threw a wall at any moment. that was kinda tough when you had to crawl in tight wall spaces

Old 07-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
I've only played TR1 and TRIV and they were fun, but i've heard the last was too glitchy but i think they tried something new. Maybe there is something new in the next one, but i really dont believe that release date.

One thing I dont understand is how can anybody say Lara Croft is a flat character.... right... she, alone, created the concept of video game star with personality.
By "flat," I mean she only does one thing successfully: she explores tombs and other archeological sites. She's Indiana Jones with a D-cup. Her later incarnations, where they tried to branch her out into more Mission Impossible settings, did not work. Compare that to something like Mario, who you can conceivably put in any number of situations, from kart racing, to golf, to tennis. A character with personality is good, but if they aren't flexible in what they can do, it's impossible to stretch them out without them becoming boring. Like Lara has become.

And Lara created the video game star with personality by herself? So Duke Nukem, Kyle Katarn, and others were just paving the way for her, then? (Hell, even Lo Wang had some input.) Lara only created the concept of video game stars having personality if you put the history of videogames down as starting at the PS1.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #17

Quote:
By "flat," I mean she only does one thing successfully: she explores tombs and other archeological sites. She's Indiana Jones with a D-cup. Her later incarnations, where they tried to branch her out into more Mission Impossible settings, did not work. Compare that to something like Mario, who you can conceivably put in any number of situations, from kart racing, to golf, to tennis. A character with personality is good, but if they aren't flexible in what they can do, it's impossible to stretch them out without them becoming boring. Like Lara has become.

And Lara created the video game star with personality by herself? So Duke Nukem, Kyle Katarn, and others were just paving the way for her, then? (Hell, even Lo Wang had some input.) Lara only created the concept of video game stars having personality if you put the history of videogames down as starting at the PS1.
I agree that the tomb raider games look all the same and the later incarnations went the wrong way. but I was talking about the background, the character development and all the "laras attitude" that emerged from the games. Of course duke nukem and all are stars in videogaming community but to general public lara is one of a few well known and was probably the first. Just look at the money the movies made.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #18
merely human

Rancor, you need to put it in the largest context possible. People in the remotest parts of China know who Lara Croft is. They've never heard of Duke Nukem or Kyle Katarn. Maybe some of them are familiar with Mario, but Lara ultimately rules the fame circuit.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:51 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Oh, how I loath Lara Croft. Those games are all so awful I can not begin to explain. They have stupid switch puzzles and idiotic enemies that are felled by circle strafing. She makes some quips, that's not personality. She every British woman ever except she has big tits and a few guns. Without those tits the game would have never made it to market. It's an awful, shallow, repedive series. Tomb Rader is what's wrong with video games.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #20
Irritant F0rum Beasty

It also spawned one of the worst movies iv 'e ever seen. I never had the misfortune of seeing the sequel, and probably won't have the misfortune of seeing the next sequel. There are certain mistakes you only make once.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!