You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General LittleBigPlanet... what am I missing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default LittleBigPlanet... what am I missing?

I recently got a PS3 and one of the first games I bought (after Heavy Rain ) was LittleBigPlanet, since I've heard great things about it and it got really good reviews.

After spending a few hours with it, I find I'm just not having fun. (Actually my jaw hurts from clenching my teeth so much!) The controls seem clumsy, my sackgirl keeps dying (so much so that I keep having to restart levels from the beginning), I'm overwhelmed by all the goodies and prizes and stickers and etc. that I'm collecting and don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing with them. I appreciate the existence of the tutorial but cringe every time I'm supposed to press a button to learn something new because I can't keep track of it all, and that British guy just goes on and on...

What do you guys think... do I need to stick with it and suddenly I'll hit critical mass and realize how awesome this game is? Or maybe it's just not for me?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #2

Right there with you, I appreciated Little Big Planet's art direction and ambition but didn't enjoy the actual gameplay at all. One of those games you either love or hate it seems. If you're looking for more games I'll peer pressure you and demand you play Uncharted.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:27 AM   #3

I found LBP2 much better than the first....but I suggest playing with friends instead of by yourself. That's where all the fun is at.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #4

The Little Big Planet phenomenon would've been nothing without its devoted community.There's an abnormally enormous amount of fanmade levels out there
you can enjoy solo or with friends. The sequel makes the first game obsolete though, since it updates everything, adding a lot more tools to its robust level editor, and makes all previously made levels in LBP backward-compatible.

The gameplay is a love/hate affair. obviously, so it may be not for you.

What's neat about LBP is how you can simulate other games/interactive content and create your own from scratch, and althogh the gameplay/interactivity is probably on a lesser scale than the source material, it's still commendable for a game to be able to do that.
If you don't like creating, you can still enjoy other people's creations, and there are some really imaginative gems out there.

But as I said, LBP's aesthetics may not be for you. I've heard this complaint from many other people.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

Always "Play Online", and wait for people near the entrance if they don't put you with anybody right away.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
After spending a few hours with it, I find I'm just not having fun.
I was the same with Black and White. I don't play many non-adventures, but had heard so many good things about that game. I saw it cheap in a store so bought it for my kids, and promised them a great experience. Such a disappointment. A think a lot of games are really only meant for existing fams of a genre.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter the Story View Post
I was the same with Black and White. I don't play many non-adventures, but had heard so many good things about that game. I saw it cheap in a store so bought it for my kids, and promised them a great experience. Such a disappointment. A think a lot of games are really only meant for existing fams of a genre.
Black & White was absurdly overrated. Years later, GameSpy and IGN admitted as much.

Edit: In other words, I wouldn't use that unfortunate experience as a reason for you to stop trying out well-received titles in other genres.

Last edited by Venkman; 07-27-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:06 PM   #8

Black and White was fairly good as a creature sim, it just completely failed at creating a game around that.