You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Looking for a competent story writer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Looking for a competent story writer

Looking for a competent writer, who's written a script for a story based video game...
Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

Or a platformer...
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Life and times of...

Well, I'm not at all the one you want but perhaps you should provide a bit more info, so that people know what you're going for?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #4

Oh, thanks for the suggestion. I haven't written about it in detail, because I don't really have a specific genre or medium, or style in mind - and because I was in a hurry.

I'm an advanced JavaScript developer, and a games enthusiast, and I've worked up some magic with developing a couple of engines, and behavioural coding for games. I'm looking to assemble a working game, that's a quality work of art. This is the next stage in my creative challenge.

Therefore I'm looking for a visual artist and/or a writer who is passionate, and dedicated to creating a great quality video game.

You need to be a little more than just an enthusiast. You have to have a portfolio that showcases your skill in your near-professional area of interest.

I wonder if anyone like that around here is interested in joining up with me, to bring to life from start to finish a great looking video game, with an inspiring story.

I prefer not to wait for someone to write a story, though. Perhaps an already written idea, story, storyboard, and synopsis would be better. Something that the writer has been thinking about for a long time. Something that - if not written already - could be finalised in a week or so.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

as much as I'd love to help I'm afraid I just don't have time at the moment, but good luck finding someone
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #6

I just can't believe that on a gaming forum, like this one, no-one is interested in working with me, to create a high quality game.

I'm bot b*sh*tting, when I say that I've got working code that would make the game run, marvellously.

Is there really no-one here who's interested in working with me here, and has something to show for it?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #7

Okay, nevermind... I guess I'll have to work something out, by myself...
Old 05-16-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
I changed my title

Maybe you should try an indie development forum?
This is a forum for fans of the genre. Not all fans are willing to write stories.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Hey boki,

As much as your offer of doing professional code for someone else's story seems tempting, the fact that you don't give links or any sort of info about the games you say you worked on seems strange.

I think it would also help if you gave examples of games you value, that you would aim to match in quality with a help of a writer/artist. "A great looking video game, with an inspiring story" is a little vague.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
Maybe you should try an indie development forum?
This is a forum for fans of the genre. Not all fans are willing to write stories.
I agree - I'm sure there are tons of forums out there that are simply about indie game developers and whatnot. You'll definitely find people who are willing to help there, and I'm surprised if this is actually the only place you've asked.

There are such even for just adventure games (I'll not name any so as not to sound biased but at least the adventure game making programs have such forums ), not to mention broader genre-specifics.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #11

Well I am interested. I have been writing game concepts since ever and I have some ready scripts if boki is still interested thing is, i'd be more confident in working with you if you provide some of the things the other members said, like links, samples, and such
Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #12

I don't know what on earth I could link to, lol. Code is code, and just that. Depending on what kind of game we were going for, I could perhaps upload a demo for you - to try out how the interactivity/physics work.

Umiamano, you can tell me about your ideas via email, if you like. My address is [email protected]

Thanks for the support, UPtimist and Ascovel. This forum does have an indie game dev section - as far as I know - but I guess I'd have more luck on a dedicated game dev forum. I just like this community so much - being an adventure game fan - that I haven't thought of posting elsewhere.

Games I think of in high regard are Syberia, The Last Express, Prince of Persia, Kana - Little Sister, Gabriel Knight, Tomb Raider: Underworld, most recently Mirror's Edge, etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #13

I should think there are plenty of aspiring writers who would be willing to work on this, but I don't know how many actually have a portfolio.

I'm a writer and have plenty of short stories, but I wouldn't know how to write with a game in mind.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #14

Sounds interesting in concept but frankly doubt it would be fun working with you and since there's no financial incentive...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #15

I've been working on a design for an adventure game for a long time now. I have the theme, plot, characters, etc pretty well fleshed out; however, the devil is in the details. I'm trying to do something a little bit different and for me the biggest problem is finding a way to seamlessly integrate the puzzles into the game such that they make sense and don't bring the experience to a grinding halt.

I see a lot of indie games die in mid development because there was too much re-work and thrashing during dev when all the story elements and puzzles needed to have been story-boarded well ahead of time, so I want to get this right up front.

In pursuit of this, I spent months playing some of my favorite adventure games and taking notes on pacing, room / map design, puzzle integration, NPC placement and interaction, etc. My conclusion is that this is not an easy process at all, and in fact that most games do this very badly, even the so-called classics. Many fans of the genre give passes to bad or incongruous puzzles and grade the game based almost purely on the story and mood.

I don't think that this is good enough. And so I continue to chip away at my design in the hopes that one day I will have something that I won't be ashamed of attaching my name to.

Anyway, my point is that you're asking for an awful lot. Coding an adventure game is fairly trivial; it's the design and the artwork that really take the time, talent, and most importantly effort. And I'm speaking as someone who derives his living from writing code...