You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Daryl F Gates Dead at 83

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Default Daryl F Gates Dead at 83

Worst Kotaku article ever.

http://kotaku.com/5519601/cop-who-ma...u/full+(Kotaku)

Calling Police Quest 4 and SWAT complete disappointments is sad. I really liked both games.

Not to mention the saddest insults ever in the comment section.

I hate people sometimes. -_-

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Yeah PQ4 is my most favorite one. I still don't understand why the negativity... so it was more about detective work than actual police work. So what?! It's not like they should have called it "Detective Quest". Please.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

I would agree with calling Police Quest Swat a disappointment, but I'm not so sure a post announcing the man's death is the proper time to point that out.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
I would agree with calling Police Quest Swat a disappointment, but I'm not so sure a post announcing the man's death is the proper time to point that out.
Absolutely. Honestly, SWAT offered something which no other SWAT game offered, and that was a mix between Police Quest and a FPS. If only they did it right, instead of making a blatant shooter.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear the about the death of Darryl F. Gates... condolences go out to his family...

I thought SWAT and Police Quest IV were really good as well - I learned so much about SWAT and it was that game that gave me my fascination in the organization when I was in high school - reading books on SWAT, watching The Negotiator with my friend... There was no need to write about them being disappointing, especially if you look at how opinions change - Gaming in the Clinton Years anyone?

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-19-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
I'm sorry to hear the about the death of Darryl F. Gates... condolences go out to his family...

I thought SWAT and Police Quest IV were really good as well - I learned so much about SWAT and it was that game that gave me my fascination in the organization when I was in high school - reading books on SWAT, watching The Negotiator with my friend... There was no need to write about them being disappointing, especially if you look at how opinions change - Gaming in the Clinton Years anyone?
The games needed more drug use and knocking hoes down with a bat.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Absolutely. Honestly, SWAT offered something which no other SWAT game offered, and that was a mix between Police Quest and a FPS. If only they did it right, instead of making a blatant shooter.
Eh? Police Quest SWAT was an FMV game. Police Quest SWAT 2 was a strategy game. SWAT 3 and 4 were FPS but hardly a "blatant shooter" considering the strict tactical nature of those games. They were pretty much straight ripoffs of the first Rainbow Six.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Eh? Police Quest SWAT was an FMV game. Police Quest SWAT 2 was a strategy game. SWAT 3 and 4 were FPS but hardly a "blatant shooter" considering the strict tactical nature of those games. They were pretty much straight ripoffs of the first Rainbow Six.
You do realize the whole discussion is about Police Quest SWAT 1 right?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #9

Yes, which is why I have no idea what was behind the previously quoted post of yours. Best I figured you confused Police Quest SWAT and SWAT 3.

FPS and blatant shooter have zero to do with Police Quest SWAT.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, which is why I have no idea what was behind the previously quoted post of yours. Best I figured you confused Police Quest SWAT and SWAT 3.

FPS and blatant shooter have zero to do with Police Quest SWAT.
Well then, you do realize SWAT was a shooter too right?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #11

Police Quest SWAT was an FMV interactive movie....
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Police Quest SWAT was an FMV interactive movie....
Obviously you have no idea what a shooter is. A shooter is a type of game where you shoot objects....doesn't need to be fully interactive or a FPS. In SWAT, you shoot targets and threats on your missions. It relies on tactics and use of weapons to complete a mission, some in which requiring you to........SHOOT.

Its a shooter.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Obviously you have no idea what a shooter is. A shooter is a type of game where you shoot objects....doesn't need to be fully interactive or a FPS. In SWAT, you shoot targets and threats on your missions. It relies on tactics and use of weapons to complete a mission, some in which requiring you to........SHOOT.

Its a shooter.
Do you guys really want to turn this thread into an argument over semantics? I will say that SWAT has educational elements, strategy elements, FMV elements and shooter elements. The design of SWAT is overtly reliant on FMVs more than shooting (in my opinion) therefore I would think of the game as an FMV title over a shooter title.

I do see where you're coming from though, Monolith. However, if SWAT was strictly a shooter it would be more like this game. Although I can see where the similarities lie.

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-20-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Do you guys really want to turn this thread into an argument over semantics? I will say that SWAT has educational elements, strategy elements, FMV elements and shooter elements. The design of SWAT is overtly reliant on FMVs more than shooting (in my opinion) therefore I would think of the game as an FMV title over a shooter title.

I do see where you're coming from though, Monolith. However, if SWAT was strictly a shooter it would be more like this game. Although I can see where the similarities lie.
Agreed. The reason why I say its a shooter relies on the fact that the game trains you for quite a bit of time to shoot and fire correctly, for both semi-automatics, and rifles. It sure is no SWAT 3-4, but it definitely focuses quite a bit on shooting. Why? Because if you don't shoot, you die. lol Its part of SWAT. What do you expect a response from me when someone says I poorly chose my words to describe the game?

I just wish we got a new SWAT game that focused on the elements that the first game did. Less random incidences and more on a story arc and character development.

*sigh* I wish we got a new Police Quest game.

...oh and LOL at Crime Patrol. haha Now thats a shooting gallery. honestly, SWAT is almost exactly like that, just minus a lot of downtime.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #15

I'm sorry, but no matter how you decide to try and squirm into the definition, in no way does SWAT 1 fall into the category of shooter, never mind calling it a "blatant shooter".