You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General ~World Of Warcraft~just bought the game need info...thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

Default ~World Of Warcraft~just bought the game need info...thanks

ok I just bought the special edition package where it comes with World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade for $29.99

Now I have some questions...

*is both games just on 1 disc...that's all I found in the package....did I get played?

*is this game worth the online fee and how much does it cost monthly and is the 1st month really free?

*Is there a story to this game and the expansion packs or not? I like games with lots of story and characters with cut scenes and FMV's...does this game have those...

* Does this game support voice chat or just the keyboard?

*WHich game is the best and why? There is world of warcraft and then the 2 expansion packs...

*What is the best thing about this game? Example: story, characters, gameplay, graphics, musiq, etc.?

* Does this game have voice acting in it?

*how long does it take to beat this game?

*What can you compare this game 2 to give me a example of what it's like?

thanks and more info would be appreciated....

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-21-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Getting rid of smilies
Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Kis View Post
ok I just bought the special edition package where it comes with World of Warcraft and the Burning Crusade for $29.99

*is both games just on 1 disc...that's all I found in the package....did I get played?

*is this game worth the online fee and how much does it cost monthly and is the 1st month really free?

*Is there a story to this game and the expansion packs or not? I like games with lots of story and characters with cut scenes and FMV's...does this game have those...

oes this game support voice chat or just the keyboard?

*WHich game is the best and why? There is world of warcraft and then the 2 expansion packs...

*What is the best thing about this game? Example: story, characters, gameplay, graphics, musiq, etc.?

oes this game have voice acting in it?

.5 WOW is a MMORPG (massive multiplayer waste of time), not really an adventure, so this is probably not the best forum to ask these questions, but you're certainly welcome to.

1. I don't know. When I had WOW, it was 2 disks I think.

2. First month is free, and then $20 after that.

3. No. No. No. This game is "kill monster, level, repeat" with really nice graphics, lots of fun spell effects, and crazy amounts of monsters, and people playing with you while you play which makes the game really odd, because you're all trying to do the same things, so the villains you kill, just come back 10 minutes later. Makes no sense. Plus everyone is a "chosen one." There is an ongoing story that you can, kind of, follow - and it's fairly interesting in a cartoony fantasy way, but you won't ever real feel part of it.

4. It has voice chat. Leroy Jenkins would know.

5. They're all one huge massive game. I had the first two expansions when I played, and I thought they were pretty cool. I like the weird centaur like race that crashed on a spaceship (Burning Crusades).

6. It is addictive and I think really pretty. The aesthetics, while cartoony, are really well done - when you go to the elven city, it feels like an elvish city. Whoever was the art designer did a masterful job, and the world is incredibly seamless. Taking a griffon ride through the kingdoms is awesome!

It's very pretty - and it can be fun doing some of the stranger quests, or joining a guild with friends.

7. Yes. They talk.

8. YOU WILL NEVER BEAT THIS GAME. IT IS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE IT BEATS YOU.

9. Uh. Any other MMORPG. Everquest? Conan? D&D Online? Heroes Online? Pretty much all the really accessible features of all the previous MMORPGs wrapped up in one single package with a shiny bow.

I can't recommend enough staying away from this game. It doesn't ever end, there's no real tangible plot line, and the gameplay itself has no real value besides someone getting inside your head and never letting go. There is no real artistic value - besides admiring the art design - to the game, and no one should entertain themselves without thinking on some level for as long as this game demands you play it.

I think games should carry warnings on boxes similar to the parents label for addictive timesinks like these.

Nothing depresses me more than people with level gazillion characters, because i know how long it took them to get there, and i mourn for their real lives.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Adventure Dude =]

I played WoW for a couple years before I quit. So, I will do my best to explain it.

If you want the basics of WoW, it's a game where you choose what character you want to be. Different characters have different abilities. Hunter-uses a pet, Shaman-magic, Warrior-strong that uses big weapons. etc. Each character allows you to wear certain types of armor.

So, to break down the actual game play, quite simply you must complete quests that you pick up from various people and when you beat that quest and hand it in you get experience and depending on the quest, can choose a reward. The rewards can be armor for your character to help you get stronger to food that you can eat, or food you can give your pet etc. It depends. Some quests are also group quests which means the quest involves another person to help as it is to tough to do alone.

In turn the more experience you get the more you level up. The quests can consist of killing monsters and enemies to gathering a certain item. It varies. As you progress and level up, that unlocks different abilities for your character that enables you to fight tougher enemies that are higher levels.

You also can choose professions. These professions depending on what you choose can allow you to make potions, to craft armor and weapons to cooking and fishing. Very usual and fun.

To break down the levels part I was talking about- The original WoW leveled you to 60, but with each expansion, the level cap has raised. Burning Crusade leveled you up to 70 and the new expansion called Wrath of the Lich King levels you to 80. You must level to 80 to get anywhere in the game. Once you reach the level cap, that is where the game truly begins. (or so people say).

You can do 5 man instances where you and 5 people go to a certain area and kill bosses. The bosses drop items or as WoW calls it "loot". This loot can be armor and weapons. Once you have got better gear, you bump up to something called raids. It involves 20+ people that go to certain areas and beat various bosses. Much tougher, but the gear is top of the line.

Some people like end game content and others enjoy doing other things. You can get titles for your character that you can show off to collecting non fighting pets you can show off, etc.

So to sum it all up, the game is actually very fun. It's neat to see hundreds of people running around in a town. There is so much to do in the game.

There is 11.5 million people playing this game. It is absolutely huge.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2

Last edited by sTyLnK; 06-20-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: add more
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Adventure Dude =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Kis View Post

oes this game support voice chat or just the keyboard?

oes this game have voice acting in it?

1) I believe it is on dvds now so yes 1 disk is correct. They combined the the original game and the first expansion on 1 dvd.

2) The game is 20 dollars a month and worth the monthly fee if you really enjoy the game. Your first month is free as well when you start paying.

3) If you play the newest expansion, it does have a story and there are a few cut scenes as well.

4) It has voice chat. Keyboard and mouse is to play the game.

5) I described what WoW was in my previous post. Hopes you get the jist of it. =]

6) The game play is very fun and the music is exceptionally done. Every area or zone has different music.

7) It does have voice acting in the game.

8) You can't really beat the game, well you can up to a certain point, but Blizzard is always releasing new content so it's never ending.

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #5

You just made a biggest mistake of your life
Old 06-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #6
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
You just made a biggest mistake of your life
I think there's worse mistakes that you could make, but WOW is definitely not worth it. I don't see how a drug addiction is that much worse, although perhaps slightly less healthy.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I think there's worse mistakes that you could make, but WOW is definitely not worth it. I don't see how a drug addiction is that much worse, although perhaps slightly less healthy.
These guys are All right. It IS a great game, there IS a lot to do and it IS a massive addiction. I've kicked it TWICE!!!! I played from the day it came out which was the end of Dec 2004 and played very very hard core thru to around mid september 2005. That mean that i was doing 40 man raids (10 ppl or more working together) in Molten Core. This is what originally killed it for me. I was having to meet up with Americans at American times to ensure i got a spot in this group of 40 ppl and i think we only ever downed the first 2 bosses in that hell of a place before i ended up realizing i'd done all i was gonna be able to do (because i was being required to log on about 6 hours a night, 6 nights a week!!!! bullshit!) in the game and so i quit. Back at this time the game was PURELY for the hard core player. I'll quickly explain.

Gold was worth heaps because it was so hard to come by. 100 gold back then was the equivelant of about 10 thousand gold now. Back then to go into a 40 man molten core your previous raid training was upper black rock spire which was 15 ppl. AND you went straight into 40 man Molten core wearing rare items not epic items. (thats blues not purples)

I quit for about 14 months and stupidly went back some deal of time AFTER the burning crusade was released. For a while this was awesome for me because the game was still fairly hard core without requiring so much time. I could now raid a place called Karazhan (which quickly became my favorite thing to do in my own entire existance...sadly) with only 10 people!! And get epics out of it!! I also HAD epics before i even stepped in the door at Karazhan, infact i had more than half my gear as Epics (this was from a new system they'd introduced to "easy" the game up a bit and let all the little kids playing have some "purples" to walk around in.

Anyway to cut a long story short we cleared almost the entire "burning crusade" minus a few bosses in the Sunwell which was stupidly hard. Then Wrath of the Lich king came out and i quit within about 3 months realizing that it wasn't for me anymore because of various reasons but mainly because they'd just nuked the crap out of it and made it so bullshit easy to do anything. and now its so sad that i hear you can pay a fee to change alignments... what a load of crap.

anyway... you'll have SHIT loads, infact TOO MUCH fun leveling up. But once you hit the top level you may realize that the top level content is not for you. BUT it might be worth a try. Leveling up has now been completely nuked and it will not take you very long at all to hit level 80 (probably about 15 days in game time or something, took me 21 when i leveled my 2nd character to lvl70, but now its 80 and nuked even more) and you'll barely see any of the fun storyline content as you level up due to lack of low level people to play with.

But have fun and maybe give someone you trust access to the parental controls to set you some lockout times so you're not up to 4am EVERY morning playing.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
Master of time and space

I once played Ultima Online 24/7. After I year I basically experienced the same as the above poster and quit. That was ten years ago. I haven't touched a MMORPG since.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I once played Ultima Online 24/7. After I year I basically experienced the same as the above poster and quit. That was ten years ago. I haven't touched a MMORPG since.
Yeh, i dibbled in Ultima online. ONly a lack of a good internet connection stopped me playing that. Pity i didnt play it more and learn my lesson then.. MMORPG's are ground breaking stuff... and life breaking stuff if you dont monitor your useage heavily. And dont expect to play seriously if you DO monitor your usage..