You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #1

Default SAW: The game

Just SAW a preview of this title and it looked very promising! I did never see the movies, I thought they where cheap horror movies with to much gore going on. Maybe I was wrong?
The game however is - from what I could see - going to be a psycholigical thriller where you are trapped by the killer in an old asylum. You must solve all kinds of sick puzzles, traps and dilemma's the bad guy throws at you. Sounds good, doesn't it?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
I thought they where cheap horror movies with to much gore going on. Maybe I was wrong?
No, you were not. Except the first movie which was quite good.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #3

All Saw movies are excellent and it's no doubt the best modern horror franchise.

It's highly suggested that you see at least first two movies before you try the game because it takes place between them.

The gore in these movies is secondary element, the main theme is about characters, their decisions and how they behave in extraordinary circumstances.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #4

The thread got moved to general, so it's final that Saw is not an adventure?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Final? Hard to be final about a game that no one's played yet. But by all accounts I've heard, this has a strong survival horror element (being called the "spiritual successor to Silent Hill"). It certainly wouldn't be the first to include puzzles, so that alone doesn't really make it stand apart.

If the emphasis ends up being way more of the adventure side, we can move it back/discuss it there later. But I'd be highly surprised.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Final? Hard to be final about a game that no one's played yet. But by all accounts I've heard, this has a strong survival horror element (being called the "spiritual successor to Silent Hill"). It certainly wouldn't be the first to include puzzles, so that alone doesn't really make it stand apart.

If the emphasis ends up being way more of the adventure side, we can move it back/discuss it there later. But I'd be highly surprised.
Well Survival Horror grew from Adventure gaming roots, so one can consider it an adventure game.

Still, as I stated before, SAW is an ingenious series. Apart from the disgusting gore, the store does involve a deep backstory.

Based on what I played at E3, the game is similar to the Escape the Room games. If you consider those games apart of the adventure genre, then this game definitely is an adventure game. Unlike most Survival Horror games, this game has a strong suit in puzzles and escaping the room/trap.

Can't wait to see how this game pans out.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Well Survival Horror grew from Adventure gaming roots, so one can consider it an adventure game.
You can, but as a site, we don't. We'll see if this game is different from the norm, however.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
You can, but as a site, we don't. We'll see if this game is different from the norm, however.
Read the second half of my post in which was recently edited.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
No, you were not. Except the first movie which was quite good.
Totally agree. I saw about half of Saw 2 and a third of Saw 3, and that was enough to know that the series just became about the gore, and the "fun" ways people can die. I guess I'm not enough of a sociopath to enjoy watching people dieing in strange ways. The 1st Saw movie had real and present plot and psychological aspects to the acts taking place.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Banned User

I like how people enjoyed the only SAW film which didn't really have a story.

« BoneTown | Yakuza 3 »