You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Far Cry, Sands Of Time, Rayman, Ghost Recon.. for free?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
capsized.

Default Far Cry, Sands Of Time, Rayman, Ghost Recon.. for free?

http://www.fileplanet.com/180411/180...d-Supported%5D

http://www.fileplanet.com/180410/180...d-Supported%5D

http://www.fileplanet.com/180428/180...d-Supported%5D

http://www.fileplanet.com/180412/180000/fileinfo/Tom-Clancy's-Ghost-Recon-Full-Game-%5BFree-Game---Ad-Supported%5D

Quote:
This free game is supported by in-game advertising.
Does anybody know what's up with that?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
delusions of adequacy

You will need an Ubi.com account and you must live in the U.S. to play the game... (so says the web for Far Cry).

Quote:
"This game incorporates technology of Massive Incorporated ("Massive") that enables certain in-game objects (eg advertising) to be temporarily uploaded to your pc or console and replaced in-game while connected online."
It seems logical. I find it hard to believe they would release even such elderly titles as free with mere static advertising (fixed product placement/billboards). I would imagine its net connection required (to monitor what in game ads you're looking at, how long and to allow dynamic updating of new ads).

Its about the only way I'd ever swallow in game advertising (free to download). I would NEVER accept in game advertising in a fully paid for title, I don't care how fucking clever designers feel they are about implementing it.

Its pretty fucking awful that Fileplanet is suggesting you download a few thousand megabytes of data off your own bandwidth without a little prior information on how the in game advertising works and effects your computer (its effectively starforce for ads...)
Old 09-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post

Its about the only way I'd ever swallow in game advertising (free to download). I would NEVER accept in game advertising in a fully paid for title, I don't care how fucking clever designers feel they are about implementing it.
I take it you didn't buy a copy of Battlefield 2142 then?

Quote:
Its pretty fucking awful that Fileplanet is suggesting you download a few thousand megabytes of data off your own bandwidth without a little prior information on how the in game advertising works and effects your computer (its effectively starforce for ads...)
True, in the meantime I found some posts on another board discussing this (in German). One guy downloaded POP:Sands Of Time and only has to endure occasional MC Donald's advertising, like each and every time the loading screen pops up. The actual game seems to be free of advertising though. I think I'll give that game a shot too, wanted to take a look at it anyway.

And, yeah, speaking about German guys being able to play this: All he needed to do was to change his account on Ubi.com, namely his location from Germany to the United States.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
DAVE

"The prince trustily held his sword, prepared to face the monsters the sands of time spawned in front of him, hoping he would have enough energy left in him to face his foes, he took another bite of his trusty McBacon..."

No, doesn't work for me.
I actually managed to get SoT for free on a magazine, so I'm quite glad for that
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Adventure Game Researcher

Interesting, the in game advertising topic is coming up in several areas....i for one will NEVER support it, there is enough such drivel on TV.

Far Cry deserves to be played without such interference, it is an awesome game and has a great community supporting it with mods equal to or even in some cases superior to the original (Matto 4)

Sands of Time, a lovely game, but beware a sequence in the intro section before you even get to the saveable game that I have NOT been able to get past, the Prince has to jump back and forth UP a narrow chute by a huge head and the PC controls will not allow him to make the climb, even on the user forum on ubi others have had the same problem, with a consol no prob but with a PC i have been trying for three months to make it up that head, and so far not a peep out of UBI technical staff who i finally asked to contact. will see what happens, but the game itself is really beautifully done even if the leaping about mario bros style is a bit overdone, i dont know why people cant make a adventure exploration game instead of a fingers gynmastics exercise....but this is a nice title.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 09-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Around here, these games can be picked up for $10 or less on the bargain shelves. I'll pay the $10 bucks just so I can have a hard copy instead of seeing out of place in game ads or whatever
Old 09-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I... um... lied about my nationality and tried Rayman Raving Rabbids.

The adverts are really annoying. After every mini game you have to watch some crazy advert for McDonald's, which gets really tiresome when some of the minigames take about twenty seconds to try (read: fail).

If I actually wanted to play this seriously I'd go out and buy a copy. Particularly since it doesn't even cost very much now.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #8
Roman5

If these games are effectively free along with the adverts, would it then be fair to say that the same games could be legally downloaded from torrents?

Old 09-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #9
In an evening of July...

If you download the same games (that is, with ads included) it shouldn't be a problem. I've just seen them being redistributed on gamershell.com.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:52 AM   #10
capsized.

^ Only if you torrent the games avec la in-game advertising, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I... um... lied about my nationality and tried Rayman Raving Rabbids.

The adverts are really annoying. After every mini game you have to watch some crazy advert for McDonald's, which gets really tiresome when some of the minigames take about twenty seconds to try (read: fail).

Heh, RR is effectively a collection of fun mini-games, no? I'd think that allows for a lot more advertising options than all the other games combined... Still haven't gone for POP, but Endosanity's right: None of these games cost more than 10 bucks anyway.

Ok, now for another free game WITHOUT advertising involved: To celebrate Command&Conquer's 12th birthday along with gamers from around the globe, EA released Command&Conquer Gold for free this weekend! Check out http://www.commandandconquer.com/ if you wanna.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #11
Coltrane

Now you can't activate the games anymore. I was looking forward to play Prince of Persia.
Currently reading: The Name of the Rose