You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Best game intros ever?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default Best game intros ever?

Which games had the best opening title sequences? Which had you salivating from the moment the first screen appeared (even if they were later disappointing)

For example, the start of Zak McKracken was very simple but (for me) powerful. You see planet earth as seen from Mars - it sets the scene for aliens watching us with envy (as in War of the Worlds). Then the dream sequence introduces the main themes, conflicts, and goals. And of course Monkey Island, which starts with... an atmospheric island, and the immortal line "I want to be a pirate!"

What intros do you consider to be classics? Which left you eager for more? And which are so bad they made you close the game before it even started?
Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #2

WarCraft III. Simply some of the best CG Intros/cutscenes I've ever seen.
StarLancer and FreeLancer. I'm a sucka for Space opera.
WildArms, back then it was the best anime intro there was with exellent soundtrack.

there are some more but I guess those three are enough for today

I bought once a japanese render adventure for the Saturn. After a while i was done with the game only to realize that what I thought was the longest and lamest intro with the 2 or 3 clicks i made was actually the whole game.

Remember: "You can pick your Friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose."
Old 07-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Fallout, awesomest game intro evah, IMHO.

A kitschy pseudo-50s Vault advertisement segues into a disturbing "keeping the peace" news segment, then to retro-future commercials. We pan out to seeing we're watching this on a TV in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, all with the Ink Spots' "Maybe" playing in the background.

And then, Ron Perlman's classic "War. War never changes." narration history. I honestly can't think of any other game's intro that got me so deeply into the mood of a game before it had even begun.

But there's plenty of other good ones. Off the top of my head, I'd also like to give props to the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis intro. Aside from being comical and having the "Indy" feel to it, the fact that it was playable was also entertaining.

I also liked the intro to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Harlan Ellison makes for one psychotically creepy computer voice.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 07-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
is not wierd

Jeysie beat me to the punch.
Fallout and Fallout 2 both had really memorable intros.
World of Warcraft's intro was stunning (Blizzard knows CG, that's for sure)
Half-Life 2 with G-Man talking to you in that creepy way he does and looking gorgeous
Final Fantasy VIII, that fight between Squall and Leon set to some operatic score; gave me chills when I was young.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Master of time and space

These really caught my attention:
Fallout 1 & 2
Still Life
Wing Commander 3 & 4
Myst 4
The Dig
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
is not wierd

BGII: SoA had a cool, creepy intro now that I think about it.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #7

I thought The Dig intro was way too long, and long-winded. It included a lot of extraneous stuff, like the relationships between the characters, that should have been left to be worked into the story.

Yes, I agree with Monkey Island having one of the best intros. From a writer's point of view, it's all done perfectly -- introduces the island setting, gives some insight into the main character (not just his motivation, but his naivete), and gives a feel for the humour of the game, all in a few lines. And it not only gives a great big obvious "what to do next" instruction (go to the bar), but a more subtle hint of something you need to figure out later (return to this spot in order to reach other locations).

Starship Titanic is good, I think. You can mess around for a bit, getting the feel of the controls, and then WHUMP, an enormous spaceship lands on top of your house. Talk about getting dropped into the deep end.

To get away from adventure games, Cannon Fodder has probably my favourite intro of all time. Not just the song (which so many people never got the irony of) but the silly photo credits. How many credit sequences have you ever bothered to watch from beginning to end?

Dungeon Keeper's intro is perpetually amusing, too, and sets up the right feel for the gameplay to come.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #8

I'll echo Wild Arms and the Wing Commander games.

Other intros:
UFO: Enemy Unknown / X-Com: UFO Defense
Soul Edge
Sakura Taisen
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
Ghost in the Shell
Eretzvaju
MechWarrior 2
System Shock
Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
Psychonaut

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2

Day of the Tentacle

Shenmue

Farenheit
Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Shadow of the Templars with the crow flying over Paris.
Diablo II, with the old man dragging his huge sword into the inn.

I concur with Fallout, WarCraft III, and Half-Life 2.

Last edited by Aj_; 07-16-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #11

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is pretty cool.
Also, there's Xcom1, FF8 and FF12 (Even though the rest of that game is crap).
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #12
capsized.

The awesome thing about Fallout is that it is depicting the picture of the future of what 50s people thought or feared (Nuclear threat! The Red Scare! And Everything!) the future would look like. How cool an idea is that?

Duck and cover.

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-15-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #13
handsome

The most memorable to me are:

Final Fantasy 6 (snes version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMWp1oLoA0 - a classic imo.
ProEvolution Soccer 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-syEH1bviY - The best song and intro off all of the PES games.
Zone Of The Enders: 2nd Runner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASrKhpvU8c - LOVE the music, kinda long but really cool ..Oh man! Jehuty, Vic Viper, Anubis... i miss this game
Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
I turn novels into games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
The most memorable to me are:

Final Fantasy 6 (snes version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMWp1oLoA0 - a classic imo.
ProEvolution Soccer 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-syEH1bviY - The best song and intro off all of the PES games.
Zone Of The Enders: 2nd Runner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZASrKhpvU8c - LOVE the music, kinda long but really cool ..Oh man! Jehuty, Vic Viper, Anubis... i miss this game
Thanks - the YouTube clips are great! I really appreciate that.

Oh, and I agree with you about Enders. Never played it, and I've never been interested in fighting games, but watching that intro I can see why they're so popular!
Old 07-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #15

Final Fantasy VIII - possibly the best intro of any medium. My arm hairs still flick when I watch it (I purposely don't watch often) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZ2ibvZb2Q

Broken Sword: Knights Templer - Stobbarts first lines pretty much promise everything that the word 'adventure' stands for. The music, oh the music!

Resident Evil 2 - Back when it was first released, no-one had seen anything like it. Like straight out of a big, no, the biggest action-horror movie budget. This FMV doesn't show the bit with the truck blowing up though - http://youtube.com/watch?v=L6BmnJ3Utts

Phantasy Star Online - for those who played it on the Dreamcast, the music just set my friends and I in awe. A ship preparing to land, a mysterious, invisible monster creates an explosion the size of America, every living human (and other) mysteriously disappearing - http://youtube.com/watch?v=vGYecfdEh2w

Omega Boost - More games should use live actors. The FMVs in this game must have cost twice the rest of the production. The UK version with Dreamer by Cast is the superior by a mile. - http://youtube.com/watch?v=iHNSKhjLJ5k
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #16
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I agree with Jeysie, Spiwak, and half the posters in this thread, Fallout's intro is the best, hands down.

Discworld Noir's intro is excellent as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #17
Freeware Co-ordinator

Full Throttle. (subtitled in Spanish but English vocals and a good recording) Ben's gritty opening monologue. A little bit of an opening exposition scene in the limo then you hear the rock intro starting to get louder and see the biker gang coming up from behind in the back window. Then THUD! Ben's riding across the roof, hits the hideous cherub on the front perfectly in time with the music.

As well as the rocking opening number (I liked the soundtrack of this game so much I bought the album containing most of it Bone to Pick by The Gone Jackals) you also get a feel of motion with the moving reflections on the chrome and Ben's hair and jacket moving in the wind.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 AM   #18
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy View Post
Thanks - the YouTube clips are great! I really appreciate that.

Oh, and I agree with you about Enders. Never played it, and I've never been interested in fighting games, but watching that intro I can see why they're so popular!
Your welcome . I also never been interested in fighting games but this one is diferent, dont know why... but i really liked it (the story could be much better). A ZOE 3 for PS3 would be great .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Resident Evil 2 - Back when it was first released, no-one had seen anything like it. Like straight out of a big, no, the biggest action-horror movie budget. This FMV doesn't show the bit with the truck blowing up though
That's true back then this was the best.
____

I think Final Fantasy X has the best intro of all FF's (and ive also seen FF VIII intro when i was a kid, before it was released) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ_52...elated&search=
Streets of Rage - Nice and Simple i miss that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikFC...elated&search=
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 AM   #19
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

These are my favorite intros:

Megarace
Syndicate
Under A Killing Moon
Diablo 2 (I actually love all Blizzard intros and cutscenes)
Gabriel Knight I
Wing Commander III, IV, V
Curse of Monkey Island
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

My vote go to fallout as well...

However, the most spectacular game intro I have seen for its time were for the old amiga game "Superfrog", that had an animated cartoon on an entire disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJvXlrUB3fA

Last edited by JemyM; 07-16-2007 at 07:56 AM.