You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #1

Default PS3 UK Launch

Quote:
Chart-Track estimates 165,000 units sold in two days

Chart-Track has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that UK consumers snapped up 165,000 PlayStation 3 units in the two days following the console's launch.

That makes PS3 the fastest-selling home console in history, beating the Wii - which shifted 105,000 units during its launch weekend - and Xbox 360, with 70,000 sold.

Both Nintendo and Microsoft struggled to meet demand with their consoles, leading to stock shortages - but Sony previously stated that the UK would get around 220,000 of the 1 million PS3 units allocated to Europe for launch.

Overall, the PlayStation 3 is the second fastest-selling piece of games hardware in history. That record still belongs to PlayStation Portable, with 185,000 units sold during the handheld's launch weekend.

PlayStation 3 launched in Europe on Friday, priced at GBP 425 / EUR 599 for the 60GB model.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23781

Guess that launch didn't go as bad as people were saying.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Its funny, I convinced a girl that works at GAME(tm) that she made a mistake buying a PS3. lol. I told her that Devil May Cry 4 is nolonger exclusive, and she flipped to her co worker: "Why did you not stop me wasting 500£?!!", I laughed myself silly, and I mentioned Final Fantasy 13 is still in discussion of being exclusive. She wasen't happy.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Its funny, I convinced a girl that works at GAME(tm) that she made a mistake buying a PS3. lol. I told her that Devil May Cry 4 is nolonger exclusive, and she flipped to her co worker: "Why did you not stop me wasting 500£?!!", I laughed myself silly, and I mentioned Final Fantasy 13 is still in discussion of being exclusive. She wasen't happy.
Why did devil may cry 4 not being exclusive make her angry? It's still coming to PS3, as is FF13..I don't understand people, why do exclusives matter as long as you're getting the game you want to play, shouldn't others be able to enjoy them as well? It's also important to note that some xbox exclusives are going to be coming to PS as well. I know i would have never thought a ninja gaiden game would see the PS3..other exclusives like lost oddyssy will also be coming over. Overall the only exclusives that really exist are first party exclusives, and this is for both sides. For me, games like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Jack and Daxter, Socom, Gran Turismo, twisted metal, SOC, and being a huge baseball fan their MLB series, is what made me a PS3 owner. I'm sure other people have different prefrences and that's totally fine with me, people just need to play what THEY want and enjoy themselves. The constant Sony bashing is pretty lame IMO, if you don't like a console, then don't purchase it, no need to ridicule the ones who do.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Psychonaut

The 360 and Wii would have sold that amount if they had the stock.

When I was in Game on Friday two people asked about stock of the Wii and nobody (apart from me) asked about the PS3. It didn't look like it was flying of he shelves and there still seems to be plenty of stock.

Either Sony got the stock correct and managed to exceed demand, unlike the other two who sold out, or nobody is buying.

This report seems to suggest the former.

It is a fantastic piece of kit and one that shouldn't be discounted. Sony has the most diverse range of games out for it's PS and PS2. MGS4 and FF13 are still exclusives atm (that might change), The next God of War game and whateveer the makers of ICO make next will probably be exclusive.

Launch is a tad unimpressive due to most of the games being on the 360, but Motorstorm is amazing fun and Resistance isn't bad if a tad formulaic.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The 360 and Wii would have sold that amount if they had the stock.

When I was in Game on Friday two people asked about stock of the Wii and nobody (apart from me) asked about the PS3. It didn't look like it was flying of he shelves and there still seems to be plenty of stock.

Either Sony got the stock correct and managed to exceed demand, unlike the other two who sold out, or nobody is buying.

This report seems to suggest the former.

It is a fantastic piece of kit and one that shouldn't be discounted. Sony has the most diverse range of games out for it's PS and PS2. MGS4 and FF13 are still exclusives atm (that might change), The next God of War game and whateveer the makers of ICO make next will probably be exclusive.

Launch is a tad unimpressive due to most of the games being on the 360, but Motorstorm is amazing fun and Resistance isn't bad if a tad formulaic.
If a Wii, 360 and PS3 living under the same TV/roof doesn't promote world [console] peace, I don't know what will.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Hitch-Hiker

People say good on Sony for getting more consoles out there than expected. Has everyone fergot how long it was delayed for Europe?! If the 360 or Wii were delayed that long and then released with shit loads of units of course they would sell.

Every time I walk into a game store someone asks about a Wii or buys a DSlite. No lie.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaadThaGoat View Post
Why did devil may cry 4 not being exclusive make her angry? It's still coming to PS3, as is FF13..I don't understand people, why do exclusives matter as long as you're getting the game you want to play, shouldn't others be able to enjoy them as well? It's also important to note that some xbox exclusives are going to be coming to PS as well. I know i would have never thought a ninja gaiden game would see the PS3..other exclusives like lost oddyssy will also be coming over. Overall the only exclusives that really exist are first party exclusives, and this is for both sides. For me, games like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Jack and Daxter, Socom, Gran Turismo, twisted metal, SOC, and being a huge baseball fan their MLB series, is what made me a PS3 owner. I'm sure other people have different prefrences and that's totally fine with me, people just need to play what THEY want and enjoy themselves. The constant Sony bashing is pretty lame IMO, if you don't like a console, then don't purchase it, no need to ridicule the ones who do.
To me, the only Sony "Exclusive" I ever care about is God of War & Metal Gear, the rest of the racers and Socom shooters dont interest me at all. Microsoft first party exclusives (some maybe future PC ports) though I'm very interested in:

Bullet Witch
Fable 2
Dead or Alive 4
Dead Rising
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Kameo: Elements of Power
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Ninety-Nine Nights
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata

I'm not starting a piss party again over PS3 vs. Xbox 360. I'm just way more into what Microsoft has to offer. Now considering I sold my 360 for my beautiful Wii, I plan to get a 360 again in the future (maybe a black one).

The PS3 has become the Xbox of the last generation, Sony never had the edge with graphics, now all of a sudden they want to be the best of the best. Its never about graphics and the Wii is a perfect example, its all about quality games, so we'll see what NEW first party games they will make not just sequels.

_

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
To me, the only Sony "Exclusive" I ever care about is God of War & Metal Gear, the rest of the racers and Socom shooters dont interest me at all. Microsoft first party exclusives (some maybe future PC ports) though I'm very interested in:

Bullet Witch
Fable 2
Dead or Alive 4
Dead Rising
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Ninety-Nine Nights
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata

I'm not starting a piss party again over PS3 vs. Xbox 360. I'm just way more into what Microsoft has to offer. Now considering I sold my 360 for my beautiful Wii, I plan to get a 360 again in the future (maybe a black one).

The PS3 has become the Xbox of the last generation, Sony never had the edge with graphics, now all of a sudden they want to be the best of the best. Its never about graphics and the Wii is a perfect example, its all about quality games, so we'll see what NEW first party games they will make not just sequels.
Well Sony has a pretty cool first party line-up as well.

Lair
God of War 3
Next-gen ICO developer game
Killzone 2 (if it is any good )
Resistance Fall of Man
Next-gen ratchet and clank
the naughty dog game
Heavenly Sword
Lair
Warhawk
Motorstorm
Level 5 RPG

Not to mention all the games we don't know about yet. As you can see, this list is not too shabby. Most of these games are not Socom or traditional racers. Sony is famous for the diversity they provide in their lineup, and they do take chances like when they published ICO which sold poorly, and then they went on and published Shadow of the Collosus.

I do like some of the XBOX 360 exclusives as well like Mass Effect, Gears of War, Alan Wake and Blue Dragon, but discounting Sony's offerings completely is not fair.

Firefox rules
Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:

Bullet Witch
Fable 2
Dead or Alive 4
Dead Rising
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Ninety-Nine Nights
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Piñata

Bullet Witch, Dead or Alive, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet are not first party exclusives...there is a chance they will all go multi platform in the future. Mostly Lost Planet and Dead Rising, capcom is going to do all it can this gen to make sure it doesn't put all it's eggs in one basket.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaadThaGoat View Post
Bullet Witch, Dead or Alive, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet are not first party exclusives...there is a chance they will all go multi platform in the future. Mostly Lost Planet and Dead Rising, capcom is going to do all it can this gen to make sure it doesn't put all it's eggs in one basket.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74604

Dead Rising and Lost Planet will remain Xbox 360 Exclusive says Capcom.

_

Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
gin soaked boy

Hasn't Mel just closed the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 thread?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #12
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Sony sure has some good spin doctors... It's easy to sell more than when the 360 and Wii were released since they were understock. The PS3 was delayed just to make sure they had enough for the release...

It's still in stock everywhere, how is that a good thing?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Hasn't Mel just closed the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 thread?
Indeed she has, and this new thread is on a very tight leash. Let's say that Tanukitsune's post got this thread its final warning.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Lovable rogue

Whatever happened to the comedy boomerang controller?

Up until launch, whenever I saw pictures of the PS3 this monstrosity was sitting next to it:

But now when I see the Sixaxis on websites, it looks almost identical to the PS2 controller.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

I thought that controller was funky. I was dissapointed that they made it look just like the PS1 & 2 controllers.

_

Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Everyone in THE INTERNET apparently laughed at the bumerang thingy, then they thought that they should do something else and they just made the PS2 pad again, but without the rumble features, but I guess those are going to be back again soon? Didn't Sony cut a deal with the rumble firm just recently?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 03-31-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #17

Yeah, they did.

Anyway, here's a list for PS3 exclusives I found posted by deem on Eurogamer forums:

Sony published titles
Heavenly Sword (Ninja Theory+Cambridge Studio)
Everybody's Golf (SCEJ)
Singstar (London Studio)
Home (London Studio)
Warhawk (Incognito+SCEA)
LittleBigPlanet (Media Molecule+SCEE)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Naughty Dog+SCEA)
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (Insomniac+SCEA)
Getaway (London Studio)
8 Days Later (London Studio)
White Knight Story (Level 5+SCEI)
Folks Soul (Gaia+SCEI)
Lair (SCEA+Factor 5)
God of War 3 (SCEA)
The Eye of Judgment (SCEJ)
Afrika (SCEI+Rhino Studios)
Killzone (SCEE+Guerilla)
Gran Turismo 5 (Polyphony Digital)
Motorstorm (SCEE+Evolution Studios)
Formula 1 Championship Edition (Liverpool Studio)
Resistance: Fall of Man (SCEA+Insomniac)
Genji: Days Of The Blade (SCEI+Game Republic)
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SOE)

Externally published titles
Metal Gear Solid 4 (Konami)
Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix)
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Square Enix)
Gundam Musou (Namco)
Tekken 6 (Namco)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Team Ninja @ Tecmo)
Wangan Midnight (Genki)
Coded Arms: Assault (Konami)
Way of the Samurai 3 (Spike+Acquire)
Ni-Oh (KOEI)
The Wall (World Forge, bound to go 360 as well)
Professional Baseball Spirits 4 (Konami)
Mah-jong Fight Club (Konami)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Namco)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Sega, fantastic semisequel exclusive)
Ridge Racer 7 (Namco, another semisequel exclusive)

Rumoured titles
Brave Arms (Cellius, Namco+Sony)
Chain Limit (Cellius, Namco+Sony)
Second Season 01 (Cellius, Namco+Sony)
Ico 3 (SCEJ)
Locoroco (SCEJ)
Wipeout (Studio Liverpool)
Destruction Derby (Studio Liverpool)
Sly Raccoon (Suckerpunch)
Siren PS3 (SCEJ)
Some Monkey Title (SCEJ)
Socom (Zipper Interactive+SCEA)
Some Samurai Title (Genki)
My Summer Holiday 3 (SCEJ)
Strategy RPG (NIS America 2008 title)
Mercenary/Spy MMO (SOE, PC+PS3)
Whimsical MMO (SOE,PC+PS3)
Time Crisis 4 (Namco)
Eyedentify (SCEE, last heard from at E3 2005)

Downloadables
flOw (SCEA+That Game Company)
Calling All Cars (SCEA)
Super Rub a Dub (SCEE)
Lemmings (SCEE+Team 17)
Blast Factor (SCEA+Bluepoint Games)
Go! Sudoku (SCEI+Sumo Digital)
Go! Puzzle (SCEI)
3+ Downloadable Eyetoy Titles (London Studio)
Pixel Junk (Q Games, not Q Entertainment)
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (Namco)
Gripshift (SCEE+Sidhe Interactive)
Cash Guns Chaos (SOE)
Gran Turismo HD (Polyphony)

Not all are set in stone, but it shows you how the PS3 isn't exactly lacking in exclusives.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #18
gin soaked boy

It's not lacking in exclusives, it just has the least of them.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Is Singstar for the PS3 actually announced? I guess I just figured that they'd try to put less focus on the casual stuff on the PS3. Leave that to the superbly priced PS2.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #20

Singstar has been confirmed for a while now.

And how is it that the PS3 has less exclusives than any other console?