You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Command & Conquer 3 demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Command & Conquer 3 demo

EA's continuation to the C&C franchise is getting closer to release and yesterday the demo was released.

The demo contains one tutorial mission, two single-player missions featuring live action video sequences, one skirmish map with three different difficulty settings, and one trailer featuring Tricia Helfer, Grace Park, Michael Ironside.

Is it hot or not, discuss.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/1023...rium+Wars+Demo
http://www.gamershell.com/news/36615.html
http://peliplaneetta.net/tiedostot/p...otapelit/5721/
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
merely human

Looks to be I'll wait for the X360 demo (if one is released). Thanks for the heads up.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-27-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
capsized.

I made a screenshot. Seriously though( ), sometimes it's funny how 3D games start looking better than their 2D predecessors. Apparently the system requirements are pretty cool, maybe I'll even download it. Although its predecessor "Tiberian Sun" was a little bit on the dull site, I've never been that big a C&C junkie, and the gameplay contained in that 1,2 gig file is bound to be a little bit too similar to my beloved Warcraft3. Which I'm still playing. If only there was a multiplayer option, so that we could play against each other...

Those "Red Alert" sessions via two linked PCs ten years (:eek: ) ago kicked ass.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #4

Just played it. Great first impressions.

It's very old-school, it plays exactly like the others C&C (fast, fast, fast), I think, I skipped the tutorial and had no problems with it. (nothing like Company of Heroes for example).

It has good graphics and unlike Supreme Commander (which was a huge disappointment) it runs very well on my average machine, of course it doesn't have the scale of Supreme!

The missions are very easy, the second mission has Mammoth tanks (with rail-gun) that are extremely over-powered compared to the NOD defenses... With 8 tanks I completely destroyed the base, only loosing one.

And of course live action videos with poor acting!!! Michael Ironside (too bad it isn't his Starship Troopers charecter), and Cameron from Dr. House shows up in a window during the missions to distract you.

Just looked in Imdb - Sawyer from Lost, two girls from Battlestar, Billy Dee Willliams - great cast. I wonder who is the obligatory NOD lingerie hottie

Anyway, I liked it, one thing I wonder is how is it going to be playable with a X360 controller, the game is really fast...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Hey the game felt really good. It's got the good old C&C feeling.

And the cutscenes are truly back, it's great to see Sam Fisher Michael Ironside and especially KANE in the FMV's.

This game might actually become a must buy game for me.

I don't remember if Tiberian Sun had also that configuration for the mouse that right click you move the troops and left click you deselect the troops. It felt really backwards and kind of annoying as I've always been really used to it being the other way around.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post
It's very old-school, it plays exactly like the others C&C (fast, fast, fast), I think, I skipped the tutorial and had no problems with it. (nothing like Company of Heroes for example).
Actually, up until Red Alert 2, no C&C game has had particularly fast gameplay (I'm replaying them at the moment and Tiberian Sun is killing me with its slow pace).
Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Actually, up until Red Alert 2, no C&C game has had particularly fast gameplay (I'm replaying them at the moment and Tiberian Sun is killing me with its slow pace).
Ops, I don't play them in a lot years, guess I got confused I didn't play Tiberian Sun and Generals...

Funny thing, today I almost bought the 10th anniversary collection at the store, just because of the demo, but it was a bit pricey...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I also installed the demo and was truly impressed with the "old skool" C&C feeling. The game ran perfectly in ultra quality on my P4 (2.8Ghz with a 6600GT). I think this game is going to be pretty big when it hits the stores!

BTW, did you guys also get a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling when you saw the FMV cutscenes? I took me back to the good old days when FMV was hot: Wing Commander series, Privateer 2, Phantasmagoria I & II, Beast Within, Black Dahlia, C&C series etc etc...

Do you think that the interest in FMV will be renewed when/if this game is a hit?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:14 AM   #9
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Do you think that the interest in FMV will be renewed when/if this game is a hit?
No. And besides, I don't see it becoming such a huge hit, but we'll see.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
The Reggienator

To me, FMV in general was always crap, but C&C series made it with such a campy attitude, and Joe D Kucan is there as Kane so it's impossible not to like the C&C FMV cutscenes.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
I hope so! I want to see Red Alert 3! The 3rd version of Hell march - the best videos

I played a little more, I may have to get this game... Plus there are some pre-order offers hard to resist :

Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
I hope so! I want to see Red Alert 3! The 3rd version of Hell march - the best videos

I played a little more, I may have to get this game... Plus there are some pre-order offers hard to resist :
Were do I pre-order it from to get that shirt?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
Were do I pre-order it from to get that shirt?
Gameplay:

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/...ee_nod_t-shirt

Just found another site (seems to be a different shirt): Game

http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.as...405&mid=330104
Old 03-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
eXo

Quote:

I bet the back of that damned shirt is covered in company logos, EA, westwood, probably even bloody vista. All game shirts seem to have great designs ruined by a massive amount of sponsor/company logos.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
The Reggienator

Well not likely Westwood, because that company doesn't exist anymore.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
merely human

C&C 3 Censored For Germany | Computer & Video Games

Tuesday 13-Mar-2007 1:08 PM EA tones down RTS violence for our German friends

Quote:
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars has been toned down for the German audience, Electronic Arts revealed to CVG this morning.

To abide with the ultra-strict ratings laws, the Nod suicide bombers erm, won't actually commit suicide. Instead the bomb-strapped Fanatic unit will apparently drop off his package and then scuttle off to safety, leaving the battlefield clear of limbs and nasty terrorist entrails. But that's ok.

It's not the first time violent videogames have had to be re-tinkered for the region ; '97 racer Carmageddon had its pedestrians changed to zombies and Gears of War was cancelled entirely.

C&C3's developers at EA assure us that the German censoring will have no affect on inter-version balancing and that the Fanatic switch is "purely an animation change".

Tiberium Wars is out for PC, suicides and all, on March 30. As for the 360 version, look for our hands-on impressions later this week.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #17
capsized.

Yup, I remember the soldiers in the C&C games not being soldiers at all. But robots bleeding oil (appropriate new sound FX included and all!). I think even the manual briefly tried to explain why those wars were fought by robots entirelly.

Still, at least big tatas aren't cut out of games and TV programs. Censorship's a fascinating topic for sure. And in most cases just annoying to no end, but that's another story. For example, in the US it's the other way round, no? Hell, no sex, but violence: "Yes, please"!

Last edited by samIamsad; 03-13-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 AM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Yup, I remember the soldiers in the C&C games not being soldiers at all. But robots bleeding oil (appropriate new sound FX included and all!). I think even the manual briefly tried to explain why those wars were fought by robots entirelly.

Still, at least big tatas aren't cut out of games and TV programs. Censorship's a fascinating topic for sure. And in most cases just annoying to no end, but that's another story. For example, in the US it's the other way round, no? Hell, no sex, but violence: "Yes, please"!
Germans like sex and no violence. Visa versa for the US.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #19
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Germans like sex and no violence.
I thought they like beer!

Quote:
Visa versa for the US.
Except Ron Jeremy. Erm...

... multiplayer demo, huh, EA? I'd like to game you. All of you.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #20
capsized.

Cool review on Eurogamer.

Quote:
You command, usually by drawing a big rectangle around everything on screen, and then you conquer, usually by then right-clicking on an enemy power station so their defences run out of juice and you can then kill everything else. Things explode prettily, the game announces that a few of your units have been promoted, and you feel like you've done something clever, even though you really haven't.

Then, the inevitable lone assassin level. You know the drill - comb carefully around an enemy-filled map, and if she dies it's game over instantly. How terribly depressing. Except this lone assassin can kill forty men in less time than it takes me to blink. She's a one-woman genocide machine and, actually, it's hilarious. No longer creeping but now an unstoppable force laying waste to everything in sight, that was when I understood C&C3. It's not playing for laughs, as such, but it is playing for pure entertainment. The cheap-looking cut-scenes, featuring constant soap opera backstabbing and Sawyer from Lost mentioning male genitalia once too often, the total obviousness of how to win, the fact that a bunch of tiny men can somehow kill a towering alien tripod - don't worry about it. After the seriousness and amorality of Generals, C&C has identified what really makes it it. It's got the joke that its forerunners didn't even realise they were telling.

Seems to be very close to its roots, cheesy videos included and all. "Red Alert's" Stalin double will never be forgotten. Hm, this made me interested in the demo, but it's so BIG.