You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Game Release - Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 AM   #21
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface

Reading some of your posts is a great way of learning how to make yourself look like a fucking wanker.
Wahhhhhhhhhhh.

The game, in my opinion, looks dumb. Therefore I said it. What's this? Opinions on a message board?! Say it ain't so!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #22
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
The game, in my opinion, looks dumb.
Appearances can be deceiving. Why not give it a try? If not, thanks for your input anyway.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #23
Banned User

Ok....I WILL!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #24
Banned User

I take back what I said. It's a fun game. I mean, sure, it froze my computer when I exited out of it, but still, the game is fun to play. Not $20 worth of fun, but still fun.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #25
Writer-Designer

Thanks for giving it a try and for posting your amended thoughts. Freezing the computer is something new and I'll have to look into it.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:37 AM   #26
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Wahhhhhhhhhhh.

The game, in my opinion, looks dumb. Therefore I said it. What's this? Opinions on a message board?! Say it ain't so!
My problem isn't with you having a negative opinion it's that you flatly dismissed the game without making any attempt to express what you disliked about it or why, combined with a general tendency you seem to have to dismiss almost anything with an interesting artstyle as juvenile or self-consciously weird. I see that you've given the game a try now, so my post's sort of pointless, but I thought I should clarify what I objected to anyway.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #27
Writer-Designer

Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso got an excellent mention in this week's MCV, one of the top games industry magazines in the UK. To quote:

"Smoozing the industry
They'll offer you hi-def graphics, cinematic character development and even motion sensor gameplay, but we'll wager no publisher will come close to bettering our favourite game name of the year: Mr. Smoozles Goes Nutso. If the Juniper Games title is as zany as it sounds, we can't wait to get our hands on it."

Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 AM   #28
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

omg! I didn't even know this was out!

gotta buy my copy! that demo was so fun! aww those cute little characters all frozen and stuck in holding cells...

you need to make stickers and collectibles of those cute characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
My problem isn't with you having a negative opinion it's that you flatly dismissed the game without making any attempt to express what you disliked about it or why, combined with a general tendency you seem to have to dismiss almost anything with an interesting artstyle as juvenile or self-consciously weird. I see that you've given the game a try now, so my post's sort of pointless, but I thought I should clarify what I objected to anyway.
that happens a lot on here. I think Steve has been around long enough to know what to expect when you post on a public forum. Still, that doesn't make it "right."

As far as I can see, Nutso looks like a really cool little diversion and I took the time out to play the demo and loved it. Kudos to anyone passionate enough to start their own game company and actually release a downloadable game. WOO!
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Now if only I could work out how I'm suppose to solve my current objectives. Ed's certainly getting exercise with all this running I'm putting him through.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #30
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
omg! I didn't even know this was out!
Pay attention at the back!

Quote:
you need to make stickers and collectibles of those cute characters.
Collectibles would be so cool. Just imagine them lined up on the top of your monitor.
Or Fridge Magnets.

Quote:
As far as I can see, Nutso looks like a really cool little diversion and I took the time out to play the demo and loved it. Kudos to anyone passionate enough to start their own game company and actually release a downloadable game. WOO!
Thanks Eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Now if only I could work out how I'm suppose to solve my current objectives. Ed's certainly getting exercise with all this running I'm putting him through.
Not as simple as it might first appear, eh?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince
Not as simple as it might first appear, eh?
Indeed!!
I think I'm quite a way into the game now; trying to find a code to activate a forcefield panel, and a way of upgrading a groundmine.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #32
Freeware Co-ordinator

I liked the demo enough that I will probably buy the game. Just got to lever it into my budget somehow.

Respect for actually producing a full game (I keep saying I'll write an AGS game and yet not one line of script yet exists. I do have some notes though. ) Further respect for the calm way you take feedback, both good and bad.

Wasn't this a cartoon strip already? Are you saying a merchandising shop hasn't been set up by now?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #33
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Further respect for the calm way you take feedback, both good and bad.
People should always be entitled to their opinion and constructive criticism always helps me refine my game development ideas. I'm also fully aware that not all people will like the game, but I take great heart from the fact that I've had some wonderful feedback, particularly from other developers.

Quote:
Wasn't this a cartoon strip already? Are you saying a merchandising shop hasn't been set up by now?
I set up some initial stuff on the Blue Cat Jam site, but I haven't had the time to expand the range. I need an assistant.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #34

I bought the full version today and have played for about three hours. I was feeling pretty complacent over how smoothly I was problem-solving, but now....I'm going to have to chew over my predicaments for a while as I'm not quite sure what to do next. And that's good!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 AM   #35

I've playing it for some time now (I'm in the factory now and trying to find an upgrade for the enabler thingie (and kind of stuck)), and I must say it's oodles of fun. What I really like is that (contrary to Jane Jensen's Be Trapped) the Pacman sequences and the adventure parts (exploration, puzzles) really work together, so that the running around doesn't get repetitive.

Two possible problems, though:
1) When I click on the game's icon, it takes a good 20 seconds before the loading screen appears, giving the impression that nothing is happening (that's what I thought the first time, and ended up launching 4 instances of the game!).
2) In the factory, there's a work bench, which needs a power cell. I've put one (as in the box room earlier) (EDIT: and it causes the machine to turn from red to green), but the game still says that the machine needs power. Is that normal?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-09-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #36
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I've playing it for some time now (I'm in the factory now and trying to find an upgrade for the enabler thingie (and kind of stuck)), and I must say it's oodles of fun. What I really like is that (contrary to Jane Jensen's Be Trapped) the Pacman sequences and the adventure parts (exploration, puzzles) really work together, so that the running around doesn't get repetitive.
Spoiler:
Did you get the factory key? Did you find the locked cabinet/locker?

Quote:
Two possible problems, though:
1) When I click on the game's icon, it takes a good 20 seconds before the loading screen appears, giving the impression that nothing is happening (that's what I thought the first time, and ended up launching 4 instances of the game!).
I think this is a fault of the Game Maker software I used. I don't think it was ever intended to be used in the way I'm doing and as the game grew in size the longer this period went on.

Quote:
2) In the factory, there's a work bench, which needs a power cell. I've put one (as in the box room earlier) (EDIT: and it causes the machine to turn from red to green), but the game still says that the machine needs power. Is that normal?
No, you shouldn't get that. Did you do anything in a particular order prior to that?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #37

First, thanks for having replied!

Quote:
Spoiler:
Did you get the factory key? Did you find the locked cabinet/locker?
Spoiler:
Yes, but I can't open it. I won't get the yellow/white card before I turn off the power, which means getting the security upgrade, so I guess I've got to find that telephone card somewhere instead... I'll look again for it. EDIT: OK, got it.

Quote:
No, you shouldn't get that. Did you do anything in a particular order prior to that?
I'm not sure. I had forgotten to take a power cell with me, so I did most of what I could do in the factory before taking care of it. I'll see what happens if I do it directly when I enter the factory (supposing I've got an old save at the right time). Is it just a bonus, or will it prevent me from finishing the game?

EDIT: Actually, the machine does work (now that I've got something to do with it), it's just that the description (when hitting CTRL) isn't changed after you put the power cell.

Spoiler:
Oh, and the BASS Ester egg was fun.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-09-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #38
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
First, thanks for having replied!
That's okay.

Quote:
I'm not sure. I had forgotten to take a power cell with me, so I did most of what I could do in the factory before taking care of it. I'll see what happens if I do it directly when I enter the factory (supposing I've got an old save at the right time). Is it just a bonus, or will it prevent me from finishing the game?
If it's turned green you should be able to use it when you need to, but failing that you can always use the other Workbench. I hope the latter isn't the case or something has gone wrong that no one else has found (don't you hate that?).

Glad you liked the easter egg.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #39

Quote:
If it's turned green you should be able to use it when you need to, but failing that you can always use the other Workbench. I hope the latter isn't the case or something has gone wrong that no one else has found (don't you hate that?).
Another thing I hate is when I edit a post just when someone's replying to it... as has just happened here. So, yes, it works. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #40
Writer-Designer

Ah, what you said in the edit means it's just a mistake on my part with not updating the examine description. No matter how thorough I try to be there's always something that slips through the net. My attempt at perfection must wait for another day...