You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 05:44 PM   #21
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

...oh, and the voice acting of the main character is stressed all wrong. I would've done better...

But I think it it is the problem of how the lines were presented to the voice actors, nobody would've spoken like that in a proper context...
Old 01-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #22
Umbilicus Mundi

Glad you liked it Kingz. And Gothic 2 is even better (kind of). But there's still no children. And they changed Diego's voice into a peasants voice (sounds really bad the first time I heard him).
I actually liked most of the voices in both games, they somehow made the game feel even more unique.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 AM   #23
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

You know, I never got to kill Gomez, even though I really wanted to and I found the teleportation rune to the mages of fire near the end... Perhaps I should replay as a mage, or just walk out from the...
Spoiler:
(Is this a spoiler? Perhaps not) ...temple right in the middle of teaching them Brotherhood bastards a lesson and kill his entourage then. T'would be loads of fun...
Damn it man! I need to stop thinking about this any more, it will cause me to go out of my way to play the second game and it would just be imprudent to do so at this time.

Tell me something, where exactly does the second game take place? The barrier has disappeared, but they have to bracket the world off somehow... is the place any bigger than the inside the barrier one? Any major non-spoiler changes in the environs?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:25 AM   #24

Regarding Gomez thingy:
Spoiler:
I've killed Gomez +/- in the hmm 2/3 of the game, being member of "new" camp. Milton or Diego gave me rune to teleport to the interiors of "old" camp. But I'm not absolutely sure about it - it was sooo long ago.. It might as well be someone else from "new" camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Tell me something, where exactly does the second game take place? The barrier has disappeared, but they have to bracket the world off somehow... is the place any bigger than the inside the barrier one? Any major non-spoiler changes in the environs?
The second game take place on much bigger place - that includes (albeit a little changed) territory of gothic 1, territory next to it (bigger) + one smaller area. You will meet a lot of G1 people and a lot of new ones. Women included (strangely no children though). What else.. sneaking skills, optional thieves guild, and some other surpirses. Check for yourself

Last edited by soltys; 01-21-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #25
Umbilicus Mundi

I don't think you can ...
Spoiler:
... leave the temple once you have entered it. Don't know exactly when the doors close again, but I tried leaving right before inserting the final sword to kill the sleeper and the door that was opened by the 5 swords was closed. So I loaded an earlier save and went to Old Camp to kill Gomez & friends, but I never finished that game.

And yes, you better stop thinking about this, both Gothic are damn addictive. But I've managed to keep from playing it too much, cause I'm doing my exams at the moment

The main world in G2 seems somewhat bigger (by a third maybe?). It is right outside of the "Valley of Mines" where the barrier is. It turns out the barrier was on an island, and now in G2 there's a harbor city with it's surrounding area and farms. You will also go back to the Valley of Mines at one point, which has changed somewhat, but telling what the changes are would spoil it I think.

Some changes I dislike in G2:
1. you can't light the torches any more. that didn't add very much to the game, but it was kind of cool.
2. the inventory/trading system is somewhat better but it's not all improvements
3. the diary contains much less information. in gothic 1 I could always look in the diary when I had forgotten specifics about a quest, but gothic 2 only has vague descriptions of quests in the diary.
4. the quests seem to give less exp. some quests give you so little exp. that killing one or two monsters would give you the same amount. Maybe it was like this in G1 as well, I didn't pay attention? this practically forced me to go exp.-hunting occasionally.
5. Diego's new voice.

Almost everything else is better, though.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #26

I think the second one takes place
Spoiler:
... only weeks after the barrier fell.

This game is waaaay too much fun... and it's so long as well. I don't really have time to play it this much but it's just so much fun.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
And yes, I must admit, the game had a bad battle scheme, especially when fighting multiple foes...
I agree it was flawed when it came to multiple enemies. The focusing thing was a mistake, but when you're only fighting one enemy it's brilliant. You're constantly blocking and trying to time your slashes and thrusts right and as you improve your skill, you actually learn new moves. Apart from Prince of Persia 2 it's the only game that's ever made me feel like I'm really swordfighting rather than making a stats transaction.

"Good day, sir. I'd like to trade a chest cleaving please."

"Excellent! Do you have change for a blow to the head with a blunt object?"
Old 09-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #28
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I think the second one takes place
Spoiler:
... only weeks after the barrier fell.
Yay! I'm still in chapter 1, but according to the map I've bought recently (for like 250 bucks, :eek: I'm poor!) I have seen most parts of Khorinis. Except for the wood area in the North and, well the Northern area in general. Most memorable moments so far:

* I came to a bridge and some bandit wanted me to pay a toll. Me: "No way!" And so I beat the sh*t out of him. Then I heard something from behind. It was one of these nasty Lurker creatures! I quickly backed off in the nearby undergrowth and watched it feeding on the bandit's corpse. When it was finished, I waited until it creepd away and came out again. That was close. Phew!

* Strolling the countryside for the first time at night and reaching an inn. Some torches were lit outside, the moon was shining... I don't know, that just had me totally in awe. Beautiful.

* Again at night in the woods. Yes, I'm a sucker for walks in the woods. Gothic 2 has tons of them! And they're really dense, too! Yummy. Anyway, some really strange green-ish lighting was going on in there. It looked as if the place was haunted. There was a stone circle somewhere. And after I realized that the place was occupied by goblin skeletons, and I just couldn't see much of anything, and woods at night are CREPPY, I quickly ran away. I'll be back! In daylight, that is.

* And most of all: Banging the wench in the brothel.
Spoiler:
Kidding. Well, actually, that's still high on my list of things to do.

While the world isn't as massive as in Morrowind for instance, it's still pretty darn impressive that there seem to be literally NO loading pauses or bars or anything such in the game. Damn immersive, everything of that. Also: Thread resurrection for the win!

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-10-2006 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #29
-

Send a message via ICQ to xtc2812 Send a message via MSN to xtc2812

Get the expansion pack "The night of the raven" and you're in for more hours of fun

It integrates itself with the story of gothic 2 so you would have to start again I believe (but the game is so fun you'd play it over again anway ). Also note they up the difficulty abit by increasing the amount of learning points to learn attributes.

Eagerly waiting for the release of gothic 3 here
Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo

They don't seem to have the first one on Amazon, but if you ever see it in shops or catch it on ebay I can highly recommend it. Best RPG I've ever played.... although nr 2 looks to be challenging that title.
HI

Since you're in Holland (in Europe) you can go to either www.amazon.co.uk to see if they have the game or buy the game (gothic 1) directly from
the game developer's site, here:

http://www.piranha-bytes.com/order/o...new.php?id=140

where you may order (or download the copy of Gothic 1)

aries323
Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #31
capsized.

Wow, that's pretty cool that they're offering the first game for download. If I'll finish Gothic 2 this weekend, I might be tempted to give that a shot. But then, that's rather unlikely. The city of Khorinis is one massive system hog, I'm telling ya, despite the game's age..

Oh, it's the English version over there at the Piranha site. Are the voice overs any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtc2812
Get the expansion pack "The night of the raven" and you're in for more hours of fun

It integrates itself with the story of gothic 2 so you would have to start again I believe (but the game is so fun you'd play it over again anway ).
I've heard lots of good stuff about it. Dunno about the replay, though. It's a rather lenghty game, but one day I surely will come back to it. Maybe I'll pick up the raven then. Hope it won't pick me, though...

edit: Dammit,
Spoiler:
those black wizards have given me the creeps. Especially stumbling upon them at night...
For all its superb immersiveness, it's a bit unfortunate that the game's actual plot seems to be pretty standard fare though. Ancient artifacts, dragons, wizards, swords and sorcery. I didn't see all that much from the first game, but the idea seemed more sound to me. Sort of like "Escape From New York" amongst medieval thugs.

Last edited by samIamsad; 09-15-2006 at 09:14 AM.