You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Katamari Damacy creator Critical Of Nintendo Revolution

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Burning

Default Katamari Damacy creator Critical Of Nintendo Revolution

Quote:
In an interview conducted with Gamasutra sister publication Game Developer at the recent Game Developers Conference, maverick Namco designer and Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi has expressed skepticism over Nintendo's next-gen Revolution console, particularly targeting the machine's innovative control design.

Takahashi commented of the Revolution, which has drawn widespread praise for its underlying concepts from other Eastern and Western designers: "I'm not really interested in it. I don't think a controller should have that much influence on the enjoyment of games."

He continued: "I see what [Nintendo is] trying to do, but they're putting such emphasis on the controller; 'Woah, this controller lets you do this!' and I'm thinking - are you messing with us?"

Takahashi, who has not yet announced his current post-Katamari game project or its platform, concluded on the subject of the Revolution: "So, there's nothing I really want to do with it right now."
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...php?story=8952
Old 04-20-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
gin soaked boy

Yeah yeah... And he suggested a game that would use a controller resembling a cat.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

You'd think the person who created the most innovative game of the year would be all for innovation....

I wonder if he really thinks that or if Sony is putting words in his mouth?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
A Servicable Villain

I think it's fairly reasonable to assume this is, if only subconsciously, a counter-reaction of his against the massive wave of positive hype surrounding the machine.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
You'd think the person who created the most innovative game of the year would be all for innovation....

I wonder if he really thinks that or if Sony is putting words in his mouth?
Yes, that's what surprised me, because he created the most innovative game, but it is possible that for him thinking out of the box is not so important, and he believes that he can still innovate with the current set of tools.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
Thats the ticket

Although Katmari was fun and innovative, it was also one trick pony of game which got very boring very quickly for me. The item descriptions were hilarious though.

I also think the developer is in Sonys pocket because where is Katamari on other platforms?
Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 AM   #7

He also doesn't acknowledge (or realize) that games for the Revolution won't HAVE to be designed for that controller. Last I heard, you'll also be able to hook up traditional style controllers.

And it's not like the controller is the guitar from Guitar Hero and every single game has to be made to use that thing.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
Homer of Kittens

No I think he is trying to say that it's all about the games and that's what Nintendo should be stressing instead of the controller. If you see Katamari, it only controlled with the thumbsticks and it was totally brilliant in both the way it controlled and the way it played. So to him, it doesn't matter what controller you throw at a developer, it's what they do with it.

Firefox rules
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
OB

There have only been two Rev. titles announced(Red Steele and Sadness), so I think we should give N some time to get into game emphasis mode.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Absolutely.

I mean, I'm sure publishers know more about Rev than any of us, but even still, the official word on all things Revolution is still tight lipped.

However, that all changes beginning next week.

(Also, I think Dragonball Z has now been confirmed for Rev, and the rumor is that Nights into dreams may FINALLY get a sequal that goes on Rev! Now THAT has me excited.)
Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
He's not against innovation, he's against this particular innovation.

And I kind of see where he's coming from. One could argue that this is innovative in the way that a new design for Doritos bags is innovative... "new look, same taste." A controller should be a seamless way to interact with the game and nothing more, because that allows for the content to breathe and not be confined.

Not saying I agree entirely, but he's not just saying "lol innovation is dum".
Old 04-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #12

I'd also say that a lot of publishers aren't quite ready to take the risk with the Rev, before they see how it really fares.

It'd be awesome for a developer of their talents to bring something out for the console, but time will tell for sure.

Off topic - I think the Rev could end up having the first decent Harry Potter game. Imagine the coolness of casting spells with the controller, teehee.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
(Also, I think Dragonball Z has now been confirmed for Rev, and the rumor is that Nights into dreams may FINALLY get a sequal that goes on Rev! Now THAT has me excited.)
Oooo Dragonball Z? I hope they make some sort of Powerglove for the revoloution, that would be great for a game like that
Old 04-21-2006, 04:38 PM   #14
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Consoles should come with controllers that only have two buttons, red and green, and nothing else. It's how you put the controller to use that's important.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Nonsense, they shoud come with hundreds of knobs and do-hickeys, infact it should be like a suit or armour or something and have boosters on the heels and Ion cannons on your fingers!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:59 AM   #16

Yep, the Nintendo Powerglove should definately make a return!!

I can then feel more like Jobe than ever before...MWHAHAHA
Old 04-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #17

I think he will change his tune if he seriously is not owned by Song in some way. The technologies like the Free Hand Controller that Nintendo has with its new coming Revolution system and its rumored use of complete 3D space and voice recognition have me very excited, especially for the adventure genre. Imagine being able to physically feel as you move the lever in the cave, move the crate and reach to pick up the bar under it. Objects not out in plain sight but you could move a bush or look through debris and then combine items realisticly with proper handmovements. Tie in possible voice recognition and you have the game as interactive if not more then back when we gave our own text commands but this time we think up the conversations or words that will interact with npcs, objects, etc. This has me very excited and I glad to see a few posts everyday about what this system could do for adventure games.So if find Keita quick dismissive thoughts abit unimagitive. I can only hope those sitting on hot properties are already aware of this(looking at you for one, Vivendi)and are testing out the waters and using the original creators also make sure that the foundation is solid with good characters, story and settings.