You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default DOSBox 0.65!!

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Rejoice! This new release contains all the CVS fixes and goodies, as well as quite a few speed increases. I'm in love with it so far.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
Fire Dragon/Pisces

...couldn't agree more. Greased lightning!
I'm currently testing it with '95/96 games (DOS4GW, SVGA, much RAM, P1 CPU requirements) and got... 40!!!! % overall speed gain.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Sierra Junkie

No kidding eh? System Shock and Crusader run flawlessly for me now when they used to have severe sound stuttering.

Bio Menace appears to be broken as of right now though. I've let Qbix know, so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Fire Dragon/Pisces

unfortunately I don't have those games, but I tried these:

Strike Commander
Master of Orion 2 DOS version + unoff. patches
Warlords 2
Counter Action

..and yes, on a P4 3.4 these run almost perfectly

[normal or simple core, overlock at max. 12000 cycles, SB16+General MIDI, Dosbox set to highest priority]

on sound stutter: have you tried switching off all sound card emulations except the one you use in the game (preferably Gravis or SB 2.0)? This can ease the CPU load a bit. In some cases, manual setting of buffers can also help. I don't really like it though - sound lag annoys me more than clicks or hisses.
All in all, in 2 or 3 yrs our machines and DosBox will cope with ANY DOS game, I think.

Last edited by Jolaes; 03-30-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:27 AM   #5

Yup, it's nice. And they finally corrected the wobbly sound bug feature they introduced a couple of months ago, too. The Pandora Directive is my usual benchmark, and I've been happy to see it improve over the past few months.

And, Jolaes, why aren't you using the dynamic core? I've hardly ever had any problem with it.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-30-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
Sierra Junkie

Jolas, I can run games in 34000 cycles on dynamic.....so the stuttering only happens on games that require faster machines. Games like Doom, Larry VII and others all run perfectly....it was just System Shock and Crusader that refused to work correctly and have now been solved.

I ought to try out Duke Nukem 3D for fun now, the best way to gauge speed increases!

edit - Sweet Jesus! Duke3D runs full frames w/ sound! O_o
Old 03-30-2006, 04:50 AM   #7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Rejoice! This new release contains all the CVS fixes and goodies, as well as quite a few speed increases. I'm in love with it so far.

Hey, maybe now I can play "Betrayal at Krondor" without having to wait 15 minutes for it to load! The game ran at a normal speed, but it showed me a black window for ages before the game had loaded.

Woo!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-30-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
Sierra Junkie

That shouldn't happen, I run Krondor perfectly on my end and its worked since 0.63
Old 03-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've been able to run most things at a proper speed before by setting frame cycles to something ridiculously high, but any improvement to DOSBox is good in my book .

I remember when I first used DOSBox and it was still fairly useless. About six months later it was great, and it just keeps getting better .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:05 AM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I've been able to run most things at a proper speed before by setting frame cycles to something ridiculously high
Well I tend to set my cycles to the point where the game runs flawlessly. Many older games rarely need anything more than 12000 as a maximum, but when we're talking 486/Pentium games you need to let dosbox have as close to 100% CPU as possible. That way games like Doom don't choke, and sierra games with speech don't skip.

I'm just amazed at games I assumed needed too much power are now working without a hitch.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #11
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
That shouldn't happen, I run Krondor perfectly on my end and its worked since 0.63
Well, the running was no problem, and neither was the playing. It just took ages to get the game started. I have no idea why.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Well, there's only one way to find out if there's been an improvement ...

Old 03-30-2006, 05:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Well, the running was no problem, and neither was the playing. It just took ages to get the game started. I have no idea why.
It already was extremely slow under original DOS, never figured out why...
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 03-30-2006, 05:31 AM   #14
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
It already was extremely slow under original DOS, never figured out why...
Was it? I have the CD version and its always been a speedy startup for me, be it on my old 386/486/Pentium or today in Dosbox.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I have no memory of it loading slowly, though it's been a while since I last played it.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 AM   #16
Sierra Junkie

Dosbox now has video-recording, so technically its possible to show it.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #17
Fire Dragon/Pisces

Kurufinwe,

I suspect both my P4s are cursed with a high level spell (probably Curse Machine Spirits from the Warhammer Universe ) so if I set dynamic core, the game speed never stays constant. I don't like slowdowns nor engine revvings up to the sky Normal is more stable for me.

Thx again for all the help!

you were right; the dynamic core was improved a lot - I could go op to 46000 cycles without hitches in protected mode games (this is max 42% CPU load for a P4 3.4Ghz) - but I still have these slowdown issues. Not for long, I hope...

Last edited by Jolaes; 03-30-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #18

Woo! Sounds fantastic. Anything that will help. I just tried it out with my test, We Go by Complex. I managed to get it up to about 25000 cycles with clean sound and smooth animation once the long precalc completed.

It's always slow, which is part of the reason I used it as a test - but it seems to have become bearable. It should be better once tuned.

Now, what I really want to see is Windows 3.1 support, for all of those old MPC compatible games, reference, and educational CD_ROMs I've collected over the years.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
Now, what I really want to see is Windows 3.1 support, for all of those old MPC compatible games, reference, and educational CD_ROMs I've collected over the years.
It supposedly more or less works (though I haven't tried it myself). I don't think you can really run games / apps smoothly on top of Windows yet.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #20
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolaes

you were right; the dynamic core was improved a lot - I could go op to 46000 cycles without hitches in protected mode games (this is max 42% CPU load for a P4 3.4Ghz) - but I still have these slowdown issues. Not for long, I hope...
Do you have a hyperthreaded CPU? If so you can only really hit 50% I think, so don't add too many cycles

Yes - 3.11 does work. I have it and I can play games like chips challenge, but nothing that requires win32s yet.