You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Stargate: The Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Stargate: The Game

Did you know it was canned?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The FPS being made in Austrailia? Yes, the producers of Stargate thought the quality was too low. It probably was. The MMORPG looks cool though.

Last edited by Aj_; 03-21-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #3

If you've seen any screenshots, you'd know why Everything looked like it came out of a badly done HL1 mod, seriously.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

I saw it and played a demo of it in E3 last year and I totally understand why it was canned. The game flatout sucks.

Firefox rules
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If you've seen any screenshots, you'd know why Everything looked like it came out of a badly done HL1 mod, seriously.

Huh?

The gameplay was hit and miss according to beta testers. It got that far into production... do you honestly think it was canned so late just because of visuals? **** no...

All I've seen of the mmorpg is a couple of pieces of concept art, not much to be wowed by. It doesn't really strike me as a sustainable license for a mmorpg and I'll be surprised if it gets off the ground at all, or for very long. At first glance it might mesh well with the current trend of instanced raids popular in mmorpgs. You can picture teams getting together and whizzing off through the stargate just fine... but then what? Character development isn't really covered in the show at all, its more about clawing their way to an even footing, not collecting leet buffz. What/where is the incentive to level up?

Stargate fans don't really strike me as mmorpg gamers but that's just my biased and skiewed world view. I have ZERO idea why people enjoy watching RDA on telly, and even less understanding of those who praise what he does as "acting", let alone "good". Maybe it'll be like Star Wars galaxies and after hours of loyal playtime you unlock the 'annoying **** of a team leader who does nothing but whine and act like a cockgobbler 24 hours a day' slot on your account...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Homer of Kittens

Images are deceiving. It did not look like that in reality when I saw it.

Firefox rules
Old 03-22-2006, 02:08 AM   #7
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
http://www.stargate-thealliance.com/...ts/Screen8.jpg

http://www.stargate-thealliance.com/...ts/Screen2.jpg

Huh?

The gameplay was hit and miss according to beta testers. It got that far into production... do you honestly think it was canned so late just because of visuals? **** no...

All I've seen of the mmorpg is a couple of pieces of concept art, not much to be wowed by. It doesn't really strike me as a sustainable license for a mmorpg and I'll be surprised if it gets off the ground at all, or for very long. At first glance it might mesh well with the current trend of instanced raids popular in mmorpgs. You can picture teams getting together and whizzing off through the stargate just fine... but then what? Character development isn't really covered in the show at all, its more about clawing their way to an even footing, not collecting leet buffz. What/where is the incentive to level up?

Stargate fans don't really strike me as mmorpg gamers but that's just my biased and skiewed world view. I have ZERO idea why people enjoy watching RDA on telly, and even less understanding of those who praise what he does as "acting", let alone "good". Maybe it'll be like Star Wars galaxies and after hours of loyal playtime you unlock the 'annoying **** of a team leader who does nothing but whine and act like a cockgobbler 24 hours a day' slot on your account...
Doctored images...

Look at the rock, the crane, and the sea. Not quality...

What licensed MMORPG is based on a IP that has already covered characer developement? The Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars or Super Heros in general?

How many Stargate fans do you know?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 AM   #8
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
What licensed MMORPG is based on a IP that has already covered characer developement? The Matrix, LOTR, Star Wars or Super Heros in general?

How many Stargate fans do you know?
I'm not sure what you're driving at with 'covered'... my point was that The Matrix, Star Wars, and the many fantasy set mmorpgs out there already, are all IP's that involve and encourage individuals making their own way in that universe, with their own goals and with free and ready access to challenges.

Typically stargate is far removed from that. If players are limited to SG1 or similar status then that totally removes the self interested exploration and development angle... in order for it to work as an mmorpg I can't see them letting people be SG members, at least and still be true to the IP. Perhaps you'll be able to play another race, with a stargate and be free to persue your own self interested development... but what fun is that to the average stargate fan who longs to be part of the team?

I know plenty of Stargate fans. Forums full of them and a few in real life. Personally I loved the original movie premise but the TV show was more miss than hit with me, and I can't stand Atlantis. Well looking at Torri Higginson in her skin tight red-grey jumpsuit is nice I guess, but beyond that its a chore to watch, waiting for that tiny smidgen of good writing and a reference to real world myths.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
I'm not sure what you're driving at with 'covered'... my point was that The Matrix, Star Wars, and the many fantasy set mmorpgs out there already, are all IP's that involve and encourage individuals making their own way in that universe, with their own goals and with free and ready access to challenges.
The Matrix, where is the self interest in that? You're selflessly fighting for freedom in a virtual world. Star Wars, Storm Troopers or Jedi aren't exactly encouraged to promote self interest. Have you watched any of the movies?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
The Matrix, where is the self interest in that? You're selflessly fighting for freedom in a virtual world. Star Wars, Storm Troopers or Jedi aren't exactly encouraged to promote self interest. Have you watched any of the movies?
Yeah, but I guess you haven't. Nor even looked at the games based on those IPs.

Star Wars caters to more than just Jedi, its actually quite hard (or it was originally in the game design) to play a Jedi in Galaxies which instead focuses on playing other classes and builds (bounty hunters, smugglers, freebooters). Characters with self development as a primary interest... the carrot on the end of the stick of every mmorpg to date.

The matrix is all about upgrades, powers, and exploiting the virtually constructed world. The mmorpg focuses primarily on missions set inside the virtual world where rag-tag splinter groups fight as best they can against agents. And solo, self aware individuals are referred to in the cannon of the IP.

In contrast, SG1 is a military group under strict management. Each mission is heavily regulated and super powers and items only come about when the gaping plot holes and/or season finale cliff hangers require them.

I'm not saying theres no room for self interested characters in the Stargate IP, but they've never been the major focus of the TV show nor the fans.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #11
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Yeah,
Thanks, bye.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Banned User

Hahah you guys are nuts. It's just a game. Come on people now! Smile on your brother everybody get together try to love one another right now.