You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Party On Dudes

Default Getting Up

I did a search so i'm guessing no-one's talking about this game, Tan got's me it for my birthday in exactly seven days and i'm dying to play it sooo badly... It doesn't help that the website (www.getting-up.com) is sooo good i feel like crying

Just check these visuals out, they are awesome!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #2

While I agree the premise looks at first glance awesome (as do some of the graffiti designs) I've heard nothing but bad stuff about this game, ranging from highly repetitive to seriously flawed controls and other bugs. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to it. Looks like it's not much more than a 'vehicle' for Ecko Ltd.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Getting it up under pressure sounds kinda dirty to me
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Getting it up under pressure sounds kinda dirty to me
It is, you wouldn't believe the number of shirts and pants I ruined doing graffiti back in the day
Old 03-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #5

It reminds me of Jet Set Radio only in an urban setting.

Although I prefer Jet Set Radio's visuals myself.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Banned User

Yeah I heard it sucked too. Ask for the receipt?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
More slaw!!!

It got banned in Australia.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
It got banned in Australia.
Everything gets banned in Australia.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Party On Dudes

Thanks for the feedback (i guess?) but i know this game is gonna rock, so jjacob, you still tagging man? Was you a street or a studio guy?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 03-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Yet another hip-hop gangsta inspired game. *Yawn*

Boy, I remember just yesterday when I said to myself "Self," I says, "I want to play a gangsta that defaces public property. Why can't someone make me game where I can be a pimple on society's ass?"

To which self replied: "What the **** are you on? Quit talking to yourself!"
Old 03-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
Thanks for the feedback (i guess?) but i know this game is gonna rock, so jjacob, you still tagging man? Was you a street or a studio guy?
Well have fun then! I started graf. when I was 13, so long ago I can't even remember what I tagged Didn't start anything big (bigger than a usual tag) till I was 15 orso, when I/we started bombing bananas and bigger stuff, like sides of buildings and bridge columns n such, at which time I bombed "Qvai" (meaning something like Ghost in Chinese). I even almost got killed one night when I nearly fell of a 60 feet scaffolding, luckily my friend was standing right beside me and grabbed my arm so I managed to get back on - that was one of the biggest ones we did; a 30 feet wide piece of bloody art (cost us like 120€ in cans too ). When the scaffolding was removed I often found people looking at the piece from across the street and talking about it, that was pretty awesome (ofcourse only 6 months later a building rose in front of it). Doing bananas was the most awesome though - the rush of waiting till the right moment to climb the fences, quite literally putting a piece down 'under pressure' and getting the hell out of there without getting caught was awesome (I hope they get that right in this game ). We pretty much quit at around age 17 because it cost a lot of money and time and I got into DJ'ing so I sort of lost interest. I've been getting into stickering lately though, and that's truly awesome as well, especially big stickers and what you can put in them. I still have a few cans lying around for doing small "cut-outs" (can't find the English term, it's where you cut out a shape of cardboard and spray paint it on walls). I'm not nearly the best out there, though sometimes I have a stroke of genius and put it in my blackbook, still, I'm nowhere near what some people can do with cans So anyway, did/do you do graf?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58

Boy, I remember just yesterday when I said to myself "Self," I says, "I want to play a gangsta that defaces public property. Why can't someone make me game where I can be a pimple on society's ass?"

Grafitti is an art form man. I agree that half of it are just uninspired ugly tags and such, but so many people out there can make truly amazing stuff that liven up an otherwise dull cityscape. I don't know whether or not you really notice if you haven't done graf yourself but a really fresh piece can seriously make my day. It's also helped a lot of youth get out of trouble, or had you rather they became drugdealers? In any case, it's nowhere near a "pimple on society's ass"

And there's tons of pieces that look even better, just make an effort to notice them when you're walking around town and you'll be amazed at the skills some of these guys (or gals) have
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #13
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Nobody does great graffiti art in Finland anymore, there used to be real artists around here in the early 90's, but all those guys have grown up or something like that I guess?

These days there are only about 16 year old dumbasses who just feck up every building with ugly name tags. That's not art at all.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Nobody does great graffiti art in Finland anymore, there used to be real artists around here in the early 90's, but all those guys have grown up or something like that I guess?

These days there are only about 16 year old dumbasses who just feck up every building with ugly name tags. That's not art at all.
Or most of them became graphic designers or are attending some kind of art school Still, there are some awesome pieces to be found here (scroll down to Finland). Yeah tagging is really ugly, but hey, some of these 'feckers' just might grow into someone with skill
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #15
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

"This is a stealth section... it's pretty shit actually. The SECTION, I mean, is pretty shit. Not the actual game. OBVIOUSLY."
"This is a part from earlier on in the game. It's called 'jump over a tramp'. It's a LOT OF FUN."

Consolevania didn't like it. Go and watch the review if you fancy a good laugh!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58

Cut the "pimple on society's ass" bullshit. Would it interest you more if it was blatantly Japanese and more rock-oriented? Because then it would be okay, right?

Games involving killing lots of people? Fine! Games involving mass destruction? Okay! Games that have poor black people spraypainting? I'M SICK OF GLORIFYING THOSE DAMN THUGS.

Wrap the exact same game in a different aesthetic, with white people doing it to perky J-pop or some shit, and you wouldn't even bat an eye (just like everybody else when Jet Set Radio came out with the EXACT SAME THEME and nobody cared). Give me a break.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Banned User

You're all racist!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #18

Well, *obviously*, "Crash" proved that
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #19

Hey, I think the game looks like crap.

I just think it's really hypocritial when people will play games about killing and mass destruction, but something like this gets shat on for being "thuggish." I mean, as far as videogames go, this is really tame.

Except, you know. For the black people.

PS: Crash sucked
Old 03-17-2006, 02:18 AM   #20
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
Cut the "pimple on society's ass" bullshit. Would it interest you more if it was blatantly Japanese and more rock-oriented? Because then it would be okay, right?

Games involving killing lots of people? Fine! Games involving mass destruction? Okay! Games that have poor black people spraypainting? I'M SICK OF GLORIFYING THOSE DAMN THUGS.

Wrap the exact same game in a different aesthetic, with white people doing it to perky J-pop or some shit, and you wouldn't even bat an eye (just like everybody else when Jet Set Radio came out with the EXACT SAME THEME and nobody cared). Give me a break.
I don't know what side of the street you woke up on today, but perhaps you needed a few more hours sleep.

I consider graffiti taggers pimples on society's ass. Why? How about they get real jobs instead of drawing shitty picaso's all over the place? In my city the whole downtown core is loaded with this shit and I think its horrible. I'm sure if the buildings WANTED a picture of a distorted woman they would have asked for it....

As for Jet Set Radio, I haven't even played it nor do I care to. For that matter, What the hell is J-pop? Japanese Pop? What does that have to do with my comments? As for mass destruction, why would you assume I prefer those? Quit acting like this is the next innovative game, you walk around spraying things....if thats what this industry needs in inovation then someone please shoot me three times in the head.

I'm sorry I obviously pushed your PMS button, but these games are a dime a dozen. They even took over the Tony hawk series trying to 'thug' it up. I don't consider being anti-rap and anti-gangsta being racist pal. There are just as many asshat gangsta white folks whom I also find annoying. Gangsta-ism is a fad and will pass. Hell, maybe online poker will take it over. Thats the way the trend seems to be going.