You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I Just Bought...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #161
is not wierd

Got this a few days ago:

and no it's not a coincidence that I haven't been around as much on the boards for the past few days But seriously, I'm loving this game.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #162
Lazy Bee

I just bought Grim Fandango. Everyone says it's so good, even the best. I'm a bit sceptical since I've not enjoyed either F.T or M.I 3. But I understand this is a must-play in order to claim to be an adventure gamer so I'll give it a try.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 AM   #163
Master of time and space

I just bought

I'm having high expectations here :-) I love creepy well made games :-)
Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #164
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I seriously need to actually play my copy of Realms of the Haunting. The five minutes I did play it for were fantastic, but I'm saving it for when I go and see an old friend in Australia .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:02 AM   #165
Grah! Grah!

Journey to the Moon (Why they didn't use the much classier "Voyage: Inspired by Jules Verne" title in Australia, I don't know.)
Evil Genius
Rome: Total War
Got them all together for $50 in a sale. The same sale had a whole lot of pristine copies of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines for $20, which sort of saddens me, though I suppose it's good for anyone around here who hasn't bought it yet. (Bastards!)
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #166

Spiwak. Even though vampire bloodlines had a lot of bugs (I didn't notice too many) I thought it was fantastic and was one of the best RPG/adventure hybrids I've played. It felt so much more closer to the tabletop experience than other RPGs I've played.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #167
is not wierd

I'm generally very forgiving of bugs, unless they're the kind of bugs that really cripple the game, because a) most are going to be fixed in patches, and b) how much time the developers had to perfect the coding doesn't really measure the quality of a game. For instance, Fallout 2 had a lot of bugs when it first came out, but with the patch it was fine (I don't remember anything that bad) and I love it almost as much as the original (and not below the first because of bugs).

As I play Bloodlines it pains me a little. I haven't played any Troika games before this, but I'm just absolutely loving the design, the writing and voiceacting, and just about everything else. Really sucks that Troika's gone already, as I'd like to see more of these awesome, unique RPGs and more from the Vampire universe. I'd like to see the Troika guys move in with Obsidian (not sure why those guys broke off from Black Isle in the first place though), but I doubt they'll go back into games anytime soon. Which sucks.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 AM   #168
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinking_dylan
Spiwak. Even though vampire bloodlines had a lot of bugs (I didn't notice too many) I thought it was fantastic and was one of the best RPG/adventure hybrids I've played. It felt so much more closer to the tabletop experience than other RPGs I've played.
Except the tabletop experience doesn't include a gaming/loading 1:1 ratio. Other than that, it is a superb game, and the fan community keeps releasing patches (that sadly do not fix the performance issues).
Old 05-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #169
is not wierd

Oh yea, true. I do find the load times a little hard to deal with. I thought the sometimes stuttery performance was just my machine's inability to play it perfectly. Either way, I'm getting through it just fine.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #170
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
how much time the developers had to perfect the coding doesn't really measure the quality of a game.
It does for me, the execution matters just as much as design, if not more. Even patched, Fallout 2's runaway bugs still annoy the hell out of me so I choose not to play it, despite my love for the first game. The bugs also completely ruined my enjoyment of ToEE.

Had they had better programmers, Troika would be on the top of the world now.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #171
is not wierd

Well the problem isn't with the programmers but with the studio rushing the developers to finish the game. Fallout 2 was rushed to the market, and I'm going to assume Troika's games were as well.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #172
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I seem to remember reading that Troika had no internal test team, so they were always reliant on the whims of the publishers when it came to the testing cycle. They then had the misfortune of using a series of publishers (Vivendi, but moreso Atari and Activision) who have a dubious history of releasing bugged games (Sin, anyone?).

Old 05-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #173

Yes, it's such a shame Troika closed. I've got ToEE but have not got around to playing it yet. I really need to pick up Arcunum though.

I didn't notice any problems with load times. What I meant when I said it was close to tabletop was that most CRPGs concentrate on combat and loot, whereas a tabletop game has very little combat and more conversations and plot.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #174
gin soaked boy

Just ordered these babies:

But I'll have to wait 30-60 days for them to arrive.
Nevertheless, Elevator Action Returns, here I come!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #175
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Heh. I found Taito Legends 2 on Amazon (new) for 99p + P&P (random seller). I still need to get the original at some point, though.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #176
Psychonaut

I bought the Capcom Classics one a few weeks ago.

Retro goodness.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #177
Freeware Co-ordinator

I just bought Descent I and II The Ultimate Collection (as opposed to the Really Naff Collection presumably) for £2 from a charity shop (support Barnardos everyone. They look after kids and have a lot of great second-hand games every time I go in there. )

It's a nice package. Both of the original games, all the commended levels from the Levels of the World competition for the first and the Vertigo Missions plus mission builder for the second.

Having loaded them both up I can now confirm that I'm just as rubbish at these games as I remember being when they first came out. Fortunately I really got them for my brother-in-law who loved the games but no longer has a copy.

Do you think I should tell him that Descent I in Win 95 compatibility runs at impossibly difficult speeds? (Runs fine in DOSBox)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 PM   #178
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Am I mad to buy Boiling Point? Who knows. It seems quite interesting so far.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #179
Lazy adventurer

Send a message via Yahoo to wicked

Actually, i won it. I dunno if i'm going to play it, i don't like that monthly fee .
Old 06-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #180
Master of time and space

I don't know what to expect from this one...
Attached Images

« Last finished game | - »