You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #21
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED X-42

"A smart and twisted first-person adventure"???

They're not going to squeeze all their fantastic ideas into some sort of Myst-clone, are they?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #22

Relax, Far Cry is probably GameInformer's idea of an adventure
Old 02-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
capsized.

I'd take Far Cry over Tony Goodmate And The Night Of The Roasted Mushrooms any day.

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-09-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I'd take Far Cry over Tony Goodmate And The Night Of The Roasted Moths any day.
I second that statement
Old 02-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #25
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
"A smart and twisted first-person adventure"???

They're not going to squeeze all their fantastic ideas into some sort of Myst-clone, are they?
It's probably related to the whole "Metroid Prime is the beginning of a new genre, the first person adventure genre!" thing that was discussed here a while back, i.e. they're trying to saying it's a first person shooter with a strong emphasis on exploration... which probably isn't so far off the mark for System Shock 2 if you ignore the RPG parts.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #26
capsized.

Heheh, yes. I was only joking. Or tried to... OT (a bit, anyway): Has anybody ever been to the Junction Point site, Warren Spector's new independent studio?

Quote:
Junction Point Studios, Inc., founded in November of 2004, is an independent developer of innovative console and PC games that focus on player-driven, improvisational gameplay in the context of strong, traditional narratives. The company's goal is to tell stories with players, not to them, allowing them to craft their own, unique experiences through in-game choices.

Ooohhhhoooo! Now if only his buddy Doug Church wouldn't be wasting his talent on creating run of the mill games at EA.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #27
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Recently I played through Deus Ex for my first time, so I am happy to hear of more FPS/RPG hybrids like this. I still haven't played System Shock 1 or 2 yet, but I'm getting there.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #28
merely human

Deus Ex is on my list for most incredible and immersive gaming experiences of all time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #29
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Deus Ex is on my list for most incredible and immersive gaming experiences of all time.

Agreed 100%. Even playing it for the first time in 2005, I still fell in love with it. That says quite a bit about it. Right now I'm playing Invisible War. I went in knowing all the bad reviews and comments about it, so I'm just playing it one its own...not as a "must be better than dx1" type of mentality. Its actually not too bad, but it is very console-ized.....needs more freedom and to have its RPG roots returned if you ask me.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
Recently I played through Deus Ex for my first time, so I am happy to hear of more FPS/RPG hybrids like this. I still haven't played System Shock 1 or 2 yet, but I'm getting there.
Ahh, Deus Ex, one of my favourite topics DX2 is awesome as well, albeit somewhat less so than the first, but still, it's easily one in my top 10 of non adventure games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Agreed 1000000%
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
Agreed 100%. Even playing it for the first time in 2005, I still fell in love with it. That says quite a bit about it. Right now I'm playing Invisible War. I went in knowing all the bad reviews and comments about it, so I'm just playing it one its own...not as a "must be better than dx1" type of mentality. Its actually not too bad, but it is very console-ized.....needs more freedom and to have its RPG roots returned if you ask me.
Yeah, the interface is somewhat dumbed down, as is the freedom and faction-system. Still, it looks pretty good and it has a few surprises here and there. I'm secretly hoping for a third game
Old 02-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #31
Sierra Junkie

Heard of Project Snowblind? It was started AS a third game, but they changed it since and seperated it from Deus Ex. Apparently though it still has some very similar gameplay mechanics and the inspiration shows. I might try that after I finish DX:IW
Old 02-10-2006, 01:55 AM   #32

Yeah I did but after reading some reviews I lost interest. I read that the focus was pretty much on "cool weapons" and less so on story, RPG etc. I might give it a try, but I don't think it'll satisfy my thirst for more Deus Ex

Damn them for getting my hopes up only to crush them!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #33
Sierra Junkie

Right now I'm playing Boiling Point, another very interesting open ended RPG-shooter. Its a little unpolished, but properly patch the bugs aren't so bad. It's actually pretty fun.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:48 AM   #34

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=52

Quote:
Someone has the magazine. heres what it says.

BioShock
- Core gameplay centered on player choice and customization
- Game takes place in the early 60s
- Dev's main goal is total immersion in the story
- you wake up in the ocean surrounded by debris and your first goal is survival
- something about creatures in the ocean discovered by scientists
- "We're creating a world for to be in. What you do is up to you, and you have to live with your choices."
- One of your skills is agility and it makes you run faster
- most upgrades will affect weapons
- you can create weapons and items
- you can hack stuff by being an engineer
- A walkthrough is useless - you take the game where you want it to go (Sounds really open ended)
- BioShock holds many mysteries
- Xbox 360 and PC ONLY

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.p...54&postcount=8

Quote:
Bioshock:

- Player choice is a key feature. It allows multiple approaches to every situation.

- This is the early setting as indicated in GI word for word.
"The game opens in the early 1960s as you find yourself flailing underwater, floating in the ocean as debris falls from above. Bobbing to the surface, you are surrounded by bodies and the wreckage of an airplane. (I snipped a little fluff here)

With survival as your immediate goal, you scan the horizon for signs of land, and you notice something conspicuously out of place. In the middle of the ocean, leagues from civilization, is a single lighthouse jutting up from the water. Swimming closer to investigate, you reach the mysterious structure and scale the stairs inside only to find another oddity: a bathosphere occupied by a dead body. With nowhere to go but down,you remove the unfortunate passenger and climb into the diving apparatus, descending into the unknown below.

As you near the ocean floor, you see the lights and structure of an entire city rising to meet you"

- Dev quote: "That's what makes Bioshock different from a game like Doom, where you see monsters ahead of you, then step over an invisible trigger and they charge you", insists Levine. "There's so much you can do with an AI that only knows cover and flank. We want to build a relationship between AIs". This relationship is heavily dependent on how the environment is populated and the various creatures' roles within that world. For instance, some of your primary foes in BioShock are called Aggressors, deformed soldiers in Ryan's genetically modified army. These tormented beings patrol the corridors, attacking the player as well as scattered remnants of Fontaine's forces. Irate and brutal as Aggressors may be, they will generally ignore the one thing keeping Rapture(the name of the city) alive: the Gatherers.

- Dev makes fun of the opening of Halo
"Here' what I hate" Levine elaborates. "You start up a game, and the first thing you hear is 'Alright Marine! We're gonna teach you how to walk!' and you're like, 'Aw, f__, man. I know how to walk'. We will assume that the player is competent from the start, and then we'll watch. If they aren't competent, we'll give a little help. And if they're really incompetent...... 'Alright, Marine!'".

- For the moment, this is PC and 360 exclusive. However a PS3 version isn't completely ruled out.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #35
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I think all Halo's marines get their brains wiped when they enter service. Makes for loyal cannon fodder
Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #36

I really hope they can live up to my already extremely high expectations

Now let's just hope it doesn't become a 360-exclusive somewhere mid-development
Old 02-16-2006, 05:05 AM   #37

I haven't been able to find a copy of gameinformer. But after a bit of searching i managed to find some scans. (i won't link to them, because they'll just be removed by the mods)

It does look very cool and very atmospheric. With some interesting moral choices for the player. it'll be interesting to see how different people play the game and how there own moral and ethical codes affect their game experience.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #38
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The lack of leakage of these screenshots is upsetting me ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #39

I hope this won't be modded but go to: http://www.duckandcover.cx

and click on the "bioshock 2: quest for the beard" link on the right of the screen
Old 02-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #40
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
The lack of leakage of these screenshots is upsetting me ...
Its a good thing, prevents temptation for spoiling the experience.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives