You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General IGN Game of the Year Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default IGN Game of the Year Awards

Read all about it here!

http://bestof.ign.com/2005/pc/

Indigo Prophecy steals the Adventure game of the year award. Myst V was the runner up.

Civilization IV won the game of the year award! Wahoo! I love that game.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives

Last edited by Dasilva; 12-20-2005 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:27 AM   #2

Brother in Arms won the award for Artistic Design, beating Psychonauts? How did that happen, Brother in Arms seems like it looks like every other World War 2 game.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN about god of war
Why It Rocked: When it comes to action, God of War is the freaking bee's knees. Our boy Kratos the super Spartan has a combat system that's so fluid, intuitive and deep, it's actually hard to go back play any other similarly themed action titl
God of war is the freaking bee's knees?
Our boy Kratos?
Is that how you write proper English?

Firefox rules
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #4

Congrats to Psychonauts for snatching up two "Best Platformer". But I was kind of expecting it to win "Best Game No One Played"?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #5
Hoopy frood

I'm watching GameSpot's year-end awards. I've always liked them more than IGN. Psychonauts is up for twelve freakin' awards. Also, I was extremely happy to see that their "adventure game of the year" category is full of true adventures, rather than action-adventure games like Prince of Persia or Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno6
I'm watching GameSpot's year-end awards. I've always liked them more than IGN. Psychonauts is up for twelve freakin' awards. Also, I was extremely happy to see that their "adventure game of the year" category is full of true adventures, rather than action-adventure games like Prince of Persia or Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks.
Totally agree with you. Anything having Psychonauts nominated for 12 awards is fine in my book.

Firefox rules
Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
I took a look at Gamespot and their layout for the Game of the year is really complex. Either that or I'm looking at the wrong page.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
SamNMax

Eh. These are never too interesting.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
OB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
God of war is the freaking bee's knees?
Our boy Kratos?
Is that how you write proper English?
Yes, it is. Nothing wrong with throwing in a little slang...it is a gaming website after all.

Quote:
Brother in Arms won the award for Artistic Design, beating Psychonauts? How did that happen, Brother in Arms seems like it looks like every other World War 2 game.
I thought they did an adequate job of explaining why they chose it over the colorful, vibrant games(assuming that means runnerup Psychonauts).
Old 12-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
Hoopy frood

A quick recap of the GameSpot awards thus far:

Today they gave out the "Special Achievement" awards. On Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, they're giving out the Dubious Honors, Genre Awards, Platform Awards, and Game of the Year, respectively.

Here are the Special Achievement award winners:

Best original music: God of War. (Runners up: Shadow of the Colossus, Indigo Prophecy, Perfect Dark, Psychonauts.)
Most surprisingly good game: Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. (Runners up: Call of Cthulhu, Mercenaries, Racing Gears Advance, Star Wars Republic Commando.)
Best licensed music: Project Gotham Racing 3. (Runners up: Amped 3, Fifa Soccer, Guitar Hero, Stubbs the Zombie.)
Best story: Indigo Prophecy. (Runners up: Amped 3, Cold Winter, Killer 7, Psychonauts.)
Best sound effects: Condemned. (Runners up: Call of Duty 2, King Kong, Project Gotham Racing 3, Resident Evil 4.)
Best graphics, technical: F.E.A.R. (Runners up: Battlefield 2, Guild Wars, Project Gotham Racing 3, Resident Evil 4.)
Best voice acting: Psychonauts. (Runners up: God of War, Gun, Indigo Prophecy, King Kong.)
Best graphics, artistic: Psychonauts. (Runners up: Guild Wars, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Colossus.)
Best use of a creative license: The Warriors. (Runners up: Call of Cthulhu, Lego Star Wars, Star Wars: Republic Commando, X-Men Legends 2.)
Best artificial intelligence: F.E.A.R. (Runners up: Call of Duty 2, Forza Motorsport, NBA 2K6, SWAT 4.)
Most outrageous game: Amped 3. (Runners up: Killer7, The Matrix: Path of Neo, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Total Overdose.)
Best budget game: Geometry Wars. (Runners up: Dai Senryaku VII, NHL 2K6, Phantom Dust.)
Best new character: Harman Smith, Killer7. (Runners up: Buck Wad - Amped 3, Kratos - God of War, Raz - Psychonauts, Stubbs - Stubbs the Zombie.)
Funniest game: Psychonauts. (Runners up: Amped 3, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Raze's Hell, Stubbs the Zombie.)
Best use of sweat: NBA 2K6. (Runners up: Fifa '06, Fight Night Round 2, NBA Live '06.)
Biggest news: San Andreas gets an AO Rating. (Runners up: 360s unleashed at Zero Hour, Miyamoto unveils Nintendo Revolution controller, PS3 announced for 2006, US PSP launch.)
Best multiplayer game: Battlefield 2. (Runners up: Guild Wars, Mario Kart DS, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3.)
Best use of upset, disheveled men: Condemned. (Runners up: Call of Cthulhu, Resident Evil 4.)
Most innovative game: Killer7. (Runners up: Guild Wars, Indigo Prophecy, Trace Memory, Phoenix Wright.)
Best original game mechanic: NBA 2K6. (Runners up: Guitar Hero, Indigo Prophecy, Lumines, Stubbs the Zombie.)
Most metal: Guitar Hero. (Runners up: Devil May Cry 3, God of War, Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes.)
Most improved sequel: Resident Evil 4. (Runners up: Blitz: The League, Devil May Cry 3, Dragon Quest VIII, Need for Speed: Most Wanted.)
Best new hardware: Microsoft Xbox 360. (Runners up: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core CPU, ATI Radeon X1800 XT GPU, Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX GPU, Sony PSP.)

Enjoy hugely. I endured hell typing that up.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
Hitch-Hiker

Cheers Reno.

I'm glad Psychonauts won a few awards.

_

Old 12-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
SamNMax

IGN sucks at music.

Great comics section, though.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #13
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Best story: Indigo Prophecy. (Runners up: Amped 3, Cold Winter, Killer 7, Psychonauts.)
Even with the rushed ending, I agree.