You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General My problem with next-gen games...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 05:41 AM   #41
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
It would so awesome if someone were to make a new James Pond game for DS.
Play It! holds the rights for this game, and they already made Robocod for GBA, and apparently it will be out on the DS as well?

I doubt they'll make a new one though...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 AM   #42
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

James Pond 2: Robocod was excellent on Amiga, and it's excellent on GBA too, I bought it about six months ago when Play.com was selling it with a cheap price.

And they are still selling it: http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&...A&title=122367

Kind of weird if they are re-releasing the same game on DS also?
Though there is no mention of a DS version on the Play it! website.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #43
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
ILoveYou, reread this thread and ask yourself whether any of the "****ing retards" was indeed twisting your words. You yourself noted that English isn't your first language, and it also isn't for, say, 50% of the board members, so all of us (me included) can relate to that. But with that in mind, I suggest you try to restrain from namecalling if you feel somebody is missing your point entirely, because it may be your fault as much as theirs. Thank you.
It's "consider" by the way.
He indeed was. Even though my english isn't perfect, I know what I said and what I didn't. If he didn't understand it the way I ment it - then it's indeed his problem, not mine. Assuming (aka reading between the lines) too much makes people look stupid.

On other note: If someone twists my words, I have every right to call him names. Maybe that's not smart way to discuss but that's my way. (Hey, I'm not that smart ) If you reply to someone then you should first think twice about what he/she actually wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
It's "consider" by the way.
How interesting....
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou
Maybe that's not smart way to discuss but that's my way. (Hey, I'm not that smart )
Not smart at all, and we ask that you keep namecalling to an absolute minimum (instead of doing it, and then editing your posts - hoping that the mods hadn't already seen it).
Quote:
If you reply to someone then you should first think twice about what he/she actually wrote.
In the same respect, you should reflect on what you're just about to post, before doing so.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Not smart at all, and we ask that you keep namecalling to an absolute minimum (instead of doing it, and then editing your posts - hoping that the mods hadn't already seen it).
I didn't edit my post hoping that mods hadn't seen it, actually I'm pretty sure some mods saw it I noticed myself that I went too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
In the same respect, you should reflect on what you're just about to post, before doing so.
If someone tells you to f off you don't reply "I love you", do you

Anyways. Let's give this a rest and focus on the subject. I appologize if I went too far, just got pissed. Sorry

Last edited by ILoveYou; 12-11-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #46

You know, I have never wanted to play Doom 3, but after sethsez described the way lighting was used, I'm almost tempted to play it!

Great explanation and opinion.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou
If someone tells you to f off you don't reply "I love you", do you
Nobody told you to "f off" (and you tell me not to read between the lines). Nobody said anything remotely resembling that. If I missed the point you were making, you could have said it in a nice way instead of flipping out.

It's now dropped.

As for the lighting in Doom 3, make no mistake, it's the only part I consider inspired. The rest of the game is really just Half-Life (the original) all over again. I wouldn't recommend playing it just for the lighting, but if lighting as a visual style interests you then Doom 3 is, in my opinion, one of the absolute best examples you can find in a game. Quake IV doesn't really come close.

Last edited by sethsez; 12-11-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #48

Quote:
James Pond 2: Robocod was excellent on Amiga, and it's excellent on GBA too, I bought it about six months ago when Play.com was selling it with a cheap price.

And they are still selling it: http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&...A&title=122367

Kind of weird if they are re-releasing the same game on DS also?
Though there is no mention of a DS version on the Play it! website.
Yeah, on the Amiga, Robocod was damn good, but on the GBA the game had completely changed. And instead of rescuing penguins, you rescued santa's helpers. The levels aren't even the same. Completely dissapointed.

An actual sequel would be good. And change the gameplay elements again, it's become a routine to do that in the series. JP2 was completely different from JP1 and JP3 was completely different from JP2.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #49
A Servicable Villain

I fear that I'm stepping into this topic WAY after it has gone and lost its validity, but I'm going to comment on something SquareJaw said anyway:

Animation. It's so important to a game. In fact, A few months ago I wrote a hotdamned complete and awesome paper on the topic; aided by none other than MARK HAMER, animator at Double Fine. Okay, he was kind enough to answer some of the questions I emailed him, but the point is: he's in the paper.

Now, if you're all really sweet, I might just give you a link to where you can download it in PDF format.*

*Of course it's in English. School gave me the option; did you think I'd go for Dutch?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #50
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Yeah, on the Amiga, Robocod was damn good, but on the GBA the game had completely changed. And instead of rescuing penguins, you rescued santa's helpers. The levels aren't even the same. Completely dissapointed.
I noticed the part that you rescue Santa's helpers for some odd reason instead of Penguins, but I haven't noticed any level changes, maybe it's been too long since I played the original...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #51
TM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I'll just pitch in and say that like Squarejaw, my complete indifference to next gen games is matched only by the sheer amount of polygons being thrown at their HD screens...

If it wasn't for the promise of the next Nintendo, I'd be worried.

Regarding animation, apart from the obvious need for more attention to detail and character - something like this, I think, is the solution.
Those little animations are truly next-gen! And I liked the points he made in the articles. Big-time developers, learn from this!!!
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 12-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM3
Those little animations are truly next-gen! And I liked the points he made in the articles. Big-time developers, learn from this!!!
I should perhaps clarify: I wrote the article and made those animations.

So thanks. Glad you liked it.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #53
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
I noticed the part that you rescue Santa's helpers for some odd reason instead of Penguins, but I haven't noticed any level changes, maybe it's been too long since I played the original...
It did have penguins, but I think they removed them for a reason, back then there was a pastry called "Penguin" which endorsed the game, so maybe they removed them to avoid paying them royalties?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #54
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
so maybe they removed them to avoid paying them royalties?
P-p-p-paying them royalties.

Sorry.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 AM   #55

Late to this topic but I have some stuff I want to say and a couple of good articles you might want to read.

My problem with next next-gen rush towards realism in games is that the closer you make your graphics to the real thing the more people are going to expect the little details to be absolutely perfect. Therefore animation, AI and texturing will have to have hours of attention spent on them to even get close enough to be realistic. Not many games developers have the time or a big enough number of employees to do these realistic games justice.

I hope developers will forget about the extra power that is available to them for graphics and start developing games from the bottom up concentrating on gameplay before they even think about creating fancy graphics (unfortunately i think thats impossible at the moment with the way publishers handle developers).

I also wish they would concentrate on aesthetically pleasing artistic/visual design that does not need to have amazing textures or realsim to impress people.

I found these too articles which think say very much what I think the biggest problem with the new next-gen graphics will be.

http://www.slate.com/id/2132591/fr/rss/

http://blogs.popmatters.com/marginal...ox-of-realism/