You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General PS2 Games for my little brother

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
More slaw!!!

Default PS2 Games for my little brother

Much to my disappointment, my little brother has just bought a PS2. I want to get a game for him, but my opinion of most PS2 games is so low, that I can't find a single game that I think is worth getting for him.

It has to be one that isn't violent or anything that would get an M rating (don't know what that's classed as in other countries), and I would prefer something that is story based, rather than what most PS2 games seem to be, running around shooting things.

Preferrably an adventure game, but there dont' seem to many. Our store has Fahrenheit and BS3, but one is rated MA, the other M, so those are out of the question.

Suggestions?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

How young is he? The PS2 doesn't really have many kid games...

Looking for an adventure game on the PS2 is hard, but looking for non-mature rated one is nigh impossible!

Better buy him something like Crash Bandicoot or Spryo, or Super Monkey Ball...

Hmm, there is a company that produces LOW quality kid games for the PS2, but I can't remember the name now...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
More slaw!!!

Well, he's not that little... 11 years old. He's not allowed to play any games rated M or higher though, says mum, and personally I'd rather encoruage him to play games that have more value than violence, or mindlessly collecting points, etc, ie: adventure games.

He had a spyro game on SP that he never really played, and I'm hopefully looking for something that has, in my mind, more 'value' than a game like Crash etc.

Maybe I'll just keep sending him PC games.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
ACK!

Beyond Good & Evil has a rating of 7+ here in Spain, I think he'd enjoy it...

I'd rather buy him the PC version though...
Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
More slaw!!!

Yeah, I was about to send him my PC copy of BG&E, thought he'd like it. That being said, I had considered it though I had thought it to only be on Xbox, as I've seen heaps of copies of it on xbox, but never on PS2. Wonder if it came out on PS2 here, I'll have to look into that.

I'll definately get that for him if I can.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:21 AM   #6
ACK!

Odd, the PS2 version is much more common over here...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:50 AM   #7

You should consider the Sly Racoon trilogy. I've only played the second and its a fun game, definitely kid friendly with a good story and great gameplay.

And of course: ICO and Shadow of Colossus

And I think Psychonauts is coming out in Europe any time now

Last edited by wilco; 12-30-2005 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Shadow of Destiny/Shadow of Memories looks good to me. I sadly can't speak from experience, since I don't have a Playstation 2 (my sister has one, but not the game), but from the description it sounds interesting.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Shadow of Destiny/Shadow of Memories looks good to me. I sadly can't speak from experience, since I don't have a Playstation 2 (my sister has one, but not the game), but from the description it sounds interesting.

-
Well, not having a PS2 is no excuse here. Not when there's a PC version available (though you may have to hunt for it nowadays)...

I happen not to have a PS2, so I'm having trouble thinking of worthwhile titles. Most of the PS2 titles that have ever interested me are also available on the PC.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
most PS2 games seem to be, running around shooting things.
... There's more.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Theres no benifit to getting Shadow Of Memories for the pc so it would be a good choice for the PS2, its rated 11+ in the UK

Kingdom of hearts
might be a good choice, its a mixture between final fantasy characters and Disney characters so you should be safe there
The battle system is also a bit more direct control than Final Fantasy games, its also allot more fun

Theres Kolona thats been mentioned in another thread

Gregory Horror Show....Its hard to say, Its not really violent but theres hints of it, its worth checking out though. It kinda like an adventure

And theres always Escape From Monkey Island for the PS2

And Veiwtiful Joe is good

Disgaea is fun, the Dialouge is great

Ive heard ICO is supposed to be really good...dont know if theres any violence in it but it doesnt sound like there would

Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Is also good, theres not really any blood since its sand monsters your fighting

Im sure theres more but i cant really think of them atm
Old 12-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #12

I'm going to have to echo the suggestion of "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time". It's an amazing game, which is rated T. The game doesn't have anything that would not be suitable for an 11-year old, and it's an amazingly good game that I would consider one of my favourites of all time.

However, the sequels "Warrior Within" and "The Two Thrones" wouldn't really be suited for an 11-year old, due to more mature content and an increasingly intricate plot.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM   #13

Klonoa 2

We Love Katamari

Ratchet & Clank
Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Preferrably an adventure game, but there dont' seem to many. Our store has Fahrenheit and BS3, but one is rated MA, the other M, so those are out of the question.
Kick me if I'm forgetting some mature content, but Broken Sword 3 is a rather harmless fun, isn't it? Way more suitable to minors than some other recommendations I've seen here, I think...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:58 AM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Try the Sly Cooper series (3 games). A wonderful cell shaded platforming game.

More recently, I have been playing Dragon Quest 8, and that definitely can also be enjoyed by the young ones.

There is also the Ratchet and Clank series (3 games).

Get the first Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy. (the other 2 are crap).

Kingdom Hearts is a fun RPG with Disney characters.

All these games have light hearted themes, cartoony graphics, and can be enjoyed by all ages, so dissing the PS2 as a console for adults only is a little short sighted.

Firefox rules
Old 12-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #16
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

The original Sly Cooper is story based, not violent, cleverly thought out, brilliantly designed, and extremely FUN. Those who don't appreciate platforms have agreed to love this, and many people consider it near perfection.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #17
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Well, not having a PS2 is no excuse here. Not when there's a PC version available (though you may have to hunt for it nowadays)...

I happen not to have a PS2, so I'm having trouble thinking of worthwhile titles. Most of the PS2 titles that have ever interested me are also available on the PC.

Well, before now I didn't even know that this game existed. I did some research to see what adventure games there are for the PS2, and then looked at the summary/review and the rating.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #18
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Well, before now I didn't even know that this game existed. I did some research to see what adventure games there are for the PS2, and then looked at the summary/review and the rating.

-
Well jolly well go and play it!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
More slaw!!!

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will check them out.

I've never seen BG&E on PS2 before, but a used copy came into our store just two days ago actually. It must be a bit rarer here, because they are charging more than double the price than they do for the used xbox version.

Will look into these games. Sly 3 is half price at the moment, so I will see if that's any good.

AFGNCAAP - Yeah, I didn't particularly think there would be much bad in it, but I haven't played it to know what it got the M15+ rating for. Mum won't let him play any M rated games though, which is fair enough. I suspect the game is harmless enough, kinda like Runaway perhaps which got an M rating for drug use and mild violence (and I recall there only being one scene which could pass for violent).

He got Ratchet & Clank 3 with the PS2, it seems like your average run around pointlessly game to me.

Definately look into Sands of Time as well.

I get the feeling games like Shadow of Destiny & Ico weren't released in Australia, at least I can;t seem to find them.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #20
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will check them out.

I've never seen BG&E on PS2 before, but a used copy came into our store just two days ago actually. It must be a bit rarer here, because they are charging more than double the price than they do for the used xbox version.

Will look into these games. Sly 3 is half price at the moment, so I will see if that's any good.

AFGNCAAP - Yeah, I didn't particularly think there would be much bad in it, but I haven't played it to know what it got the M15+ rating for. Mum won't let him play any M rated games though, which is fair enough. I suspect the game is harmless enough, kinda like Runaway perhaps which got an M rating for drug use and mild violence (and I recall there only being one scene which could pass for violent).

He got Ratchet & Clank 3 with the PS2, it seems like your average run around pointlessly game to me.

Definately look into Sands of Time as well.

I get the feeling games like Shadow of Destiny & Ico weren't released in Australia, at least I can;t seem to find them.

Dont forget kingdom hearts, its really worth checking out