You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
WTF? It's out this week, foolios!
Could you supply a source for that please?

Edit: I think what Rob was talking about in terms of it not being around for Christmas is the fact that Microsoft shipped a limited number to stores here in the US and if the same thing happens in the UK coupled with a potential recall, it could prevent it from being available.

Last edited by Melanie68; 11-28-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #42
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Could you supply a source for that please?
At least in Finland it supposed to be coming out on Friday, today some ad came from one of the cheapass stores that sell stuff cheaper than other stores. I guess I'll go watch if people are as crazy for it here as the people in US were.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #43
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah. So why should this be any more pointed out than any other console?
Because it just launched. Don't you remember when the PS2 launched it was all about the disc scratching?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #44
merely human

Yeah. So now it's pick-on-the-latest-console time again, eh?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #45
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah. So now it's pick-on-the-latest-console time again, eh?
Just how it goes.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #46
merely human

Ah well.

T3h Xbox 360 is t3h gh3y!!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 PM   #47
Banned User

Been spending a little too much time around SamNMax have we?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #48
Homer of Kittens

Speaking of launches did you guys see the 360 launch titles for Japan? Instead of the 18 US ones, there are 6:
Every Party
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
Ridge Racer 6
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Tetris: The Grandmaster Ace

And backward compatibility is less in Japan than it is in the US.

Pretty strange, seeing how Microsoft keeps talking about invading the Japanese market.

Firefox rules
Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 PM   #49
Banned User

I don't know why they bother. They don't need the japanese market.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:06 PM   #50
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't know why they bother. They don't need the japanese market.
Second country in gaming is not a small market. So if they want growth, Japanese market is very important.

Firefox rules
Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #51
Banned User

No it's not. They can make plenty of money off of North America and Europe.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #52
merely human

Quote:
Been spending a little too much time around SamNMax have we?
The little bitch is Scottsie's and my adoptive son now. Familial obligations, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Second country in gaming is not a small market. So if they want growth, Japanese market is very important.
I bet MS also wanted a strategic move to keep Nintendo at bay as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #53
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
No it's not. They can make plenty of money off of North America and Europe.
How can you say it's not important when there are 3+ million gamers in Japan, the second most in the world after the US. Is that a small number to try to tap into? Plus, more Japanese gamers means more third party Japanese titles, which will make the console appeal to US and European gamers even more (potentially increasing the sales in those 2 continents).

Firefox rules
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #54
Banned User

Well, i'm not the only one who thinks so. Pick up any gaming magazine or listen to any game related pod casts where they talk about Microsoft in Japan. They all feel that Japan isn't needed to be a success. As for Japanese games, who wants them? I can't stand them, and most people who own an xbox can't stand them either. If they wanted those kinds of games, they would have bought a PS2 or gamecube.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #55
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccsie
How can you say it's not important when there are 3+ million gamers in Japan, the second most in the world after the US. Is that a small number to try to tap into? Plus, more Japanese gamers means more third party Japanese titles, which will make the console appeal to US and European gamers even more (potentially increasing the sales in those 2 continents).
Yep. Microsoft needs to woo the Japanese market on that market's own terms, which means advertisements you may never see here in the U.S. What can work is them establishing a culture of gaming on Xbox that they can't otherwise experience on PS3 or Nintendolution.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #56
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
As for Japanese games, who wants them? I can't stand them, and most people who own an xbox can't stand them either. If they wanted those kinds of games, they would have bought a PS2 or gamecube.
Are you forgetting that the XBOX was second last year in the console race in terms of sale? And that Microsoft lost 4 billion dollars on it? So Microsoft really can't only bank on XBOX fanboys to win the console wars. If you ask anyone why the PS2 was the most popular last gen, they would tell you because of its game library.
Those Japanese games and gamers and even the PS2 and Nintendo fanboys, are important for the market lead. The more rich the library of games a console has, the better its chances of getting more people to buy it.

Firefox rules
Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #57
Banned User

The Japanese market is racist. They wont support anything from a western country.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #58
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Are you forgetting that the XBOX was second last year in the console race in terms of sale? And that Microsoft lost 4 billion dollars on it? So Microsoft really can't only bank on XBOX fanboys to win the console wars. If you ask anyone why the PS2 was the most popular last gen, they would tell you because of its game library.
Those Japanese games and gamers and even the PS2 and Nintendo fanboys, are important for the market lead. The more rich the library of games a console has, the better its chances of getting more people to buy it.
That had more to do with being released a year later then PS2 than it had to do with Japan. And what's wrong with second place? The xbox wasn't a failure by any means.

Oh yeah, and the PS2 library had a lot of shit in it.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:35 PM   #59
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Has it occurred to anyone that the lack of many of the US launch titles for the Japanese launch might just be because those particular games aren't popular enough to merit a release? I really can't see the Japanese being interested in Madden, for instance...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #60
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Has it occurred to anyone that the lack of many of the US launch titles for the Japanese launch might just be because those particular games aren't popular enough to merit a release? I really can't see the Japanese being interested in Madden, for instance...
Yup. We know.