You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Piracy is getting "Serious"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #101
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I agree piracy is a bad thing, unless you want to get hold of some old games which you cant buy anymore, then I make an exeption.
I would quote what LauraMac wrote in an earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Mac
As for games no longer being published, the same applies to books out of print, if they become collector items they sell for prices higher than their original purchase price,. So if a book becomes rare and hard to get - should people use that shortage to justify copying it on a machine or downloading it to read for free? If a vintage shirt became pricy and hard to find, you would shoplift the shirt because - people are making money off a used shirt and taking advantage of the fact that it's popular and rare? How dare they!

so what you are saying is that if a game becomes "hard to find" meaning you can't afford a copy or find one - you should be able to get it by any means? There is no entitlement to something that is the product of another person's hard work and creativity - just because you want it. People who take something - just because they want it and can't or won't buy it - are thieves.

There are very few things that can't be obtained through legitimate means if you want it badly enough to pay the price, if you aren't willing to pay the price - then you do without, Assuming you aren't a child who thinks wanting something means you should have it - the law and others rights be damned.
That's part of the fun with old games is the hunt so to speak. Instant gratification is not always a good thing.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #102
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I would quote what LauraMac wrote in an earlier post:

That's part of the fun with old games is the hunt so to speak. Instant gratification is not always a good thing.
I'm talking about things that aren't even collectors items, they have gone past that stage and are extinct (sp?), of course if I could find the game I want on ebay no matter the price, I would rather buy it than download it. And is it just me or did that point about the shirt not make sense?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #103
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
I'm talking about things that aren't even collectors items, they have gone past that stage and are extinct (sp?), of course if I could find the game I want on ebay no matter the price, I would rather buy it than download it. And is it just me or did that point about the shirt not make sense?
There's such a thing as vintage clothing

<slightly off topic or maybe a lot>

*carry on*
Old 10-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #104
Hitch-Hiker

How can someone compare dirty ol' clothes to a computer game?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #105
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
No he didn't, he just compared other crimes to theft, not piracy, to point out that just becuase piracy isn't theft, it's still illegal....
Lets break it down.

1. He made an analogy, from murder to incitement of racism to Copyright Infringement.
2. He did not compare murder and racism to theft. Apart from them both being illegal.
3. He did not point out Copyright Infringement was not theft, he is clearly replying to that very fact, by stating how it does not change whether it's ethical or not to him. RLacey confirms this.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why some people think that it's only morally wrong to pirate games if it equates to literal theft (and, to be honest, we're really getting into a semantic argument here).
Copyright Infringement can still be morally wrong even though it doesn't equate to theft. Literal theft? Come on... read the dictionary already.
Quote:
Murder isn't theft, but it is illegal and I hope that none of you would consider doing it. Incitement of racial hatred isn't theft, but it certainly hurts people and, again, I hope that none of you would consider doing it.
Murder isn't theft, but it's still wrong. Duh...
Racism isn't theft, but it's still wrong because it hurts people. Oh god, really? I had no idea.
Quote:
If piracy is illegal, and it hurts developers and publishers from a business point of view, then why is it suddenly a law that people feel they can break on a whim?
Murder is wrong although it's not theft, racism is wrong because it hurts people, Copyright Infringement also hurts people (financially, but come on, your life and your money, the same thing). OMG! It's almost like Copyright Infringement is murder!

This is called an analogy. RLacey has now posted that this was a joke, but I have to say if this is the case, RLacey sucks at posting jokes.

Last edited by Aj_; 10-23-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #106
Hitch-Hiker

Why don't we just give up this whole ''We hate piracy'' thing and all join in becoming the greatest pirates on the planet. May Guybrush lead us.

God help us all.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #107
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
This is called an analogy. RLacey has now posted that this was a joke, but I have to say if this is the case, RLacey sucks at posting jokes.
Well, I said I was being facetious; what I was actually referring to was my decision to take extreme examples of law-breaking to show that something doesn't have to be theft to be illegal. Either way, I do also suck at making jokes, though.

Yes, everyone, Aj_ has the gist of what I was saying.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #108
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Good, can you now explain to me what I was saying? Half the time I don't know.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 PM   #109
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I was making the entirely facetious point that a crime doesn't have to be theft to be both illegal and morally wrong, and was doing so in response to some people's suggestions that piracy isn't morally wrong because you're only hurting rich corporations...
I'd still like to know who these "some people" you talk about are.