You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General WTF! A $4,500 Xbox 360 bundle?!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
merely human

Default WTF! A $4,500 Xbox 360 bundle?!!

I think this is such a fricking scam!

New Xbox 360 bundles: For richer, for poorer

Quote:
One of the major complaints about retailers' bundles are the limited choices of extras. Most don't appear to target a specific gamer, such as the sports fan or action fan, bundling games from disparate genres, such as realistic racer Project Gotham Racing 3 with kid-friendly Kameo: Elements of Power.

Of course, someone somewhere (perhaps the Sultan of Dubai) harped about the fact that these bundles don't have enough and should include everything, cost be damned.

Both of these complaints were recently addressed with the announcements of two very different bundles from two very different retailers.

Costco has announced its first Xbox 360 bundle, which has lit up message boards ("Other game sites should feel embarrassed" reads one, post) because of its gamer-friendly price. The $479.99 deal includes the Xbox 360 Premium package, a bonus wireless controller, a play-and-charge kit for the controller, and Project Gotham Racing 3. By contrast, GameStop's cheapest bundle is $699, and it only features the HDD-less version of the console. However, the price is only available to those with a Costco membership. A nonmember price adds 5 percent, for a price tag of just over $500.

The difference between this bundle and other previously announced bundles? Value. The total retail price of each component combined would total just under $520, before tax. Other deals cost more than $600 and save gamers just under 20 dollars.

For those gamers who recently won a state lottery or had a wealthy relative kick the bucket, GameStop offers a deluxe version of their Omega bundle. The standard Omega bundle, which is priced at $2,000, already includes the Xbox 360 Premium Pack, 20 games, three additional wireless controllers, and just about every accessory announced.

The new deal costs a whopping $4,499. So what does the extra $2,499 get gamers? After working with Dell, GameStop has added a 42-inch plasma monitor to the bundle, making it almost everything a hardcore gamer will need with just one click. However, the deal apparently won't save gamers much more than that extra mouse click. The 42-inch screen retails for the difference--$2,499--from Dell's Web site.
For one thing, you're not allowed to choose which games you get. I'm definitely interested in Oblivion and PGR3, but don't give a damn about fricking Tony Hawk or Madden 2006. Why don't they just give you vouchers to redeem for games that you actually want to have?

Personally, even if I did have $4500 to burn, screw that! I'd use $2500 of it for a new 360, some games, and a modestly sized HDTV, and then I'd donate the remainder to humanitarian causes (like AIDS orphans in Africa).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
SamNMax

Hm. Can't imagine why you'd want that. I'm getting a bundle better than both of those.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
merely human

Um, because I know what I want?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
SamNMax

I don't mean "you" as in "Trep" I mean "you" as in "anyone".

Wake me up before you go go.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
merely human

'Cause I'm not plannin' on going solo.

These bundles are usually pimped to non-hardcore gamers with lots of money and the insecurity to show themselves off.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
SamNMax

"Faith" is better.

Old 10-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
merely human

I loved 'Careless Whispers' me self.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
SamNMax

It's funny how threads get off topic when we discuss George Michael

Old 10-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

I am selling a 360 for a whooping $1,005,302.23. It includes a whole house in the deal, a sports car, a bathroom detergent, and the console itself. If you buy them all seperately they will cost you 1,000,4,000.00 but you will be ripped off because you didn't buy a "bundle".

Firefox rules
Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #10
OB

Do I get a tube of toothpaste with that deal or can I substitute gel? What brand and don't tell me it's gonna be one of those travel bag sized ones. I want the two tubes for the price of one deal and with the free toothbrush on the side one.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
merely human

You're not allowed to which toothpaste or toothbrush. Do they let you choose which games you get? No. Pay up.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
How am I not myself?

Can I pay in a different form of currency? possibly mud?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #13
OB

Only gravel is accepted from what I hear...that's what I heard via the grapevine that is. And, it must be special gravel from just outside Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Lots of dirt/gravel driveways in that part of the US, so you should have no trouble in finding it. What a bargain!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 AM   #14
Ankh Morporkian

my cat's breath smells like catfood
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It's a stupid deal. And it's a stupid deal that nobody in their right mind would take up. So I can't really see what we're complaining about - it's not like the company is lying about the contents of the package, and if people are too lazy to price check then they deserve to pay more.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
It's a stupid deal. And it's a stupid deal that nobody in their right mind would take up. So I can't really see what we're complaining about - it's not like the company is lying about the contents of the package, and if people are too lazy to price check then they deserve to pay more.
You'd be AMAZED at how many stupid people with tons of money exist out there.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #17
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Maybe it's a status thingy too - "I get only the BEST package deal, since I can afford it." Bragging rights!

Lynsie
Old 10-03-2005, 03:38 PM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek83
my cat's breath smells like catfood
Try feeding it people food and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Try feeding it people and see what happens.
you'd like that wouldn't you

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 10-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #20
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

If I had that much money, I'd rather buy a Sega Saturn, Vectrex, Intellivision, Game.com, Colecovision, C-64, Amiga 1200, Atari ST, Jaguar, Neo Geo, Pc Engine, a Virtual Boy and a WonderSwan, and I'd blow the rest on old games...