You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Shadowgate Classic review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
fov
Rattenmonster

Default Shadowgate Classic review

Congrats, Brad, on a great first article. Who's got the champagne?!

Too bad the game was so... eh.

Out of curiosity, what kind of cell phone were you playing with? It's interesting that the distribution of the game is limited by carrier... I thought most cell phone games would work on certain types of phones no matter who your carrier is. Does this have something to do with the large download size?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
OB

Although, the negative review may have come about because of the platform, I'll have to say I completely disagree with the remarks about the game itself. I have fond memories of playing Shadowgate, as well as, Deja Vu and The Uninvited on the NES. To this day they are still some of the hardest games I've played and still three of my favorites.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Always nice to get another debut article up. Thanks, Brad.

The platform was only part of the criticism of the game. There's a big difference between a game being good 15, 10, or even 5 years ago and being good now. This wasn't a review of an old game, but a NEW game just released. As Brad said, the game will have a high nostalgia factor for those who liked it originally. For everyone else...
Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the congrats.

I played on an LG phone that had a nice large screen.

Due to the large size of the game (one meg or higher), they go back to the server a lot for game bits (images, sounds). So the provider has to host the backend parts, and allow the phone to do network transfers. Also, some providers make it difficult to download stuff unless you use their store to do it.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Oldschool Adventure Gamer

Default 50% new puzzles?

The review stated that there were, and I quote, "approximately 50% new puzzles". Has anybody played this version all the way through, and can attest to the quality of these new puzzles, or if they even exist?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMorris
Due to the large size of the game (one meg or higher), they go back to the server a lot for game bits (images, sounds). So the provider has to host the backend parts, and allow the phone to do network transfers. Also, some providers make it difficult to download stuff unless you use their store to do it.
Does that use up daytime minutes?

Welcome to the forum, dubleg. I'm sure if Brad said in his review that there are new puzzles, then there are. He'd have to be the one to comment on their quality, though.

Anyone else played this game?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

Yes, welcome, dubleg.

The publisher's press materials for the game specifically refers to new puzzles. Not that anyone would suggest a publisher is an impartial observer, but they can't blatantly advertise what isn't true. I know the 50% number was an estimation, though (gotta love the word "approximately"! )

You could always take a glance at the walkthrough linked to in the review for a general sense of what's new, or how much.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:10 AM   #8
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

Although the qualities of the review are undeniable, I, as many people here, I am sure, would be far more interested in a review of a pc game. The experience of playing a game on the pc is far more compelling, and adventure is a mostly pc genre.

And, as a side note, what happened to flashback fridays? It was a pleasant experience to dive into the sea of memories once a week.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Although the qualities of the review are undeniable, I, as many people here, I am sure, would be far more interested in a review of a pc game. The experience of playing a game on the pc is far more compelling, and adventure is a mostly pc genre.
Do you mean you would have preferred a review of the PC version of this game, or would prefer a review of any PC game over a review of a game that's played on a cell phone?

Quote:
And, as a side note, what happened to flashback fridays? It was a pleasant experience to dive into the sea of memories once a week.
E3 happened.

Don't worry. They'll be back.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

I'd prefer a review of a game that is played on pc since, in my opinion, it is far more appropriate a platform for adventure games than cell phones.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
Many on the forums, maybe. But don't underestimate how fast the mobile gaming market is growing. In any case, it's not an either/or situation. It's not like we're neglecting PC games to cover mobile ones. The goal is to cover ALL new adventure releases, regardless of the platform. The purpose, after all, is to help people make buying decisions.

Quote:
Ask again on Friday... Hey, that's tomorrow! Not long to wait, then.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubleg
The review stated that there were, and I quote, "approximately 50% new puzzles". Has anybody played this version all the way through, and can attest to the quality of these new puzzles, or if they even exist?
Yes. I played all the way through (though I did get help once or twice), and there are approximately 50% new puzzles. The new puzzles are OK, though there are some things I didn't like about them. For example, one puzzle involved levers that effected other rooms in the castle. The problem is that after you pull a lever, you have to run around to other rooms to see what happened.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #13
Oldschool Adventure Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMorris
Yes. I played all the way through (though I did get help once or twice), and there are approximately 50% new puzzles. The new puzzles are OK, though there are some things I didn't like about them. For example, one puzzle involved levers that effected other rooms in the castle. The problem is that after you pull a lever, you have to run around to other rooms to see what happened.

Ah, I see. Guess I'm just desperate to break some new ground in an ICOM-style adventure, it's been so long.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the warm welcome!