You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
fire breathing

Default paradise

this looks great!!
I'm so glad you guys are giving this game in-depth coverage. Keep up the good work!

btw, I luuuvveed the syberia games, so I've been tracking Benoit Sokal for a while now....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
Epinionated.

Yeah, same here. His footprints in the snow are very distinct. Could you do me a favour and save some room on that branch? I'm pretty sure there's a great view into his study from there, and the ol' rifle's got quite a good range.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
merely human

So does my frying pan, hon.

squaresie

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #4
merely human

Sounds like an enchanting, almost fairytale like, story. One that I'd like to experience.

But let's get real here, I got bored with the CLINICAL LACK of interactivity in Syberia: look but don't touch. I liked everything else about it except that, and I felt like I was viewing the world under glass.

Let's hope Paradise is anything BUT that. Looking forward to it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Having loved Syberia I & II, and Amerzone, I am definitely looking forward to Paradise. I do wish it wasn't using the hackneyed old amnesia plot, but, oh, well... I'm sure the game will be worth it. Screenshots look good, as expected, from Benoit Sokal. I just had the thought that this is almost a combination of Amerzone and Syberia - traveling girl meets jungle with strange animals. Hmmm...

Anyway - good preview, Laura, can't wait!

Lynsie
Old 06-10-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
FMZ

I just wish this game in 3rd person instead of 1st person....i hate 1st person adventure games, and have never played one so far.

Anybody knows this game is a 1st or 3rd person adventure game?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:25 AM   #7
Fulci lives

Have you guys read Benoit Sokal comics?
I´ve got some of them in my attic, maybe i should go and get them.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMZ
I just wish this game in 3rd person instead of 1st person....i hate 1st person adventure games, and have never played one so far.

Anybody knows this game is a 1st or 3rd person adventure game?
Paradise is 3rd person.

I won't even ask how you know you hate 1st person games if you've never played one.

Welcome to AG, by the way!
Old 06-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
Have you guys read Benoit Sokal comics?
I´ve got some of them in my attic, maybe i should go and get them.
Oh I've read all of his Canardo comics except his latest album, which I happened to loan from the library just today.

Hmm, except the #13 album Le buveur en Col blanc seems to be missing, it has not been translated in to finnish for some reason.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 06-10-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #10
FMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Paradise is 3rd person.

I won't even ask how you know you hate 1st person games if you've never played one.

Welcome to AG, by the way!
Well I have but for like 10-20 minutes...7th Guest and Myst
Never liked the 1st person persprective
Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #11

I adored Syberia 1 and 2, so I'm looking foward to Paradise.

Sometimes I wonder, though, if their heart is really in adventure games. I'll happily play any game they make, but I rather think that what they really want to do, in their heart of hearts, is animated movies. Never a sure thing, I know, success in one genre does not predict success in another genre - who went from being a success in games to a success in films! Still for all, sometimes I think they'd really just like to tell a great beautiful linear and evocative story without that messy gameplay. So, I'll be interested to read any new news about them (possibly) making a movie - new partner? I remember reading that they wanted to get into making movies.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
Still for all, sometimes I think they'd really just like to tell a great beautiful linear and evocative story without that messy gameplay.
That pretty much sums them up.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:48 AM   #13
Bearly Here

In all fairness, I don't think you can "sum White Birds up" while they are still adding produuct into the equation.

It is true that story telling is a strength of their work, [which could favor their movie efforts] while highly interactive gameplay is an area that has been neglected. [either deliberately or not - I won't speculate]

But at E3, we were told and shown things that bode well for a full rich engaging game. Two playable characters, more densely populated game worlds, increased speaking characters, highly detailed environments -- all promise a deeper interaction within the game play. Of course, won't know for a fact til the game releases - if all that "promise" is realized. [applies to ANY game - Indigo, DreamFall or Paradise]

But, I am happy to wait and see.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
But at E3, we were told and shown things that bode well for a full rich engaging game. Two playable characters, more densely populated game worlds, increased speaking characters, highly detailed environments -- all promise a deeper interaction within the game play. Of course, won't know for a fact til the game releases - if all that "promise" is realized. [applies to ANY game - Indigo, DreamFall or Paradise]

But, I am happy to wait and see.
I hope so, I'd like more game in my game, LOL. I look forward to it.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
Elegantly copy+pasted

I read the Canardo comics about ten years ago. I remember them as quite a bit more "earthy" (i.e. vulgar) than Sokal's current image. Very interesting stuff, though.

As an aside: Trep and SJH, now that your avatars are so similar, it's almost impossible to tell the two of you apart.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Epinionated.

Strangely, Trep's the straight one.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:02 PM   #17

Oh, I'll happily play Paradise and any game that White Bird Productions does.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 AM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm vaguely keeping an eye on this one. If they actually have some game this time then it could be worth looking at...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #19

Thanks for the well written and informative preview, it made me look forward to this game even more. It strikes me that there are lots of adventure games I look forward to right now - Paradise, Keepsake, Fahrenheit, Bone, Juniper Crescent, Vampyre Story, pretty much everything from Kheops,.... maybe these aren't such bad times for adventure games after all.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 AM   #20

adventure-treff.de has some new screenshots.
I think they are from chapter 2 of the game, the Molgrave Village.

http://www.adventure-treff.de/images...ots&galerie=79