You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Fate of Atlantis review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #1
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor
Default Fate of Atlantis review

Hooray!

Excellent review, Claire This being, in my opinion, easily one of the greatest adventures ever, I am quite satisfied. I have to wonder what happened to that last half a star, though... And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not complaining It's just that I couldn't find any negative points listed in the review except that it should be played with ScummVM on normal systems, which isn't a flaw in the game itself.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-16-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
LA-S-LE

Can't agree more. Exellent and objective review to the exellent game. Though I guess half star goes to the fighting sequences which are not very good integrated (but well, you can skip them, all right).
Old 10-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #3
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I have to wonder what happened to that last half a star, though... And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not complaining It's just that I couldn't find any negative points listed in the review except that it should be played with ScummVM on normal systems, which isn't a flaw in the game itself.
Well, all stars would mean the game's perfect and that nothing could make it better. I think it's very difficult to give a game a score of 100% because somehow things can always be improved.

--Erwin
Old 10-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I know, but I have to admit that on the whole I don't put much stock in AG's star ratings. Looking at their reviews index always confuses me.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 10-17-2003, 01:58 AM   #5
Liver of Life

Yah! Top notch (and highly accurate) review to a top notch game.

Arguably, my favorite game of all time, adventure and non-adventure and I've YET to finish it!
Old 10-17-2003, 05:07 AM   #6
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

When you compare Grim Fandango to the Fate of Atlantis, one will stand out as an overall better game. And yet they got the same score. I will repeat the need for a better Grim Fandango review (five full stars) until Stinger throws me off this forum.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:18 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
When you compare Grim Fandango to the Fate of Atlantis, one will stand out as an overall better game. And yet they got the same score. I will repeat the need for a better Grim Fandango review (five full stars) until Stinger throws me off this forum.
Hmmm, I disagree. I think both games are more or less equal, if you don't count technical issues such as old graphics, midi music and such.

I'd say Grim deserves 4 1/4 stars and Indy 4.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 05:26 AM   #8
Liver of Life

Quote:
I remember once it being mentioned by one of the AG staff members how their scores aren't meant to compare games, as much as they are meant to rate a game.

Just because two games have the same score doesn't mean they're of the same quality. There are a variety of other factors to consider. For example, FoA was made a good half a decade before Grim Fandango.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:05 AM   #9
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode
I remember once it being mentioned by one of the AG staff members how their scores aren't meant to compare games, as much as they are meant to rate a game.

Just because two games have the same score doesn't mean they're of the same quality. There are a variety of other factors to consider. For example, FoA was made a good half a decade before Grim Fandango.
Plus it's impossible to compare scores, because the reviews are written by different persons.

--Erwin
Old 10-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #10
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Someone (possibly me) needs to track down the PC talkie version of this. I've only ever played the Amiga version, and it was let down badly by a fairly ropy conversion. As a result, it's always seemed a bit inferior to me, although I played it to the end "happily" enough...

Ignoring the Amiga-specific problems, though, four-and-a-half stars seems about right - the multiple-paths aspect alone was a great innovation.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 AM   #11
Adventure Gamer

Good review. You deserve a fine leather jacket for that one....

--BPF
Old 10-17-2003, 07:46 AM   #12
Headbanger

Great review on one of the best games ever made (the beavis and butthead review was also intresting, I got to play that game).
Old 10-17-2003, 09:09 AM   #13

Indiana Jones was my first LucasArts adventure game. It is a really good game. But having said that, I think Grim Fandango is waaaaaaaay better. But that's just me.

Though I am surprised that GF didn't get 5 stars because it really is one of the best adventure game ever made....

(edit): Oh, and nice review!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:22 AM   #14
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Someone (possibly me) needs to track down the PC talkie version of this. I've only ever played the Amiga version, and it was let down badly by a fairly ropy conversion. As a result, it's always seemed a bit inferior to me, although I played it to the end "happily" enough...

Ignoring the Amiga-specific problems, though, four-and-a-half stars seems about right - the multiple-paths aspect alone was a great innovation.
You can buy the PC Talkie version from the Lucas Arts store, here. But it does come with two other games and hence costs more than you might be willing to pay...
Old 10-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #15
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
You can buy the PC Talkie version from the Lucas Arts store, here. But it does come with two other games and hence costs more than you might be willing to pay...
Yeah, and they only ship the US... nice try though, thanks.

Since my money isn't good enough for 'em, I'll probably obtain it via certain other channels...
Old 10-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #16
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Yeah, and they only ship the US... nice try though, thanks.

Since my money isn't good enough for 'em, I'll probably obtain it via certain other channels...
Aaah, didn't know E-Space wasn't in the US
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #17
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Oh yeah, Fate of Atlantis is one of the best adventure games (One of the best gaming experiences, period) that I've played. I remember my dad getting it for me back when we had the Amiga (It came on 11 floppies) and I just got totally sucked in. And I loved the boxart...

Later on, I obtained the talkie version for PC, republished by Kixx. The voiceacting adds a whole lot of character to the game, and is done brilliantly in my opinion. I found the voiceacting in The Infernal Machine not as good, and the voiceacting in the horrid (My opinion) Emperor's Tomb equally lacking.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Oh yeah, Fate of Atlantis is one of the best adventure games (One of the best gaming experiences, period) that I've played. I remember my dad getting it for me back when we had the Amiga (It came on 11 floppies) and I just got totally sucked in. And I loved the boxart...
The box art is indeed great. I have a "movie" poster of Fate of Atlantis hanging on my room. It makes me happy.

Quote:
Later on, I obtained the talkie version for PC, republished by Kixx. The voiceacting adds a whole lot of character to the game, and is done brilliantly in my opinion.
Particularly when one considers how new talkie games were to the PC scene, this really was quite excellent. Doug Lee (IIRC) did a great job as Indy, and the whole voice pack was very professional and really did enhance the game a great deal.

Old 10-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #19
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Quote:

The latter part of your argument regardless (though I had taken into consideration the times two games were made when I posted) - what the faak is the benefit of giving games stars if you can't look up a game you liked and see how it compares to a game you are planning to buy?!?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:09 PM   #20
Liver of Life

Quote:
The latter part of your argument regardless (though I had taken into consideration the times two games were made when I posted) - what the faak is the benefit of giving games stars if you can't look up a game you liked and see how it compares to a game you are planning to buy?!?
That's what they said...I think.

A thousand apologies if that isn't the AG policy and I have blundered.

Faak...cool work

EDIT:

This is the description for the 4.5 - 5 star

Quote:
An instant, Hall of Fame classic. Every true adventure fan must have this game in their library. Well worth any price!
Consequently, they're both instant, Hall of Fame classics. Except their own minor flaws, in certain ways detract from that perfect 5.

While one game may certainly be a little bit better than another (which is probably reflected in the review itself) they're both, at the end of the day, instant classics. That's how I see ratings, and how I believe they should be seen. They're not the only thing to consider when buying a game. What's the 1000 word essay there for?

Or something like that...

Last edited by Zygomaticus; 10-17-2003 at 03:14 PM.