You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Hype-O-Meter update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
Retirement is stupid

Default Hype-O-Meter update

Here's our most recent Hype-O-Meter update:

1. Sam & Max 2 (unchanged) - We continue to believe that, if marketed properly, this could be an extremely successful mainstream adventure.

2. Syberia II (unchanged) - I'll be the first to admit it; I'm really looking forward to this charming story continuing.

3. The Longest Journey 2 (unchanged) - Will begin a long, long reign at #1 in just a couple months.

4. Moment of Silence (up 2) - This will probably be surprising to some...but seriously, we're all absolutely stoked about this game, and we simply couldn't put anything else above it. We're planning some pretty heavy coverage very soon, so stay tuned!

5. Project Jane-J (down 1) - The silence on this project is more than a little disconcerting...only Jane Jensen's venerable name keeps it in the top 10.

6. LSL: Magna Cum Laude (down 1) - We sure wish we could hear some good news on the Al Lowe front...but our hopes are beginning to sink.

7. Fahrenheit (new) - You will see from our preview on Wednesday why it is that we're so excited about this game. Forum buzz continues to be strong as well.

8. Runaway 2 (down 1) - We're very happy about the fact that it exists. And that's about all we know right now.

9. Legacy: Dark Shadows (unchanged) - Sure seems like this game should be out by now, doesn't it?

10. The Westerner (new) - This one has bobbed in and out of the top ten...it takes the place of Midnight Nowhere this week. We really think there's potential here for an enjoyable game; we just hope it's easier to find than 3 Skulls of the Toltecs.

If there are any questions, please feel free to inquire. And of course, we always appreciate suggestions for which games we have over/underrated.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 02-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #2

This Hype-O-Meter update makes sense. All the games on the list look like they have potential. I can't wait until we learn more about Project Jane-J though.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

The Moment of Silence looks like it could be very good. I've said it before but I think House of Tales has talent and I think their second ag could be very good
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #4

The new Hype O-Meter update looks great, and I especially like the fact that Sam and Max: Freelance Police, and Syberia II are the top two most anticipated adventure games. Here are the games from the Hype-O-Meter that I really want to play.

1. Syberia II: I simply can't wait to play this game!
2. Sam and Max-Frelance police: The new mini-games that was announced on PC Gamer sound really intriguing. This should be a good adventure game at the same time, too.
3. Runaway 2: I'm glad to see that this game is on the list, also. Hopefully, we'll learn some more info about it soon.
4. Legacy: Dark Shadows: I hope this game will stop having delays soon because I really want to play it.
5. Longest Journey 2: I really believe that Ragnar Tornquist will make an excellent sequel, mainly because I absolutely loved the first game.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:19 AM   #5
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinger
5. Project Jane-J (down 1) - The silence on this project is more than a little disconcerting...only Jane Jensen's venerable name keeps it in the top 10.
Actually, I just noticed Project Jane-J's position on the Hype-O-Meter (I'm just noticing it now because I'm lazy ). I have to say, this is a crime! A travesty! Another synonym for something that isn't good! So what if it doesn't even have a title yet? Jane Jensen takes second place to no Moment of Silence. You blaspheme the name of Jensen!

What? Fanboy? Why, no. Why do you ask?

Anyway, if this is what your Hype-O-Meter is telling you I think it's a little off. You should have a hypologist come in and look at it. Hypology is a very exact science after all.

mag
Old 02-13-2004, 10:48 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I posted my current impressions here...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 02-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
4. Moment of Silence (up 2) - This will probably be surprising to some...but seriously, we're all absolutely stoked about this game, and we simply couldn't put anything else above it. We're planning some pretty heavy coverage very soon, so stay tuned!
I guess I was part of that "some" to whom you're referring. My feelings about House of Tales' first AG are well-documented and are shared by many other critics. To this day, it remains the only game I have ever where I had to pay to get it out of my house, giving it away for free to one of my eBay customers and paying the shipping out of my own pocket (for the complete boxed set).

For Moment of Silence to weigh in at #4 seems.... disingenuous. Given the critical thrashing MotD generally took, a cynical observer might be tempted to conclude that MoS's ranking on the Hype-O-Meter could be more related to Martin's association with Adventure Gamers than because of any actual anticipation of the game.

Just an opinion.

Last edited by BacardiJim; 02-13-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
Banned User

I know, I know. Gun to the head time again. Right, Martin?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #9

>>To this day, it remains the only game I have ever where I had to pay to
>>get it out of my house, giving it away for free to one of my eBay >>customers and paying the shipping out of my own pocket (for the
>> complete boxed set).

Indeed, Jim.

Your feelings about House of Tales are *more* than well documented, as you've been posting this story on almost every board on the internet and have waged a private war against the game in every single MOTD thread popping up out there.

Your repeatedly repeated repetitions of how repetetive you find the MOTD conversations trees and your illogically often posted posts about how illogical the MOTD puzzles are and how expensive it was to get the game out of your house are world-famous. In fact, my buddies at NASA tell me that "BarcardiJimHatesMOTD" will be engraved in a gold plate for the next PIONEER mission, because they think it is "the most published line in the history of mankind".

Oh, BTW Jim, did you notice that cat nailed to your front door this morning? Wonder what the "5 days remaining" written on it means...?

>>Martin's association with Adventure Gamers

I am not associated in any other way with AG than being a regular reader and posting here for the - um - maybe fourth time ever. If you personally DON'T anticipate our current game - the greatest thing I've ever written - then don't. But stop lecturing people on why they shouldn't, when they do. And stop creating conspiracy theories.

After all, that is MY job. And after all #2, I pay Marek a lot of money to keep that conspiracy secret.

CU in 5 days, Jim

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 02-13-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #10

>>I know, I know. Gun to the head time again. Right, Martin?

Sorry, I was writing when you posted this. As always, you're *of course* right.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 02-13-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
Banned User

I just want to say that I really appreciate that you keep a sense of humor about the fact that I so ummm... publicly hate MotD. It shows class, Martin. Sincerely.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:09 PM   #12
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
For Moment of Silence to weigh in at #4 seems.... disingenuous. Given the critical thrashing MotD generally took, a cynical observer might be tempted to conclude that MoS's ranking on the Hype-O-Meter could be more related to Martin's association with Adventure Gamers than because of any actual anticipation of the game.
That's absolutely the stupidest thing I've read all day. First of all, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by his "association" with Adventure Gamers other than he reads and enjoys our site...just like Ragnar Tornquist, Tim Schafer, Jane Jensen, Aaron Conners, Josh Mandel, Charles Cecil, etc. But second, I can't imagine what possesses you to conclude that the site you yourself write for has so little integrity that we simply slot the Hype-O-Meter based on who our buddies are.

If there's one thing we could use fewer of in the adventure game community, it's cynical observers.

- Evan

Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 PM   #13
Banned User

Well then, Chief. Why not give us a more logical explanation as to why the second game from House of Tales is ranked #4 on the Hype-O-Meter when their first game was almost universally panned? In the lack of any apparent rational reason for this, I made up a completely farcical (or "stupid" as you put it) reason. Martin, at least, got the joke and responded in kind.

Last edited by BacardiJim; 02-13-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #14
Retirement is stupid

Because we judge each game based on its own merits, not the mistakes of its predecessors. We certainly didn't quench our enthusiasm for Syberia just because Road to India and Amerzone were fairly mediocre. We (and by we, I mean those of us who made this decision) know quite a bit about Moment of Silence--much more than we know about the four games below it on the HOM, which is a factor--and firmly believe it's going to be an excellent game. We're excited about it. More excited than we are about Jane-J, which exists in name and story abstract only, and more excited than we are about Larry, which is looking less and less promising without Al Lowe's involvement. We love the story, we love the look of the game, and with what we know we sincerely trust that House of Tales has learned from their mistakes.

Logical enough?

Old 02-13-2004, 09:05 PM   #15
Banned User

Thanks for the explanation.

By the way, the AG review of Amerzone gives it 4 stars. In that instance, I agreed with Heidi.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:47 AM   #16

>>when their first game was almost universally panned?

Because, even when I take off my rose-colored glasses, it really wasn't. There's a wide (or rather: wild) range of opinions, in both press and community. In Germany, one of the world's largest adventure game markets, the game was a big success and warmly welcomed by the major critics.

Sure does MOTD have a lot of obvious flaws. I've spent many hours discussing them with my therapist at the local MOTD Conversation Tree Trauma Group.

But MOTD was created in 1999/2000. It was a debut, basically put together by four guys in three living rooms spread across two countries, at a budget that wouldn't even pay other games' cut scenes. It has sold close to 100.000 copies, and has gathered a nice following. When I step out my front door, there's always a crowd of girls throwing their panties at me.

The revenues from MOTD (and from reselling all that underwear) built a solid financial fundament for the development of The Moment of Silence. The project's vision has attracted some of the most respected and talented artists out there. This time, we're here for more. And I'm rather thankful that it's not our name, but our game that is responsible for any hype.

BTW, I've seen you didn't take down that cat from your door, Jim? Well, I've changed the 5 into a 4 now. Carpe diem!

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 02-14-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Banned User

Shouldn't that be carpe felis? :eek:
Old 02-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #18
comfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
>>I know, I know. Gun to the head time again. Right, Martin?

Sorry, I was writing when you posted this. As always, you're *of course* right.
Completely off-topic: Martin, you are aware that you can quote a message by pressing the "reply" button in the bottom right corner of the message in question, right?

Oh, and I agree on Sam & Max 2...
Old 02-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #19

>>Martin, you are aware that you can quote a message by pressing
>>the "reply" button

Absolutely.

Our own forums work very similar. I'm just used to that >>style - hope it's not a violation of the forum rules.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #20
Retirement is stupid

Well, normally we would ban people for it, but since AG has such a special "relationship" with you, we'll let it slide Martin.

- Evan