You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor
Default GK Feature

Hi there;

I'd like to comment on the Gabriel Knight Feature. It's a nice read, I'm looking forward to the Flashback Fridays, but there's one thing I disagree with;

Quote:
Gabriel, in his nearsighted way, tends to focus only on the case at hand: suspects he can actually tail, or evidence he can illegally wrest from crime scenes. Grace takes the larger view, digging through archival evidence for clues in past cases, finding where history overlaps with the world around her.
What is said here is only true for GK2. Think about it. In GK1, Gabe had to go through the entire game by himself. He did the reading up on history as well as the tracing of suspects all by himself.

In GK3, it is Gabriel who visits the museum about RLC's history and enigma, and he also discusses history with Abbé Arnaud and Larry Sinclair. The only research Gracie does is reading the book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", and joining the tour group. While the former is quite informative, the latter really isn't, and I'd have to say Gabriel learns a lot more about the history of RLC by himself.

Ofcourse, when Grace arrives, he tends to focus more on the suspects, and Grace did solve the LSR puzzle, but that's not really historical research.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts. Feel free to start criticizing me now. 8-)
Old 01-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor
Hi there;
What is said here is only true for GK2. Think about it. In GK1, Gabe had to go through the entire game by himself. He did the reading up on history as well as the tracing of suspects all by himself.
Actually, I don't think that's precisely true.

Spoiler:

Yes, the player only plays Gabriel in GK1 - but for the most part, Gabe *is* only concerned with the present. He's too busy caught up in his novel (and later chasing after Ms. Gedde's skirt) to really be worried about the historical significance of what's going on until the very end of the game -- and most of that is due to Grace's prompting.

For example: she 'accidentally' opens the package from Gabriel's uncle, being sure to tell him to read the diary.

It's Grace that does all the historical research (the first few days will only continue until giving Grace an assignment). And it's Grace that puts two and two together and saves Gabriel's butt in the swamp. By the end of the game, she's the one that's pieced together the thread of Malia and Gabe's family histories.

(thanks tabacco!)

This premise becomes more and more clear through the series (you're definitely right about GK2), but I think the seeds of it were planted way back in the first game.

As for GK3 -- if I had to split the 'present'/'historical' time-blocks up by character, I think Grace is definitely more interested in the history of the Grail and the area than Gabe is.

In the end I guess it's simply a matter of opinion, but that's how I see it.

Last edited by Peccable; 01-16-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #3
Dungeon Master

The main site says:
Quote:
As we prepare to review all three Gabriel Knight games, Dan gives us a look at the series as a whole.
Just curious: since there is a GK3 review on adventuregamers.com already, will there be another one submitted?
Old 01-15-2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peccable
Actually, I don't think that's precisely true.

*** SPOILER SPACE ***
Psst... just to let you know, there's a [ spoiler ]... [ /spoiler ] tag

Spoiler:
Voila!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Nice article (I think I'm going to replay GK2 now).

My only nitpick would be the lack of emphasizing how linked the games are with real history... A lot of the time you don't know what's real and what's not at all (especially with GK2, my favourite). It's one of the main things that make the GK games some of my msot favourite adventures.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #6
Under pressure.

I'll read the article tomorrow (I need some sleep first) but am I the only one who thinks Gabe looks awful in his 3D form? Just look at that picture on the front page of the feature where it shows Gabe's different heads.

--Erwin
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
The main site says: Just curious: since there is a GK3 review on adventuregamers.com already, will there be another one submitted?
What GK3 review?

Seriously though, our former GK3 review was by a staff member who left our site long ago and (against our wishes) republished the review elsewhere. We've been eager to replace it for some time now.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 01-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

who did that gabriel knight graphic on the front page? Very very nice. I like the graduation from gabriel 1 to 3. ... very slick.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
who did that gabriel knight graphic on the front page? Very very nice. I like the graduation from gabriel 1 to 3. ... very slick.
Marek does ALL graphics for the site.

- Evan

Old 01-16-2004, 03:35 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
For example: she 'accidentally' opens the package from Gabriel's uncle, being sure to tell him to read the diary.
But Gabe does read it. In fact, Gabe's well informed about everything concerning the past in GK1. One of the flaws with GK2 I think is that Gabriel is mostly kept in the dark about what Grace knows. It was like playing two separate games. In GK3, they were really working together, sharing information, etc. I really loved those 'get together' scenes in Gabriel's hotel room with Grace and mostly.

Quote:
(the first few days will only continue until giving Grace an assignment)
True, but Grace isn't a 'player character'. That would be the same like saying Grace didn't do any research in GK2 because she asked that professor to do it for her. The guy may have looked up the info for her, but she was the one to use the knowledge. The same goes for Gabriel in GK1. Grace did some research, and Gabe used the knowledge to further his investigation.

Quote:
As for GK3 -- if I had to split the 'present'/'historical' time-blocks up by character, I think Grace is definitely more interested in the history of the Grail and the area than Gabe is.
I agree. However, I got the feeling that the article on this site was trying to say that Gabriel didn't do any research on history at all, that he was only interested in the suspects, which isn't true either.

Quote:
...am I the only one who thinks Gabe looks awful in his 3D form?
I actually think his face looks best in GK3. It amazes me BTW that they all look so much alike. The hair may be very different each time, but the faces all have some common traits.

Quote:
We've been eager to replace it for some time now.
A shame. I really think GK3 got all the praise it deserved in that review. 8-)
Old 01-16-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq
Very very nice. I like the graduation from gabriel 1 to 3. ... very slick.
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
What GK3 review?
How cunning
Quote:
Seriously though, our former GK3 review was by a staff member who left our site long ago and (against our wishes) republished the review elsewhere. We've been eager to replace it for some time now.

- Evan
Does that mean the score will be changed as well? All right, I know, you won't reveal the actual rating beforehand, but will Dan (or whoever's to write the review) be allowed to give any number of stars he wishes?
Old 01-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
How cunning Does that mean the score will be changed as well? All right, I know, you won't reveal the actual rating beforehand, but will Dan (or whoever's to write the review) be allowed to give any number of stars he wishes?
Absolutely. It's a brand new review.

- Evan

Old 01-17-2004, 05:08 AM   #14
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
Nice article (I think I'm going to replay GK2 now).

My only nitpick would be the lack of emphasizing how linked the games are with real history... A lot of the time you don't know what's real and what's not at all (especially with GK2, my favourite). It's one of the main things that make the GK games some of my msot favourite adventures.
Just a thought. I think that it's easier to believe in the supernatural and mystery contained in GK1 as there it all is covered by vail of superstition and doubt. There's nothing certain and there's nothing obvious. There's no utlimate (my favourite word lately) presence of the supernatural beings. But in GK2 and 3 you have Werewolves' and Vampires' obvious manifestations.

Voodoo Cult is real (even "Bad Voodoo" sounds convincing) but Vampires and Werewolfs are myths, legends. While GK1 is really a thriller mystery the GK2&3 seem like a bit of mystery mixed with horror and fairy tale.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:54 AM   #15
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus
Just a thought. I think that it's easier to believe in the supernatural and mystery contained in GK1 as there it all is covered by vail of superstition and doubt. There's nothing certain and there's nothing obvious. There's no utlimate (my favourite word lately) presence of the supernatural beings. But in GK2 and 3 you have Werewolves' and Vampires' obvious manifestations.

Voodoo Cult is real (even "Bad Voodoo" sounds convincing) but Vampires and Werewolfs are myths, legends. While GK1 is really a thriller mystery the GK2&3 seem like a bit of mystery mixed with horror and fairy tale.
But in a world where you can put curses on a whole family, and control the minds of people, wouldn't the exsistance of werwolves and vampires be just as plausible? And the GK3 vampires weren't vampire vampires anyway... (Allthough the explanation we get instead is maybe even MORE outlandish....)

I think Jane Jensen managed to make all the supernatural elements in her story sound equally plausible because of her convincing way of tying it up with real history.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #16
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyos
But in a world where you can put curses on a whole family, and control the minds of people, wouldn't the exsistance of werwolves and vampires be just as plausible? And the GK3 vampires weren't vampire vampires anyway... (Allthough the explanation we get instead is maybe even MORE outlandish....)
You know, you can put a curse on a person in real life too if you're a shaman or a priest. Whetther you believe it or not doesn't matter, because ritual such as cursing really exists and it's easier and more believeable when incorparated into story. And the mind controlling in GK1 is simply a hypnosys. In GK1 the main danger is a voodoo sect. In GK2&3 it's - simply put - monsters. Which one is more satisfying in terms of believability? Voodoo cult or monsters?

Of course GK3 with it's theologic approach was still very plausible just the nature of the vampires was very "classic". And as for GK2 case - I am theorizing cause I still haven't the chance to buy and play full, original version.

Quote:
I think Jane Jensen managed to make all the supernatural elements in her story sound equally plausible because of her convincing way of tying it up with real history.
I agree that she does and extraordinary great job when it comes to mixing the real history and real life settings with supernatural. I'm not saying she doesn't. It's just the problem of the very substrates of her stories. It's the matter of voodoo vs monsters. Ms Jane Jensen is still one of the greatest and most convincing story-tellers in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #17
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajus
Of course GK3 with it's theologic approach was still very plausible just the nature of the vampires was very "classic". And as for GK2 case - I am theorizing cause I still haven't the chance to buy and play full, original version.
Religion doesn't make anything more plausible or believable. And the whole action-packed ending was definitely not believable. The same could be said about a certain place with mummies in GK1.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 01-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #18
(Va-yoosh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
Religion doesn't make anything more plausible or believable.
Yes it does By definition faith does that. But seriously though. Christian motives are just as believable as voodoo ones. Not just because they have so much in common but because it's easier to believe in dark voodoo priests or decendents of disciples than in vampires, werewolves, frankenstein and/or chtulhu.

Quote:
And the whole action-packed ending was definitely not believable. The same could be said about a certain place with mummies in GK1.
That's 'certain' and 'ending' against the main theme.

edit: what's with the supposed "action packed" ending? You mean it's style is more of an Indiana Jones type? Yes it is a bit too anti-climatic - especially the swinging blade pendulum. At the other hand the chamber of the Solomon where Gabe has to made some crucial choices is very "solomonic" and fits perfectly into the story.

Last edited by Wajus; 01-17-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:53 AM   #19
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

I like it when the characters have (more or less) supernatural motives, i.e. Gabe'd dreams and his shattenjäger stuff, but when the world itself begins to have too much supernatural things I quickly become bored. The mummies in GK1, the physical change to werewolves in GK2 and the swinging pendulum, falling floor tiles etc. in the ending of GK3 are all ingredients that should have been skipped and the games would have become better than they are now.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony