You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Finding Post Numbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Squeaky

Default Finding Post Numbers

I often want to link to a specific post within another thread (i.e. not just link to a single post). For example:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?p=191494#post191494

However, I always have a hard time determining the actual post number to include in the script (the '191494' in the above case). Is there an easy way to find it?

The way I've been finding it until now is by clicking the 'Post Reply' button on the relevant thread. On the next screen, if I leave the cursor hovering over the particular post that I want to link to, it shows the post number (although this only works if the post that you want is recent enough to be shown on the 'reply to thread' page).

I can also find it by doing a 'Find More Posts by User' search, but that requires a lot of trawling through search results for ĂĽber posters.

Either way, I get the impression I'm making things unnecessarily difficult for myself. I'm missing something obvious, aren't I?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Right click on the post # (say post #6) and hit copy link location?

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...88&postcount=7

Nevermind, that just gives you a single post.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
Squeaky

Thanks Mel. That method still helps because the post number is shown in the URL. That's a much easier way to find it than the way I've been going about it.

I can't believe the number of times I've clicked those little "post link" things hoping to find the answer to this problem but continually failed to notice that the URL includes the post number.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
merely human

simpsie

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #5

I usually get the post number using the method Melanie explained (you can just get the number by hovering over the link if your browser displays the target URL on the bottom bar), and then link to it using [post=304328]ooh, a nice post[/post], which renders as ooh, a nice post.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
and then link to it using [post=304328]ooh, a nice post[/post]
Ah, thanks for that. Very handy indeed, and much easier to remember than the way I've been doing it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #7

People should all read this page, it can be useful.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
Squeaky

Some interesting stuff in those forum FAQs. I just linked to them via the link you just posted but, out of curiosity, how would one normally navigate to them? The only button I can see is the 'FAQ' between 'User CP' and 'Members List', but when I click that it takes me to the main site FAQ, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious link to the forum specific one from there.

There should be an FAQ FAQ.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 06-17-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #9

I don't know how to get to that FAQ. The page I linked to can be accessed by clicking vB code at the bottom left corner of the page, but I don't know how to get to the forums FAQ directly. It used to be easy (long ago), but something must have been changed during a site revamp at some point. I guess Doug would know.

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 06-17-2006 at 05:08 AM.