You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Archived Developer Chats Fahrenheit Chat few thoughts about story and special effects

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #1

Default few thoughts about story and special effects

I have a few thoughts about the game to share with you. I liked it to a certain extent, but I still cannot lose the feeling that it could be so much more, especially storywise. I really liked first part of the game when the story was revealing itself bit by bit, but all fun was soon over when I found out that fate of the world depended on me. Again. Don't you think that for a game that is(will?) be known for its fresh approach to storytelling the plot is rather too cliche? As a huge adventure game fan I almost stopped playing the game at that point, only things that kept me going were fantasic atmosphere, direction and fast pace. But none the less, after finishing the game I was left with a sour taste in my mouth as I realized I did not need to see any of the action sequences. I thought to myself, wouldn't all the money used for special effects be better used for hiring a professional/proved writer? I don't mind sci-fi or paranormal elements (I'm a huge fan of both), but these elements have to be used the right way to work. I know that explosions sell, but they are never what really makes a movie good.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you continue making good games in future.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #2

I must avoid I lacked courage to a certain extend. I was so scared when I wrote these scenes where Tyler wakes up in the morning, takes a shower, get his clothes, drinks coffee and chat with his girlfriend before going to work, that I felt I had to do something "gamy" and spectacular with explosions. That was a mistake and a lack of faith in what I was trying to create. Probably a lack of fate in the fact that there were gamers out there who could have interest only in a story.

I also wanted to play with archetypes. Getting people on board with this new concept was a challenge difficult enough not to had a very personal story to it. Except for the very last scenes, I think it worked quite well.

The game brings something that some people missed : it creates a language for interactive storytelling. It required an incredible amount of efforts to make storytelling fluid and almost organic. Now that the format and the language is created, we will focused on telling better stories in a better way. We know that there are gamers out there having interest in stories, so we will give them better ones.

The concept of Indigo Prophecy comes from very far : one month from now, a lot of people thought that interactive storytelling could never exist and would never sale.

It took a lot of time to the cinema to invent its own narrative language. Give us some time and you will be amazed by how fast we learn...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
The concept of Indigo Prophecy comes from very far : one month from now, a lot of people thought that interactive storytelling could never exist and would never sale.

It took a lot of time to the cinema to invent its own narrative language. Give us some time and you will be amazed by how fast we learn...
I can't wait to see what you guys come up with next.

I too felt that the game dove too quickly into the whole "I'm the world savior" storyline. It only bothered me slightly though...as the game on whole kept me playing to see what happens next.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cage
we will focused on telling better stories in a better way
I think the story's already pretty good (though maybe a tad bit too clichey in some of the subplots): I mean, AI (artificial life) hunting for the secret of (biological) life makes all the sense and only underlines the I in this particular fictional AI!

However, I found the story was told too quickly. The player hardly got a chance (or was forced/encouraged) to sit back and think about what might be behind all this. Sometimes, it's good to force the player to do some guessing and improvisation, in my opinion. (Which, effectively, includes allowing the player to try things that will fail.)