You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Another problrm with my computer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #1

Default Another problrm with my computer

All of a sudden my DVD drive 's unable to read any discs at all. I've tired a System Restore, after it restarts I get a message saying the System Restore is 'incomplete'

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive.

I think it may have been caused because I tried playing an old Windows 95 game and played around with the files. But I'm not sure.

Anything I can try? I'm not gonna format the machine.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Is the computer not detecting the drive within Windows at all, or can it simply not read the discs? You could try uninstalling the drivers for the drive, and then reinstalling using the "Add new hardware" option.

Alternatively, it could just be that the drive has worn out - this happened to me just last week . How old is your PC?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Is the computer not detecting the drive within Windows at all, or can it simply not read the discs? You could try uninstalling the drivers for the drive, and then reinstalling using the "Add new hardware" option.

Alternatively, it could just be that the drive has worn out - this happened to me just last week . How old is your PC?
Both. I did to an uninstall in Device Manager, restarted and it detected the drive.

Computer's about 13 months old.

Shall I try updating the drive?
Old 08-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #4
merely human

You haven't been playing any game with Starforce in it, have you?

Of course, that would be just one of many possible screw ups to happen to your system.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
I think it may have been caused because I tried playing an old Windows 95 game and played around with the files. But I'm not sure.
What files? If you mean windows files, then you might need to restore them (which System Restore should have done). I forget exactly how it's done, if you can't find it, or someone doesn't come up with a better diagnosis then I'm sure I can dig it up.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Squeaky

I had a similar problem last week. My CD burner stopped working - it would read discs but couldn't burn (it would spin the disc up and then just spit the dummy).

I originally thought it was down to that stinking piece of irritationware Starforce (which came with Trackmania Sunrise). I tried using different kinds of CDs, downloaded a Starforce removal tool, uninstalled my burner, ran a flash update of my burner's firmware, and uninstalled my burning software, but the problem still remained.

I eventually pulled the burner out of my machine and tested it in a different PC. It didn't work there either, so I figured the drive was busted, and went out and bought a new DVD burner (they're so cheap now ). Wish I'd done that test first - would've saved me a lot of trouble (it would've also stopped me messing with my registries, which has meant I'm no longer able to play Trackmania Sunrise unless I crack it or reinstall Windows ).

Anyway, to cut a long post short (possibly a bit late for that actually ), do you have another PC you can test your DVD drive in?

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 08-13-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #7

I called PC Performance, I'm getting another DVD drive sent out next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You haven't been playing any game with Starforce in it, have you?

Of course, that would be just one of many possible screw ups to happen to your system.
Is Starforce like DosBox?

I won The 11th Hour on eBay, and was trying to play that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
What files? If you mean windows files, then you might need to restore them (which System Restore should have done). I forget exactly how it's done, if you can't find it, or someone doesn't come up with a better diagnosis then I'm sure I can dig it up.
Just the game's files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Anyway, to cut a long post short (possibly a bit late for that actually ), do you have another PC you can test your DVD drive in?
Nope, just this computer.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
Is Starforce like DosBox?
Starforce is a copy protection system beloved of publishers like Digital Jesters (who are otherwise good, honest!). You'll know if you've played any games that use it because they require you to type in a CD key and then reboot your computer when you install the game - even if it's singleplayer only - and it then scans your CD every time you play. Lots of people have technical problems with the system, because it doesn't like some hardware, and it's generally considered to be the bane of many a gamer's existence.

On the other hand, it is a reasonable system when it comes to protecting files. Allegedly.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.