You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #1
fire breathing

Default new laptop....

I just bought my college laptop from dell. *does new computer dance*.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #2

Do you go to UW?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
merely human

Congratulations!! Which one is it, the 9300? I don't own a laptop myself, but big R's dad loaned his old WinBook so I can work on my writing at wi-fi cafes (I find I'm more industrious in that kind of environment) and right outside in the front yard. Very convenient and comfy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

i love my laptop, it's realy fast and does what i need to do...

half life 2 runs perfect on it, amd 3200+ 64 bit....yay!!!
ATI 9700 pro

Old 07-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
merely human

Does AMD 3200 mean it's 3.2GHz?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #6

I personally don't like laptops because of the small screen and small keyboard. Harder to customize as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Does AMD 3200 mean it's 3.2GHz?
No, it's a 2 GHz.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
I personally don't like laptops because of the small screen and small keyboard. Harder to customize as well.
Depends on what you want. For me laptops are more about portability than serious gaming. I want to be able to work on my writing and do other things anywhere at any time, so a small screen means nothing to me for that. I prefer to game on my desktop at home, or on my Xbox.

Quote:
No, it's a 2 GHz.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #8
guybrush_guy

actualy it's 2.2 ghz. the reason that AMD calls it a 3200+ because it compeats with the P4 3.2 ghz. pentium does their clock speed diffrent so a P4 that says it has 3.2 ghz really is only 2.2 ghz.
thats one reason why i refuse to by pentium because they try missleading their customers into thinking that their equipment is faster but it's not.

Last edited by guybrush_guy; 07-17-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
merely human

Really? I didn't know that, thanks. I do know that AMD processors are a little better for hardcore gaming. Ideally I'd love a laptop with that and a reasonably good ATI card so I can at least do a little gaming as a nice break from an hour of writing at a wi-fi cafe. But I'm broke for now and don't expect to get one for some time.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Do you go to UW?
nein, I be goin' far, far away....to a place called "Massachusetts" to commence my post-secondary education. I'm getting a lattitude 610.