You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat "Thank you, officer."

View Poll Results: Have you thanked a police officer for writing you a ticket... for some reason?
Yes! What the hell, it was like my mouth was moving on its own! 3 50.00%
No way! I work to prevent the perpetuation of that sort of verbal oppression. Or I dislike cops. 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #21
Banned User

I don't think I've given any thank-yous. I did ask one to help me because it was my first time downtown ever and I was lost and in being lost I was confused in the construction area I ended up in, not knowing I ran a red light.

Didn't prevent a ticket at all, but he did help me get home.

I did go to court and plead guilty.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:37 AM   #22
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Pride? Functually worthless? I disagree. It has a lot of functual worth, but it tends to be a longterm investment. If you have no pride, you won't defend your views because you don't consider them worth it, hence you have no backbone, hence you will quickly turn into a push-over. Okay, exaggeration here, but maybe I can get my point across.

There are numerous occasions where pride is counterproductive, though (as with almost every emotion), and regarding the one addressed here, that's a definite match. So I'm assuming perhaps you were referring to that, in which case, I wholeheartedly agree.

Honestly said I fret a lot, inwardly, over cops who hide behind their status - some seem to think because they wear a badge they can approach you with any amount of rudeness they see fit. Of course this is the minority (at least, around here it seems to be, I can't vouch for elsewhere). But if I see one of those, and I have, once in my life, it takes a lot of my concentration not to snap right back at them.

Anyway, I don't think I'd ever dish out a thank you, except to an exceptionally kind and explanative type of cop. Then even the worst fine, if it's given to me, becomes something I will look past and at the personality of the person who has obviously tried to put a genuine effort into convincing me it is neccessary. That sort of thing.

So... nope But then, I don't commonly get pulled over, for the simple reason that I don't drive. So this is all theoretical at best.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 AM   #23
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Ah, the "Barney Fife/John Wayne" syndrome rears it's ugly head. A lot of young cops, fresh out of the academy, feel it is their job to save the world from itself. The see themselves as tough, benevolent John Wayne, but most just wind up coming off more like strident and reactionary Barney Fife. As cops become more seasoned and experienced, they usually get over this syndrome.
If you want to experience real humiliation, just wait until a cop who is noticably younger than you writes you a ticket. I got one from a cop who still had acne, who couldn't have needed a shave more than once a week, and whose voice actually cracked when he said "Sir, can I see your license?". I felt like saying "Not until I see yours, kiddo!", but I restrained myself.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 06-17-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #24

I got pulled over about a month ago for speeding. I was a bit upset because I just sped up to facilitate merging onto a new freeway from the right lane to the left. Anyways, the cop had a bit of an attitude right off the bat which I hate. Interesting side note, it was a motorcycle cop. Am I the only one who thinks they are always more aggressive? Asking me things like, "Why are you in a hurry?" and "What's so important that you have to speed to get there?" Basically trying to goad me into talking back. I totally bit my tongue so as to not make things worse for me. Just signed and accepted the ticket, gave a fake smile. Then started my car up, and wide opened throttled my way back onto the freeway, hopefully spraying a pebble or three onto him.

But in general I respect policemen a great deal. I believe the majority of them do a great public service, so I always try to go out of my way and treat them nicely and with respect. There's always a few bad apples in any group.